Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by meducate
The card does not exempt you from needing a Chinese Visa. If you are going for business and not relying on a 72-hour tourist visa you will need to get a Chinese visa.
Just one point to caution the OP - there is no 72 hour tourist visa - there is a 72 hour TRANSIT visa which has very specific requirements and is highly complex and the OP should carefully review the thread on that subject in the China travel forum. Using the APEC card to enter on a transit visa without any legitimate business purpose could be problematic, however the transit visa counter is often the same as the APEC counter, or at least the wait time is similar to be processed.
meducate, TWA884 and kyanar like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just one point to caution the OP - there is no 72 hour tourist visa - there is a 72 hour TRANSIT visa which has very specific requirements and is highly complex and the OP should carefully review the thread on that subject in the China travel forum. Using the APEC card to enter on a transit visa without any legitimate business purpose could be problematic, however the transit visa counter is often the same as the APEC counter, or at least the wait time is similar to be processed.
Thanks for the correction!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Originally Posted by meducate
Thanks for the correction!
And to be truly pedantic, it's Transit WithOut Visa - TWOV: China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
I was recently in BKK and there was a premium lane pass handed to me together with the landing card. I was wondering whether that is the same entry as the ABTC entrance?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
I was recently in BKK and there was a premium lane pass handed to me together with the landing card. I was wondering whether that is the same entry as the ABTC entrance?
Yes, those passes use the same fast track queues as the ABTC card. You have three choices:

– The dedicated fast track lane located between the two main immigration halls, or;

– The fast track lanes located inside the main immigration halls. Those are located on the far right side as you walk in.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by jvanyc
Anyone have Chinese entry experience? Do you need to still get a full visa from USA ?
Ive used the ABTC in China probably going on a hundred times over the past several years and while they're usually a bit free and easy with the one person restriction (I've often brought a single friend or co-worker with me, although the rules specifically state it's just for the holder) as well as with the purpose of the visit (I only have a tourist visa and always check "visit" on my entry cards), they are NEVER free and easy with the visa requirement. You don't have to get the visa from the US, you can get it almost anywhere they have a consulate, but you must have one. That said, if you're a US citizen, you can get a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa for the same price that the former 1-2 year visas were.
I'm also a bit concerned with all the issues that Trump has been stirring up with China, so at some point they might decide to start hassling US travelers but so far the most serious issues have only been with "newbies" that hadn't encountered the transitional card with no visas on the back. They suddenly become confused, but a call to a supervisor sorts this out.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
You have pretty much summed it up for US/CA based travelers. Given that Congress just passed a long-term/permanent extension, maybe we'll get past this whole "transitional" thing, and start working on endorsements. (OK, rose-colored glasses, but a guy's gotta have a dream...)
I think the inclusion of endorsements would actually make things worse, as I could see more places/officers trying to kick you out of the queue if you don't have their countries endorsement.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:49 am

APEC card is now virtually useless at DMK arrivals.

To 'promote' tourism from China, they turned 50% of their previously 'Foreigner' immigration queues into 'China Passport Only' lanes. That shouldn't have been an issue for us with APEC...wrong.

Now that the China-only queues are directly next to APEC/Diplomat/Priority counter, they are filtering all babies, and their extended families now into it. On Friday, a typical 5min wait took me 35... as there were 7 babies, and 20 or so family members in the queue when I arrived. The entire time I stood and waited, a dedicated immigration officer was spending her time finding the families from the China queues and bringing them in.

By the time I cleared the line was twice as long as when I arrived, so an hour for anyone arriving at the back...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
And the regular queues are even longer.

TIT.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

APEC and Renewed Passport (US)

I just received a renewed passport.

I have updated my passport information on TTP website. I also noticed a place to request a new APEC card, which I did.

I actually only recently received my initial APEC card and, obviously, it has my old PP number.

I have travel to HKG in a couple days and will not likely receive my new APEC card before traveling. Will I be able to use the existing card if I have both passports with me? TIA

Last edited by beermati; Sep 11, 2018 at 12:21 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beermati
I just received a renewed passport.

I have updated my passport information on TTP website. I also noticed a place to request a new APEC card, which I did.

I actually only recently received my initial APEC card and, obviously, it has my old PP number.

I have travel to HKG in a couple days and will not likely receive my new APEC card before traveling. Will I be able to use the existing card if I have both passports with me? TIA
Depends on HK immigration officer.
jerrywu likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
Depends on HK immigration officer.
I entered HK with an expired card that I didn't realize had been expired - my experience was the same regardless and pretty much identical every time. HK immigration person who looks completely disinterested picks up the card, gives it a cursory glance, rolls their eyes, hands it back, throws the entry receipt into my passport, rolls their eyes, hands it back, looks at their watch/ceiling/floor/computer/colleague, I leave.

Now when I went to register for E-gate, that inspector had a careful look, saw it was expired and told me so, and I had to use my airline status to get E-gate instead.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:20 am

I think you won’t have a problem in HKG given the situation and your ABTC card shows it’s not expired.

E-Gate is the way to go, though if you travel to HKG. You can qualify with gold level status, or if you have had three entries in the past year.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:03 am

Thanks - I'll check into E-Gate. I'm usually through HK 2 or 3 times each year. It happens that this will be my third entry in 12 months and I am AA CK, so I qualify via status, also. I wasn't aware about the status qualification.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by beermati
Thanks - I'll check into E-Gate. I'm usually through HK 2 or 3 times each year. It happens that this will be my third entry in 12 months and I am AA CK, so I qualify via status, also. I wasn't aware about the status qualification.
Just in case you didn't already know, the E-Gate office is just after the immigration officer booths. After you get stamped in, they will direct you to the room. It only takes about five minutes and hopefully there won't be many in front of you. The officer will place a barcode sticker on the back of your passport. Next time in, you just insert your passport into the reader, do a scan of your fingerprints, the gate opens and you're in. There is never a queue and the other plus is you don't get a space wasting stamp in your passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.