Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:35 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UNGGOY
Dual citizenship is NOT recognized nor allowed under US law.
"Recognized" is a red herring. Under the Master Nationality Rule, the US will treat a US/other dual citizen as a US citizen; they may take notice of the additional citizenship(s) for things like security clearances, but they won't allow consular access and the like. You're wrong about "allowed".

In fact, when aliens naturalize here, they are required to renounce their former nationality.
Many countries (including the US) will not recognize a renunciation unless it's made to their officials; if a UK citizen is naturalized in the US, Her Majesty's Government will continue to consider them a citizen.

Also, when Americans naturalize abroad, they lose their US citizenship.

Unless something has recently changed?
Recently like, say, 1967 (Afroyim v. Rusk) or 1980 (Vance v. Terrazas) or 1986 (PL 99-653)? Or 1990 or so, when the State Department officially published policies stating that US citizens do not lose their citizenship when acquiring another unless they did so specifically with the intent to do so?

Note the following from that document:
"U.S. law does not require a person to choose one nationality over the other."
"Dual nationality can also occur when a person is naturalized in a foreign state without intending to relinquish U.S. nationality and is thereafter found not to have lost U.S. nationality: the individual consequently may possess dual nationality. The U.S. Government does not encourage dual nationality. While recognizing the existence of dual nationality and permitting Americans to have other nationalities, the U.S. Government also recognizes the problems which it may cause." (emphasis added)

See 8 USC § 1481(a)'s "voluntarily performing any of the following acts with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality" (emphasis added) which was part of the 1986 amendments in PL 99-653.

(Note: I am not a lawyer, and I am certainly not your lawyer, so this is so very not legal advice.)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Dual citizenship is NOT recognized nor allowed under US law.

In fact, when aliens naturalize here, they are required to renounce their former nationality.

Also, when Americans naturalize abroad, they lose their US citizenship.

Unless something has recently changed?
The US Supreme Court established that dual citizenship is allowed in 1952 (Mandoli v. Acheson). I am a citizen of two countries and a national of a third, and am holding two valid passports. CBP scanned both passports when I went for my GE interview several years ago.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
The US Supreme Court established that dual citizenship is allowed in 1952 (Mandoli v. Acheson). I am a citizen of two countries and a national of a third, and am holding two valid passports. CBP scanned both passports when I went for my GE interview several years ago.
Why did CBP need to scan your non-US passport? When entering/leaving the US you are required to use your US passport, n?.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Why did CBP need to scan your non-US passport? When entering/leaving the US you are required to use your US passport, n?.
I brought both passports to the interview. The two officers knew I am not entering and exiting US on a non-US passport, but they thought they might as well scan it after some hesitation. I don't think they really cared.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
The GE application form doesn't specifically ask about other citizenships -- though it will allow you to declare them by entering additional passports if you wish to do so. What the use of doing so is for a US citizen who is required to enter/leave on a US passport is beynd me.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:05 pm

The GE application form doesn't specifically ask about other citizenships -- though it will allow you to declare them by entering additional passports if you wish to do so. What the use of doing so is for a US citizen who is required to enter/leave on a US passport is beynd me.
No use for the passenger, except US likes data on everything and knows where you traveled to. As I said, the officers didn't really care but as I had the other passport with me, they might as well scan it. (If the additional passport is also a US passport, perhaps they do have to scan it.)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
The GE application form doesn't specifically ask about other citizenships -- though it will allow you to declare them by entering additional passports if you wish to do so.
It says all the citizenships need to be stated.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Back to tell or don't tell....

I just scheduled my Global Entry interview for next week. I too was confused by the online application when I tried to enter my Irish citizenship and got the warning about being denied, so I skipped it.

I am a natural born US citizen and received my Irish citizenship by foreign births registration last year. I do not yet have an Irish passport, but my application is sitting somewhere at the Chicago consulate or Dublin. My original FBR certificate is with the application, but I do have copies.

