Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jiajun
This has happened to me twice when exiting Hong Kong through the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal using the special lane.

The customs officer looks at the back of my card where it says "Valid for entry to: " and sees that nothing is printed there. He then says "Sorry sir, this card is not valid in Hong Kong."

I try to explain to him that all ABTC cards from Canada and USA look like this because they are not valid for visa-free travel, only for using the special lane / diplomatic lane. The idiot just keeps telling me that the card is not valid in Hong Kong and I should check why there are no countries printed on the back.

This exact same situation happened to me on 2 of 3 recent visits to HK when exiting the HK-Macau Ferry Terminal. I have never had a problem using the card in the special lane when entering HK through the same ferry terminal. Also no problems entering/exiting from the airport in Hong Kong or entering and exiting China.

Has anyone else had this problem with a Canadian or USA ABTC card?

Does anyone know if Canada plans to join APEC as a full member in the future?
Is it the same inspector? I would suggest escalating to management to correct their error.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by jiajun
This has happened to me twice when exiting Hong Kong through the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal using the special lane.

The customs officer looks at the back of my card where it says "Valid for entry to: " and sees that nothing is printed there. He then says "Sorry sir, this card is not valid in Hong Kong."

I try to explain to him that all ABTC cards from Canada and USA look like this because they are not valid for visa-free travel, only for using the special lane / diplomatic lane. The idiot just keeps telling me that the card is not valid in Hong Kong and I should check why there are no countries printed on the back.

This exact same situation happened to me on 2 of 3 recent visits to HK when exiting the HK-Macau Ferry Terminal. I have never had a problem using the card in the special lane when entering HK through the same ferry terminal. Also no problems entering/exiting from the airport in Hong Kong or entering and exiting China.
if you are travelling through HKG often, you may want to consider getting an E-Gate sticker, which only takes a few minutes to obtain. From my experience, using the E-gates is faster going in and getting out than using the ABTC card for a fast lane queue.

In case you are not familiar with that, you can get one at an office just after arrivals immigration and the immigration officer will direct you to it. Requirements for the sticker are either three trips to HKG in the past year or an airline Gold status or above,
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Data Point

Hi!

I was an early adopter of the APEC card. Just renewing now. Did the online renewal through GOES and was approved within a half hour. No return visit or signature. Informed that the replacement card would be mailed. Expiration date is that of my passport in 2019.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by handspring088
Hi!

I was an early adopter of the APEC card. Just renewing now. Did the online renewal through GOES and was approved within a half hour. No return visit or signature. Informed that the replacement card would be mailed. Expiration date is that of my passport in 2019.

Are you going to renew your passport and extend your APEC card before the U.S. issuance of cards ends next year? (... barring an unexpected extension of life by Congress, of course....)

(This is a good reminder to everyone to renew older passports before enrolling in APEC, especially as we approach mid-2018 (leaving a few months for the renewal process before September 30, 2018).)

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Sep 22, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Are you going to renew your passport and extend your APEC card before the U.S. issuance of cards ends next year? (... barring an unexpected extension of life by Congress, of course....)

(This is a good reminder to everyone to renew older passports before enrolling in APEC, especially as we approach mid-2018 (leaving a few months for the renewal process before September 30, 2018).)
There is legislation removing the sunset clause making it's way in Congress.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 30, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
FUK earlier this month:
Inbound there is an ABTC line (labeled APEC) which is separate, but once you go through it, you just end merging with the Foreigners line anyway.

Outbound no ABTC option.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love this card. So far I've used it at SGN, ICN, PVG, SHA, TPE, TSA and BKK. Works like a charm every time. The biggest time saving so far has been at BKK but for me the best part about it, living in Shanghai, is that I can use it on exit from China as well so I can return to showing up 1:15 before my international flights again and not worry about getting stuck in the ever increasing queues.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by seawolf
There is legislation removing the sunset clause making it's way in Congress.
Passed Senate on 26 SEP.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 30, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:01 am

Passed Senate on 26 SEP.
,👍
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I'm considering applying for this due to frequent business visits to TYO. I am curious if there are any restrictions to using the card for tourist visits as well?

I have a Chinese 10yr L visa (tourist) and sometimes visit. Would I be able to use the APEC line while on an L visa (not visiting for business purposes)?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by sturges
I'm considering applying for this due to frequent business visits to TYO. I am curious if there are any restrictions to using the card for tourist visits as well?

I have a Chinese 10yr L visa (tourist) and sometimes visit. Would I be able to use the APEC line while on an L visa (not visiting for business purposes)?
Not sure how TYO and a Chinese L visa relate but technically not allowed but real world experience is YMMV.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Chinese L visa relate but technically not allowed but real world experience is YMMV.
I agree. Last time entering PVG, I was chatting with the guy in front of me and he was a bit nervous he was going to get sent to the end of the regular line but he didn't have any issues, but totally YMMV

While not related to entering China but related trying to using the APEC card when entering a country for non-business purposes. I witnessed someone attempt to use an APEC card at CGK without a business visa after declaring that he was in the county for "important meetings", they sent him to some side room....he didn't seem real bright.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Not sure how TYO and a Chinese L visa relate but technically not allowed but real world experience is YMMV.
Chinese visa would be to enter China...
I mentioned TYO to clarify that I was looking for ABTC for legitimate business purposes.

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I agree. Last time entering PVG, I was chatting with the guy in front of me and he was a bit nervous he was going to get sent to the end of the regular line but he didn't have any issues, but totally YMMV

While not related to entering China but related trying to using the APEC card when entering a country for non-business purposes. I witnessed someone attempt to use an APEC card at CGK without a business visa after declaring that he was in the county for "important meetings", they sent him to some side room....he didn't seem real bright.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:40 am

Renewal window before ABTC expiration

Originally Posted by handspring088
Hi!

On this topic, does anyone know how long before an ABTC card's expiration date you can renew it? I'd think it would be exactly one year, like for Global Entry, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it was shorter (apologies if this question is already buried in this thread).

I ask because I'm trying to time it so that my next ABTC expires about the same time as my passport.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Nexpoman
On this topic, does anyone know how long before an ABTC card's expiration date you can renew it? I'd think it would be exactly one year, like for Global Entry, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it was shorter (apologies if this question is already buried in this thread).
30 days. Earlier in the thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28228225-post1205.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.