Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/43.0.2357.61 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4)

Disappointed this week at Montreal. Despite using the apec card six or seven times, the agent said I couldn't use the crew line at all as I wasn't a diplomat or crew member. Clearly against the terms of an abtc card from their own government website.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK/1 MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hotels.com Gold, National Car EMC
Originally Posted by 86gn
They did for me. It took about 2 minutes. Your approval letter probably states that walk-ins are ok for APEC.
I called DFW Enrollment center this morning and they said they won't take any walk-ins and I MUST have an appointment.
So I booked a one day turn-around to IAH for tomorrow after making the appointment online.

I wonder if I should have gave walk-in a try before booking my flight...
Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/43.0.2357.61 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4)

Disappointed this week at Montreal. Despite using the apec card six or seven times, the agent said I couldn't use the crew line at all as I wasn't a diplomat or crew member. Clearly against the terms of an abtc card from their own government website.
I recall seeing an ABTC sign in the YUL arrivals hall near the NEXUS kiosks directing ABTC to diplomat/crew. If they didn't remove that sign the agent was just misinformed.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt

Originally Posted by seawolf
Originally Posted by BobbySteel

I recall seeing an ABTC sign in the YUL arrivals hall near the NEXUS kiosks directing ABTC to diplomat/crew. If they didn't remove that sign the agent was just misinformed.
I was in a rush and she eventually relented "just this once" but she conferred with two other agents before she told me this which is worrisome
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:20 am

As Ari pointed out, technically you should be using the ABTC for business travel not leisure. YMMV.
Got lucky.... Officer never blinked and passed me through.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:38 pm

US ABTC good enough for entry to PRC mainland?

I'm getting conflicting information from US CBP and the Chinese Embassy visa section regarding the ABTC. As has been oft cited in this thread, CBP says the card doesn't work as a visa. According to the Chinese US embassy website

4. Holders of Valid APEC Business Travel Card

The APEC Business Travel Card is a substitute of a multiple-entry visa valid for 3 years. A card holder who presents a valid passport whose image and biometric data exactly matches that on the APEC Business Travel Card can enter China multiple times during the validity of the card for a stay of no more than 2 months each time.
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/zgqz/#3

In an email to the PRC Embassy's visa section, I explained the purposes and details of my upcoming visit (flying into HKG and entering PRC by train in Shenzhen, then flying in country to PEK and PVG) and asked specifically

Please let me know if membership in the APEC program is sufficient to allow us to enter and travel within the PRC, or if a business visa is required.
to which they replied:

no you don't need a visa if you have valid apec card and passport. http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/zgqz/#3
Personally, I'd rather see that reply from PRC Border Guard... but has anyone tried to enter mainland China with a US ABTC and no visa? Is there anyway of confirming what the PRC policy is on this? Its entirely possible that the PRC policy on US ABTCs differs from what the CBP has published (especially since the CBP page doesn't look like its been updated since they started issuing cards.)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango
Its entirely possible that the PRC policy on US ABTCs differs from what the CBP has published (especially since the CBP page doesn't look like its been updated since they started issuing cards.)
Possible? Yes.

Likely? No.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Personally, I'd rather see that reply from PRC Border Guard... but has anyone tried to enter mainland China with a US ABTC and no visa? Is there anyway of confirming what the PRC policy is on this? Its entirely possible that the PRC policy on US ABTCs differs from what the CBP has published (especially since the CBP page doesn't look like its been updated since they started issuing cards.)
The PRC is confused because they assume your ABTC card has the endorsement (visa) on it and forget the US cards do not. You will need a separate visa in your passport unless your trip is under the 72h visa free transit rule - and you would be denied boarding before leaving the US anyway (it's hard enough getting most airline agents to even understand the 72h rule let alone a ABTC card)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:41 pm

Thanks. I'm actually not entering the PRC by air because I'm flying into Hong Kong, so the airline is not the problem. Its the Chinese border guards in Shenzhen that will make the call to accept the card or not. In my email to the embassy I made it clear that I was a US Citizen and that the statement on their website contradicts the US government's site.

I replied to their email explicitly asking if a US issued card without any entry endorsements can be used for entry into the PRC and that I'd like to be sure of the PRC Ministry of Public Security policy on the matter. Hopefully the person answering visa emails will forward my question to someone in the MPS for an answer.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...Hopefully the person answering visa emails will forward my question to someone in the MPS for an answer.
Unless you have no real reason to go there and being turned back to HK won't be a problem, I wouldn't bank on an accurate answer from the PRC people
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Thanks. I'm actually not entering the PRC by air because I'm flying into Hong Kong, so the airline is not the problem. Its the Chinese border guards in Shenzhen that will make the call to accept the card or not. In my email to the embassy I made it clear that I was a US Citizen and that the statement on their website contradicts the US government's site.

I replied to their email explicitly asking if a US issued card without any entry endorsements can be used for entry into the PRC and that I'd like to be sure of the PRC Ministry of Public Security policy on the matter. Hopefully the person answering visa emails will forward my question to someone in the MPS for an answer.
None of these "answers" will change the fact: You cannot enter China on your US ABTC card alone.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
None of these "answers" will change the fact: You cannot enter China on your US ABTC card alone.
Thanks for answering, but if you don't mind my asking, what is your answer based on?

I understand what US CBP has put out and also how the scheme is designed to work, but I've gotten two responses from Chinese officials regarding this. Don't you think it would be perfectly reasonable if the PRC had a policy which granted US trusted travelers with the ABTC card the same privileges as other ABTC card holders, despite how the scheme is intended to work? After all, its in their interest to enable as much trade as possible with the US.

I just sent another email to the MFA office in Beijing that oversees their ABTC program asking for an official response as to what the policy is. The company I work for does several billion USD in business with China annually, and this could help us do even more... so hopefully I'll get an authoritative response one way or the other. I wanted to know if anyone else had done this legwork and where it had gotten them or if they'd been permitted entry into the Chinese mainland using just a US APEC card and a passport.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for answering, but if you don't mind my asking, what is your answer based on?
Based on the fact that US/Canada are transitional ABTC countries which means the US/Canada ABTC application process does not involve sending the application over to other ABTC countries for "pre-clearance."

Pre-clearance is what exempts the visa requirements. Pre-clearance approval would result in the approval country's endorsement to appear on the back of the ABTC. Check the back of your card. If it does not have CHN, then the card is only good for APEC/crew/diplomat lane access and nothing more.
pilotsnoopy likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:10 pm

Based on the fact that US/Canada are transitional ABTC countries which means the US/Canada ABTC application process does not involve sending the application over to other ABTC countries for "pre-clearance."

Pre-clearance is what exempts the visa requirements. Pre-clearance approval would result in the approval country's endorsement to appear on the back of the ABTC. Check the back of your card. If it does not have CHN, then the card is only good for APEC/crew/diplomat lane access and nothing more.
Understood. That's why I was initially surprised at the discrepancy and also why I'm not taking the first two answers for granted.

Just because the scheme is supposed to work a certain way, doesn't mean that's the way the government of the PRC is going to do it, especially if its in their interest to be different. If I get an official response from Beijing, I'll share that too.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
My personal experience.

I have Chinese visa near the very end of my passport.
I always show up with the ABTC card on top of the passport.
Border guard always gives me back the ABTC card immediately and then searches through the passport for, I presume, visa.
Once the visa is found, the search stops. So I presume they are not looking at various stamps in my passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.