Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.
They asked me my address and my name. That's it. No small talk. Didn't even tell me that he was taking the picture just put the camera up and click. Nothing about my travel (I travel A LOT internationally), nothing about prior records. No video. I was approved before I got in my car to leave.

Also, there was no private room or receptionist. Any and all questions are in front of others waiting, including him reading my name and address out loud.
Did that seem to be true for others waiting as well?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Did that seem to be true for others waiting as well?

No, but they had unusual circumstances. One guy had some fancy passport, lol, business or something. And he had a chat with him about that and if he could do this and that with it. The other one was asked some questions as he was born in Mexico city and whatnot. To be honest, I was uncomfortable sitting in the room listening to other peoples details, so I tried to just keep my head into my game on my phone. There were a couple others that came in just for new stickers.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:43 pm

Had my son's (he's a minor) interview at O'Hare last week. There is a separate lobby waiting room. Strangely, they had FoxNews playing on the lobby TV and they were airing a discussion on the pointlessness of airport security and how it's now working and we're all at horrible risk. Slightly offputting to watch while sitting in the Homeland Security office.

While the waiting room is separate from the interview area, the interviews are done in a smallllll room that has 5 or 6 desks with officers all doing interviews at the same time. We were literally sitting < 4 feet away from the next interviewee with no privacy wall between. I could tell you where the person next to us lives, works, and travels to.

They asked for my state ID (not passport - to prove his address), asked him his address, and if he'd ever been arrested. And that was about it.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Were they asking the ones you overheard more in-depth stuff, or just confirming the application information?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Back in April at CLT they asked me what I did for a living, how many times I traveled out of the country a year, why I wanted GE and to confirm the details of the brush with the law I had in 2008. Simple as that, I was in and out in 10 minutes.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
My CBP fellow asked me if I was still at the same address as the application and was I still retired. From there the discussion went into how was retirement working for me as I'm a retired Federal civil servant under the old Civil Service Retirement System. He's also grandfathered into the old system and about two years out from hitting the minimum requirements. Spent way more time talking about that than anything to do with GE. A month later and my wife went through her interview with the same guy. About the same though more about her still being a Federal employee and how was that under the newer Federal Employee Retirement System. Obviously my agent was more worried about retirement than our backgrounds.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Mine asked me what I had been doing in Iran, Sudan and Somaliland (all three were tourist visits). They seemed surprised but it was no big deal. I am not an arms dealer or anything. :-)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Although the CBP officer in HNL was surprised that British citizens were now included in GE (the memo had obviously not made it!) he asked a few questions on had I been refused entry, had I been in violation of customs, had I ever been arrested. Confirmed my details, showed me the video, it wall all very friendly (and air conditioned) He gave me some advice if the machine wasnt working and that was it. I got the confirmation email the same day
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:37 pm

I have my interview tomorrow evening and don't feel like going to Staples to print out the letter, but my letter doesn't even say to print it out and bring it to the interview. Can anyone confirm if they eliminated the requirement to bring the approval letter to the interview?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by nuttyt
I have my interview tomorrow evening and don't feel like going to Staples to print out the letter, but my letter doesn't even say to print it out and bring it to the interview. Can anyone confirm if they eliminated the requirement to bring the approval letter to the interview?
I had my interview earlier this year (well, last year now!) and didn't bring the letter and the guy made a big deal about it. I ended up being approved, but he played the bad cop role for a while and tried to make it seem like A Very Big Deal that I didn't print the letter. I had my son's interview in December and the first thing she asked for was the printed letter.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nuttyt
I got my letter 12/22 and had my interview yesterday 12/31. My Conditional Approval letter did not say I had to bring a copy of it, but my interview appointment information did say I had to bring a copy. The first thing they asked me for, and everyone else coming in for their appointments, was for a copy of the letter, driver's license and passport. Look at your appointment confirmation to see what that says. Good luck!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I brought the wrong letter this morning, the appointment confirmation rather than the actual conditional approval itself; however, since I was on that day's list, he didn't really care. There weren't really any interview questions as such, more confirming a couple of the answers I had supplied. If not outright stated, he very strongly implied that I was approved before I even sat down and open my mouth to give the first response. The only part of the entire 5 minute procedure that was at all noteworthy was that he strongly suggested that I have my new passport number (later this year) entered by staff at an interview center, rather than relying on doing it myself in the GOES profile. Otherwise, it was a complete formality just to get the photo and fingerprints on file.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.
TDidn't even tell me that he was taking the picture just put the camera up and click.

Also, there was no private room or receptionist. Any and all questions are in front of others waiting, including him reading my name and address out loud.
The camera/picture thing happened to me, which is why my picture on the ID is horrible. CBP officer said to look to my left, and a second later said that the picture had been taken. I asked to look at it, but she said it was fine. Not so much...

On the lack of privacy, I had mine at ORD and echo the comment above that there was a separate waiting area, but just a bunch of desks/open cubicles in back. Not a ton of privacy, but I was the only one being interviewed at the time.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vegas interview was done in a small office where my interviewer had a desk face to face with his colleague who was (faking?) doing paperwork the entire time. For the photo, I looked straight ahead, and the guy didn't correct me at all.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA
I have received my conditional approval, and naively thought that scheduling an interview would be easy. I have an up-coming trip through LAX in about a month, and scheduled y arriving flight to allow all morning to schedule my interview. To my surprise, I found that the entire day is booked, and that many days in February are unavailable. I looked at Long Beach, and the entire month of Feb. is booked.
Surprisingly, the situation at JFK, for example, is the opposite, with most days available, so scheduling an interview may be very easy at some centers and difficult at others. I'd like to a avoid the need to tie up a whole day flying to LAX and home ( not to mention the expense) simply for an interview that seems to be a formality! As others have suggested, I'll keep trying to schedule at LAX, but if I can't maybe I'll take my chances as a walk-in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.