Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Federal employees are not screened for drug use in the past. Presidents have admitted past drug use, not current drug use.
Anyone in a position of trust or seeking a security clearance is asked about past drug use. The higher the level of clearance, the further back drug-use questions go. And the background check also inquires of references as to knowledge of drug use.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

The issue here is not that the poster was asked. He was denied GE based on drug use in the past (although he didn't say how long in the past.) Many, many people receive security clearances after admitting past drug use in college. It is hard to believe that the GE bar is any higher - i.e., any illegal drug use at any time in one's life leads to denial?

Originally Posted by drewguy
Anyone in a position of trust or seeking a security clearance is asked about past drug use. The higher the level of clearance, the further back drug-use questions go. And the background check also inquires of references as to knowledge of drug use.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by runderwo
I was denied at DFW today.

We regret to inform you that your membership in Global Entry has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

Other
Applicant does not meet strict Global Entry Progam standards.

As far as I can tell, this means the following, none of which applies to me to my knowledge:

"
The applicant cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status or meet other program requirements; or"

The drug use is the issue.

Originally Posted by david4455
Okay..this thread is now getting me a bit paranoid. I have my interview in a few weeks.

What is the right answer if you have smoked some grass in the past and they ask if " Have you used illegal drugs? "

The truth or not?

I would hate to be denied because I have smoked some marijuana in college 30 years ago.
Correct answer is to decline to answer the question. The CBP interviewer is a law enforcement officer. Nothing good can happen from lying or from telling the truth. That is why you have a right to silence.

The issue here is not that the poster was asked. He was denied GE based on drug use in the past (although he didn't say how long in the past.) Many, many people receive security clearances after admitting past drug use in college. It is hard to believe that the GE bar is any higher - i.e., any illegal drug use at any time in one's life leads to denial?
From perspective of the agency that processes security clearances, casual drug use doesn't pose a national security risk, whereas from the perspective of the CBP casual drug use does pose a risk of customs violation. Nominally, clearance by the kiosk is a license to smuggle, but in practice, the customs side of the CBP ignores the clearance receipt. Thus, I don't know why he would have been denied GE, since customs would have subjected him to a secondary inspection regardless of GE status.

Hence all he lost here was $100. His GE would have been useless, and increasingly it is useless for more holders of GE regardless.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by SirJman
My mother was denied twice but the rest of our family members were approved.

They said the reason for denial was she didn't declare some items when driving across the Windsor/Detroit bridge. Except that it was my father who was driving (and the car was in his name) and he didn't declare it the items (neither were fined), and he was approved no problem.

We have a feeling its because she was born in Lebanon and the rest of our family wasn't, but they claimed on both denials that it was due to this customs violation in the early 90's
Can you elaborate more? I have a similar situation where I had a sandwich in my carry-on bag and it was simply confiscated with no fine. With an upcoming GE application, I don't know if I should even try.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Did you declare the sandwich - or did the officer find it through a search of your carry-on?

Originally Posted by offtheglass
Can you elaborate more? I have a similar situation where I had a sandwich in my carry-on bag and it was simply confiscated with no fine. With an upcoming GE application, I don't know if I should even try.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:57 pm

I don't care about the customs aspect of GE (except for being able to jump the line). I am not planning to smuggle anything and have no need to. I am only interested in it as a way into Precheck.

I paid fees to request my criminal records from both states I have lived in, and will send that to the ombudsman along with my plea that I do not understand the reason why I was rejected. I don't expect much, but I have seen success reports in other threads so it's worth a shot.

Other than that, I guess I'm out of luck because if you reapply and give different answers, won't they just use your previous application against you?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:00 pm

Did you declare the sandwich - or did the officer find it through a search of your carry-on?
It was a sandwich in a ziploc bag and I completely forgot that I even had it. The airport beagle smelled it and I then realized I have the sandwich. I showed it to the CBP officer. She wrote down something like thorough search on the customs form and the lady in a separate room said I can't take the sandwich (which I completely understand) and off I was go.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mre5765
. Nominally, clearance by the kiosk is a license to smuggle, but in practice, the customs side of the CBP ignores the clearance receipt. Thus, I don't know why he would have been denied GE, since customs would have subjected him to a secondary inspection regardless of GE status.
I don't follow this . . . if one uses GE typically one gets a ticket that one hands to CBP at the exit and is good to go. They may do a random secondary, but otherwise it's a sign that you're trusted to proceed. CBP doesn't "ignore it"-they follow it and have no indication from the receipt that you shouldn't be cleared right through (they hardly look at it when I give it to them).

If the kiosk gives you an X, then you (may) get a more thorough check, but that's done by the kiosk system. And if your profile results in getting a X each time, why would GE even allow that person into the program?

Put in shorter terms: Why would the GE program let someone into it if the result is the person is always (or often) going to be subjected to secondary screening by CBP?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:26 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I don't follow this . . . if one uses GE typically one gets a ticket that one hands to CBP at the exit and is good to go. They may do a random secondary, but otherwise it's a sign that you're trusted to proceed. CBP doesn't "ignore it"-they follow it and have no indication from the receipt that you shouldn't be cleared right through (they hardly look at it when I give it to them).