I assume my best course of action is to disclose this and present the copy of the FBR cert.. Is there really much Q&A at the interview? Seems like not much time for discussion during a 15 minute appointment.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
It says all the citizenships need to be stated.
Originally Posted by tev9999

I just scheduled my Global Entry interview for next week. I too was confused by the online application when I tried to enter my Irish citizenship and got the warning about being denied, so I skipped it.
I don't recall ever seeing that all citizenships be stated and I've filled out the form several times for myself and when assisting others. If anyone has the exact language for this in the GOES we site I'd love to know what it actually says. In this case, you can certainly tell them but I don't think it'll be a problem either way. In any case, if asked you should absolutely disclose this. Please let us knw what happens.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by tev9999

I am a natural born US citizen and received my Irish citizenship by foreign births registration last year. I do not yet have an Irish passport, but my application is sitting somewhere at the Chicago consulate or Dublin. My original FBR certificate is with the application, but I do have copies.

I assume my best course of action is to disclose this and present the copy of the FBR cert.. Is there really much Q&A at the interview? Seems like not much time for discussion during a 15 minute appointment.
My wife and kids are dual citizens of the US and Ireland as well. I just pulled up her account in GOES and under the "Citizenship" section, her Irish citizenship is listed along with her Irish passport information that we supplied when filling out the application.

During the Interview, the dual citizenship was a non-issue. I don't remember whether the Officer asked to even see her Irish passport but the main point that was made at the time was the she should enter and leave the US on her US passport. I would take a copy of the FBR cert. but you probably won't need it.

When I took my then 2 year old for his "interview" the dual citizenship was never even mentioned.

In any event - MOST DEFINITELY you should disclose the dual citizenship. A lot of the stories that pop up here regarding denials of GE are the result of applicants withholding information. You really shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I disclosed citizenships the US government already knew about. I didn't disclose the one they know nothing about, and I'm not going to be telling them about the fourth I'm about to add. If they ask directly then I'll mention them. Otherwise, no. Having multiple passports never came up during the interview at all. Pretty much nothing came up during my interview - in and out very quickly.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I don't hold US citizenship or a green card but I managed to get GE through the small intake of UK citizens a couple of years ago.

Put both my UK and Australian citizenship details in and it was no issue.

The bloke who interviewed me just made it clear that I was only eligible to use my UK passport for GE.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would not be surprised if a CBP employee doing these interviews would mistakenly assume that Germany currently prohibits all its citizens from holding dual-citizenship.
FWIW, it's technically true that Germany will consider the acquisition of another citizenship as renunciation of German citizenship and many have lost their German citizenship that way. However, it wouldn't be Germany if there wasn't a bureaucratic process to remedy that: it's known as the (wonderfully German word) "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" - essentially a permit by the German government to retain German citizenship when acquiring another citizenship.

Here's a pretty good summary of the process. HTH!

[URL]http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/beibehaltungsgenehmigung---dual-citizenship-for-germans-in-the-us[URL]
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:45 pm

Dual Citizen- Global Entry profile questions

Before I go spend some money on parking at the airport and make an a&* out of myself in front of a CBP Officer I wanted to run the following problem by the generous members of FlyerTalk who may be dual citizens and have GE.

I applied for Global Entry when I was a US Permanent Resident. Was approved and the documents for admissibility on file (as they appear online) were my foreign passport + green card.

I recently became a US citizen and am now a dual citizen. Went to update passport info to CBP office. Officer entered the US passport info but I don't recall being asked anything about dual citizenship nor do I think I had a reason to mention I am also keeping my birth citizenship. I was way too excited about becoming a US citizen. I did ask the officer if I could get a new physical GE Card that shows US citizenship instead of the one that had my European citizenship but she said there's no need.

Now the US passport shows up in my GE profile under both Citizenship and document of admissibility on the Trusted Traveler Enrollment Program page.

The birth country passport info was removed from this section HOWEVER if I click on the update documents (left side button under update mailing address ) the birth country passport info still shows as the first document I could update (just the number of the passport, the country and the issuing authority can't be changed). Next two documents are my US passport, and my DL.

I guess this is a redundant question. Do I have to do anything else in letting CBP know I'm a dual citizen for Global Entry purposes? Should my birth country passport also be listed on the main GE profile page either under Citizenship and Admissibility?

I heard GE can be revoked for many silly reasons. I hope this is not one of them.

Thank you
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:01 pm

You are a U.S. citizen. Period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.