FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1285063-us-canadian-issued-apec-business-travel-card-abtc-updates-experiences-q.html)

NickP 1K Jun 15, 2014 1:23 pm

I am primarily business/trade anyway so no issues for me

Paid the $70 yesterday and did the application and got near immediate accept from GOES; it WILL ask you to schedule an appointment but it seems based on wording you can also go in earlier (CBP employee load pending) and do it as "walk in" as long as you have active Global Entry. They need to get a digital signature and notify you of T&C's

Will advise if I get a chance to go to LAX this week and complete

mikef11 Jun 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 23028087)
I'm considering this as further evidence that it is the Canadian citizenship that is hiding the button for for mikef11. Wouldn't be surprise if/when CBSA announces application process open for ABTC, the button would appear. I'm speculating when programming the website for ABTC, CBP forgot about US/Canadian dual citizens and does not have code in place to handle these individuals in allowing them to specify whether they are applying for US or Canadian ABTC.

Thanks for reporting it in...

CBP....facepalm

I logged in to GOES today and saw the button to apply for ABTC. it only asked for my US passport info and I was conditionally approved within 10 min like everyone else reported. thanks guys!

Theforeigner Jun 15, 2014 2:28 pm

Offices not accepting signatures just yet

Got conditional approval for APEC card - went to sfo office location today and they said they were not set up to take signatures or process APEC card yet..said I should call the office end of June to check and most likely will have to make appointment as they awe really busy

Is any office accepting signatures at the moment?

Theforeigner Jun 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Went to sfo office ands was told that they had no set up to process APEC signatures - said I should call in at the end of the money to check if they were set up...

NickP 1K Jun 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Theforeigner (Post 23038723)
Got conditional approval for APEC card - went to sfo office location today and they said they were not set up to take signatures or process APEC card yet..said I should call the office end of June to check and most likely will have to make appointment as they awe really busy

Is any office accepting signatures at the moment?

Figured this may be the case.... I booked an appt for July 12th in case but will try to do walk ins at LAX, SFO or DFW when connecting through any of those.

Shame the invite letter didn't state "please wait till June XX" to book as local offices may not have process in place to assist.

Theforeigner Jun 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Officer at sfo said he did not know when exactly they would implement it - good luck keep us posted

alphaod Jun 15, 2014 11:25 pm

So do I need to go to an office in the US to get this done, or can I do while I'm in Asia?

I look foward to setting up an interview, but I would hope someone can give feedback that's it's possible. I don't want to fly to US to get the card only to find they're not setup yet.

Recently I have found the immigration lines in Asia is absolutely terrible, so this card would definitely expedite things.

NickP 1K Jun 16, 2014 9:12 am

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 23040506)
So do I need to go to an office in the US to get this done, or can I do while I'm in Asia?

This has NOTHING to do with processing in Asia. The US is a member of APEC which means as a US Citizen you get an ABTC card in the US.

Only way to apply is through GOES (looks like you need to be a Global Entry or Nexus or Sentri Member first): https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

The US is solely responsible for processing and completing your application and generating your ABTC card.

If you have citizenship from another country that is an APEC member then you can apply via them: http://travel.apec.org/apply.html

NOTE: APEC members are applying reciprocal entries. So example, since China ABTC members cannot get visa free to the US (but can use expedited crew lanes in the US), China does NOT allow visa free travel for US ABTC members. You still need a proper China visa but you can use the ABTC lane in Chinese airports.

Ari Jun 16, 2014 9:37 am

Originally Posted by NickP 1K (Post 23042288)
NOTE: APEC members are applying reciprocal entries. So example, since China ABTC members cannot get visa free to the US (but can use expedited crew lanes in the US), China does NOT allow visa free travel for US ABTC members. You still need a proper China visa but you can use the ABTC lane in Chinese airports.

Hopefully China will make getting a visa easier for ABTC holders like US Embassies and Consulates do.

NickP 1K Jun 16, 2014 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 23042441)
Hopefully China will make getting a visa easier for ABTC holders like US Embassies and Consulates do.

The Chinese consulate websites in the US still state this.... Looks like some folks may try to show up with an ABTC card and get turned away (well at least you have a 72 hour landing visa these days now anyway for China)

http://losangeles.china-consulate.or...sa/t907679.htm

4. Holders of Valid APEC Business Travel Card

The APEC Business Travel Card is a substitute of a multiple-entry visa valid for 3 years.A card holder who presents a valid passport of the same person at the same time can enter China multiple times during the validity of the card for a stay of no more than 2 months each time.
I don't see this being the case for US ABTC cards if US is not doing reciprocal for Chinese ABTC holders.

Main reason for me is shorter line control in PVG, PEK and also NRT - I would live visa free to China but can live without it as I generally get 12-24 month multi entry each application time

drewguy Jun 16, 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 23034329)

(Just wanted everyone to know before you drop $70. This program is different from GlobalEntry/NEXUS/etc.)

Yes . . . found that out only at the end of the application process!

dtsm Jun 16, 2014 1:29 pm

FWIW, [the below posts] reported that the CBT facility at both SFO and Terminal 4, JFK did not have the software installed yet to input the electronic signature and finish the application fee.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23038773-post250.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23027874-post246.html

Conditional approval is pretty fast but the jury is still out re how useful ABCT will be for the business travel.....appears you get fast track on immigration line but no visa exemptions!

Ari Jun 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K (Post 23042488)
I don't see this being the case for US ABTC cards if US is not doing reciprocal for Chinese ABTC holders.

The US gives priority to ABTC cardholders when applying for visas. I was wondering if China would extend the same courtesy.

penlin Jun 16, 2014 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 23040530)
I look foward to setting up an interview, but I would hope someone can give feedback that's it's possible. I don't want to fly to US to get the card only to find they're not setup yet.

Recently I have found the immigration lines in Asia is absolutely terrible, so this card would definitely expedite things.

So as a follow up, I was able to get my signature collected at JFK today. So I can happily report that atleast the JFK facility is now completely setup to process this application. (atleast on one computer, as they only have a single e-signature pad.)

Cheers

Ari Jun 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 23030149)
If you were applying for HK ABTC and really didn't have any legitimate business and wanted the card for the sake of having the card, you would have to questionably obtain/create proof which is a "bit more" than US CBP allowing self certification on GOES.

We don't yet know what CBP will be doing at the enrollment center. It does say on my approval confirmation that "the CBP officer will verify ABTC eligibility" and collect my signature. Maybe they will ask some questions about a person's employment to weed out leisure travelers and obvious ineligibles.