If the kiosk gives you an X, then you (may) get a more thorough check, but that's done by the kiosk system. And if your profile results in getting a X each time, why would GE even allow that person into the program?

Put in shorter terms: Why would the GE program let someone into it if the result is the person is always (or often) going to be subjected to secondary screening by CBP?
I've only used GE at JFK (T8=AA), on two occasions they checked my PP (name) with my GE slip; two other times, they checked a special number on my slip with the number they had for my flight (I was one of the first pax out of the plane).
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
"Nominally, clearance by the kiosk is a license to smuggle, but in practice, the customs side of the CBP ignores the clearance receipt. Thus, I don't know why he would have been denied GE, since customs would have subjected him to a secondary inspection regardless of GE status.

Hence all he lost here was $100. His GE would have been useless, and increasingly it is useless for more holders of GE regardless.
You lost me here. Can you elaborate on the "customs side of the CBP ignores the clearance receipt"? Do you have any proof of this?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

I think part of the problem here is that, unlike most places where passport control is just about immigration, in the US the passport control guy also serves a customs function. The questions frequently go into customs subject matter.

In my limited experience with GE, I just go to the head of the customs line and show them my GE slip and am waved through - same as if the passport guy cleared me without sending me to secondary customs.

So, by definition, by skipping passport control you are skipping the first customs screening. When you reach the customs checkpoint, the officer obviously has the discretion to ask you questions if he chooses. But the officer knows that because you are GE you have been vetted in some way, and, as is well documented in this thread, would not have the card if you had anything the least bit dicey (from a customs perspective) in your background.

I believe that one of the reasons for the tough vetting process is that you are essentially getting an immigration and customs pass. When I obtained a Privium card at Schiphol a few years ago with my EU passport, the card was issued over the counter and I was asked no background questions (at least that I can recall.) In fact, if you look at the Privium application form, you can see that there are no background questions: https://www.schiphol.nl/web/file?uui...c-fa6f55858551 . This makes sense because Privium only gets you through passport control, which does not perform a customs function at Schiphol. All they need to determine is that you are an EU/EEA national and therefore entitled to enter the Netherlands.

For the same reason, a number of countries are installing automated biometric border gates without the necessity of pre-registration - because the gates only get you through passport control, which has no customs function in those countries. See http://bit.ly/Mqee6y.

Originally Posted by wilp888
You lost me here. Can you elaborate on the "customs side of the CBP ignores the clearance receipt"? Do you have any proof of this?

Last edited by BigFlyer; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:32 am
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct answer is to decline to answer the question.
It is only the correct answer if you want to be rejected from GE; if you want to be approved for GE, then it is the incorrect answer. One of the qualifications for GE is 'cooperation' with CBP during the application process and then examinations/inspections once you have GE. Refusal to answer questions is not 'cooperation' and will result in rejection.

The CBP interviewer is a law enforcement officer. Nothing good can happen from lying or from telling the truth. That is why you have a right to silence.
And you also have the right to be rejected for GE. If you don't have any record of drug use with the government or anywhere else, nothing bad is likely to come from a little lie. Something bad can come from telling the truth-- a GE rejection.

There are very few times when the risk of telling a lie to LE (virtually nonexistent in this case) is outweighed by the benefit of telling a lie rather than simply remaining silent, and this is one of those times.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Federal employees are not screened for drug use in the past. Presidents have admitted past drug use, not current drug use.
All federal employees, all federal contractors, and all members of the military are asked about previous drug use. And all will have some form a criminal background check. If it was casual use that never resulted in an arrest, the likelihood of the background check finding out varies based on the type (i.e. detail) of the check. If there’s an actual conviction, even the most basic of background check will query FBI’s NCIC. Lying about a conviction (even if it would not, by itself, disqualify the person from the job) is grounds for disqualification.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

Beats me, I have the same question. Perhaps the CBP would be willing to explain.

Originally Posted by wilp888
My personal experience is my proof.

Secondary inspections are only supposed to happen if the kiosk produces an X.
IME secondaries occur whether you have an X or not. Indeed, when the kiosk produces an X I find that the secondary is much faster than if I have no X. I am starting to conclude that the CBP wants me to spend time on farms or spend my money on more than $800 in merchandise, and I am inclined to accommodate the CBP's desire if it gets me out to liberty sooner.

Originally Posted by Ari
It is only the correct answer if you want to be rejected from GE; if you want to be approved for GE, then it is the incorrect answer. One of the qualifications for GE is 'cooperation' with CBP during the application process and then examinations/inspections once you have GE. Refusal to answer questions is not 'cooperation' and will result in rejection.

And you also have the right to be rejected for GE. If you don't have any record of drug use with the government or anywhere else, nothing bad is likely to come from a little lie. Something bad can come from telling the truth-- a GE rejection.

There are very few times when the risk of telling a lie to LE (virtually nonexistent in this case) is outweighed by the benefit of telling a lie rather than simply remaining silent, and this is one of those times.
It is never correct to lie to a federal official nor is it correct to self incriminate. The value of GE is being over blown here. It is not bad to not get something one never had a right to in the first place.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The value of GE is being over blown here.
I don't think so, now especially so now that it gets you PreCheck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.