Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by lsquare
This is a super long thread. What's the requirement to get this? I already gave a Nexus pass. I'm assuming I gotta provide work and business documents at the interview?
​​​​
I was never asked to provide any documents at the interview. The agent asked me what I needed the APEC card for and I told him I did business in several APEC countries. He flipped through my passport to see if I actually visited those countries and approved the application. The interview lasted 5-10 minutes.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by wilp888
I was never asked to provide any documents at the interview. The agent asked me what I needed the APEC card for and I told him I did business in several APEC countries. He flipped through my passport to see if I actually visited those countries and approved the application. The interview lasted 5-10 minutes.
Strange that there is a need for another interview when I already have a Nexus card. Thx for the info. I guess I'll apply and see how things go.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Same for me. 10 minutes and I was gone. The only thing he said was why do you need it and that he had never seen a trusted traveller number as low as mine. 😂
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by droopydog
Same for me. 10 minutes and I was gone. The only thing he said was why do you need it and that he had never seen a trusted traveller number as low as mine. 😂
What does that mean?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:29 pm

What does that mean?
I have lots of zeros in my number because I was one of the original Nexus land participants when it was started. I was in the first few hundred participants.
TWA884 and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Strange that there is a need for another interview when I already have a Nexus card. Thx for the info. I guess I'll apply and see how things go.
I think they have to take a picture or fingerprints. I can't remember because it was so long ago.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:38 pm

I think they have to take a picture or fingerprints. I can't remember because it was so long ago.
Yes, the do take a separate picture.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the do take a separate picture.
Is APEC a separate card? I mean, if you have Nexus/GE, they already got your picture.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:52 pm

Is APEC a separate card? I mean, if you have Nexus/GE, they already got your picture.
It is a separate card, and for some reason they take a new picture. The card is mailed.
Boraxo and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Hi, I'm wondering what counts as "frequent" for eligibility? Would one or two trips to Asia per year, about 50% business and 50% personal, mostly to Japan but also one to China (and a valid Chinese M visa in my passport), qualify? I have had to stand in line at immigration for up to an hour at HND in the past so I wouldn't mind being able to skip that, but if it's going to be a big hassle with a chance I might not even be approved then it might not be worth it.

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything searching this thread aside from one person who had an agent mention "7 trips in the last year" off-handedely but that didn't seem to be a consistent requirement.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Hi, I'm wondering what counts as "frequent" for eligibility? Would one or two trips to Asia per year, about 50% business and 50% personal, mostly to Japan but also one to China (and a valid Chinese M visa in my passport), qualify? I have had to stand in line at immigration for up to an hour at HND in the past so I wouldn't mind being able to skip that, but if it's going to be a big hassle with a chance I might not even be approved then it might not be worth it.

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything searching this thread aside from one person who had an agent mention "7 trips in the last year" off-handedely but that didn't seem to be a consistent requirement.
Numbers are not listed. It only says:
  • are bona fide business persons who may need to travel frequently on short term visits within the APEC region to fulfill business commitments. A bona fide business person is a person who is engaged in the trade of goods, the provision of services or the conduct of investment activities.

Note this is for business travel only, not personal travel. Personal trips taken or booked are irrelevant.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:19 pm

Numbers are not listed.
Is there any informal indication of what kind of numbers are used as a cutoff? "Frequent" is a subjective term since one work trip to Asia per year is "frequent" compared to the average Canadian citizen, but is peanuts compared to what the most devoted business travelers do...

Note this is for business travel only, not personal travel. Personal trips taken or booked are irrelevant.
Noted; I only mention that from the "is it worth it" perspective since there are lots of accounts here about being allowed to use APEC lanes while travelling for tourism (and as per official APEC FAQ, "The ABTC is not designed for tourism purposes, but some economies may facilitate entry for cardholders depending on their circumstances.")
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:37 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Is there any informal indication of what kind of numbers are used as a cutoff? "Frequent" is a subjective term since one work trip to Asia per year is "frequent" compared to the average Canadian citizen, but is peanuts compared to what the most devoted business travelers do...
Noted; I only mention that from the "is it worth it" perspective since there are lots of accounts here about being allowed to use APEC lanes while travelling for tourism (and as per official APEC FAQ, "The ABTC is not designed for tourism purposes, but some economies may facilitate entry for cardholders depending on their circumstances.")
Consider that there are many members of APEC that would qualify for the - including Canada and Mexico, so you don't necessarily need to cross the Pacific to get benefits. I haven't tried Mexico, but It does get you through the shorter lines in Canada - BUT, it isn't commonly used, the logo is not prominently displayed (at least in Toronto - it is there at the Nexus line, but you have to look for it), and so may draw some increased scrutiny. (Fortunately, I also had a Canadian work permit). Bottom line - for Canada Nexus is a better bet, but the ABTC can be used.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
Consider that there are many members of APEC that would qualify for the - including Canada and Mexico, so you don't necessarily need to cross the Pacific to get benefits. I haven't tried Mexico, but It does get you through the shorter lines in Canada - BUT, it isn't commonly used, the logo is not prominently displayed (at least in Toronto - it is there at the Nexus line, but you have to look for it), and so may draw some increased scrutiny. (Fortunately, I also had a Canadian work permit). Bottom line - for Canada Nexus is a better bet, but the ABTC can be used.
I do already have NEXUS (I believe it's a pre-requisite to apply for ABTC in the first place as a Canadian) which includes GE and TSA Pre, and it's invaluable at Canada/US airports for sure. I would only be interested in the ABTC for use at Asian airports.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Hi, I'm wondering what counts as "frequent" for eligibility?
When I did my interview I'd just stepped off a plane from Asia. It's a while ago, but I'd probably been going to that end of the world 4-6 times a year in the year or two before and that seemed to barely enough. My "documentation" was just passport stamps and showing my business card with a relevant title from a large well known international company.

I did get approved though and when the airport is busy it's made it a little easier to show up on a morning flight and get to the hotel in a hurry for a shower and then to the office for a full day of work.

(Of course I haven't been to Asia since January last year; so it was useful in the "before times" -- hopefully soon again...).
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.