Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by EWEWR
New LPR here.

In my GE application I put the card number (ABCxxxxxxxx) instead of A# in the green card number field. Will this cause delay in processing? Is there a way to correct this?

It's been a week and it's still pending review.
I think so...
You are supposed to enter USCIS# or A#.
The card number is a document number.
Probably you want to contact them and ask what to do.
I mean why did you enter the card number???
It's even hard to find the card number on my green card...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:34 am

GLOBAL ENTERY add GREENCARD

hi

i applied my GE in Doha and apporved in 2 minutes so easy way and no que.. my question is GE staff told me you ll get GE card but you will not use it because i ll added to your greencard so you can use your greencard. problem is 2 months passed away and i fifnt get GE and normally i ll get it or not ? because also when i get it i need open in from goes.com but no any card so can i use directly my greencard or not ?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by gokmen80
i applied my GE in Doha and apporved in 2 minutes so easy way and no que.. my question is GE staff told me you ll get GE card but you will not use it because i ll added to your greencard so you can use your greencard. problem is 2 months passed away and i fifnt get GE and normally i ll get it or not ? because also when i get it i need open in from goes.com but no any card so can i use directly my greencard or not ?
Welcome to FlyerTalk! You will use your green card at the kiosks, so there is no problem there. Did you provide a US address or point of contact?

Here is a link to the frequently asked questions. The question titled "How will I receive my Global Entry card?" says that if you don't have a US address it will be mailed to a US point of contact or Global Entry enrollment center.

You could try calling the customer service number and see if they have the address where the card was mailed. Maybe it was mailed to the Doha enrollment center?

In the worst case, you can request a replacement card to a US address. There is a small fee to request a new card, but it's an option. The card will be helpful at some airports where the contract employees want proof of GE membership or if you're reentering the US by land from Mexico or Canada.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
hi

Welcome to FlyerTalk @gokmen80!

Since your main concern appears to be the use of your Green Card in the Global Entry kiosks, I moved your question to a thread discussing Global Entry for Green Card holders.

There is good information about the other issues that seem to be of interest to you in the following threads:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Welcome to FlyerTalk! You will use your green card at the kiosks, so there is no problem there. Did you provide a US address or point of contact?

Here is a link to the frequently asked questions. The question titled "How will I receive my Global Entry card?" says that if you don't have a US address it will be mailed to a US point of contact or Global Entry enrollment center.

You could try calling the customer service number and see if they have the address where the card was mailed. Maybe it was mailed to the Doha enrollment center?

In the worst case, you can request a replacement card to a US address. There is a small fee to request a new card, but it's an option. The card will be helpful at some airports where the contract employees want proof of GE membership or if you're reentering the US by land from Mexico or Canada.
Hi , doha GE staff told me you ll get it LA address .. but you can use Greencard for it. ok i ll use just airports but excatly i want to know they will send card or not .. i wrote letter GE central office but didnt get replay within 45 days... ,

anyway i understan i dont need active my GE card because no GE card just use my greencard no activitaion for greencard ..

do you have customer service for calling ?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:46 am

Hi , doha GE staff told me you ll get it LA address .. but you can use Greencard for it. ok i ll use just airports but excatly i want to know they will send card or not .. i wrote letter GE central office but didnt get replay within 45 days... ,

anyway i understan i dont need active my GE card because no GE card just use my greencard no activitaion for greencard ..

do you have customer service for calling ?
I only found the contact information for GOES (the enrollment support):

Toll Free in the US: 855-873-4637
Outside the United States: 202-325-8060
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m - 4:00 p.m Eastern

It seems like you either provided an LA address, or perhaps it ended up shipping to the LA enrollment center?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:57 pm

Hi gals and pals,

you might have some advice for me: I just got my immigrant visa sticker in my German passport and want to fly to the US soon to activate my LPR status / Green Card.
Also, I want to get Global Entry.

What is the smartest thing to do?
- Apply for GE using my German Passport?
- Apply for GE using the A- number without the plastic card?
- Wait for the plastic card to arrive .... and only then apply for GE?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by LH456
Hi gals and pals,

you might have some advice for me: I just got my immigrant visa sticker in my German passport and want to fly to the US soon to activate my LPR status / Green Card.
Also, I want to get Global Entry.

What is the smartest thing to do?
- Apply for GE using my German Passport?
- Apply for GE using the A- number without the plastic card?
- Wait for the plastic card to arrive .... and only then apply for GE?

Thanks for your advice!
Hello LH456, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Wait for the physical green card to arrive. USCBP will need the physical card in hand when you go for the interview to register it. You use your green card at the kiosk when entering the United States. You wouldn't be able to apply with your German passport because you would not be using your German passport to enter the United States.
LH456 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Sorry to bump this thread, I am in the process of getting (fingers crossed) a green card.

Has anyone been in this situation before, do you have to start again on applying or just update your information on GOES (or it's replacement version) to the card?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:26 am

(I am assuming you already have Global Entry on either an ESTA/VWP or a visa)

Yes, I’ve done thing from an ESTA to a Green card. You just turn up to any enrollmentnoffice without an appointment and tell them you need to change your details (make sure you tell them this otherwise they’ll expect you to have an appointment). It is quite simple and took me about 4’minutes after a 15 minute wait to be seen (I had to change my surname too with my marriage certificate in addition to updating to use the green card).

When entering the USA using your green card, you use the green card and not your passport. I can’t remember what way it goes in to face the scanner but mine never works anymore so I just type in my alien number instead and it works that way.

You are eligible as a green card holder to have a Global Entry Card though it’ll cost you $15 even though it would’ve been free when if you were a green card at sign up (I argued but didn’t work, and I had to order through the old GOES system). I ordered this because it was a useful federal ID that was appropriate as an ID for flying domestically, so I didn’t have to keep getting my green card out (or US state id/driver license which I haven’t organised yet).

Good luck!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
(I am assuming you already have Global Entry on either an ESTA/VWP or a visa)

Yes, I’ve done thing from an ESTA to a Green card. You just turn up to any enrollmentnoffice without an appointment and tell them you need to change your details (make sure you tell them this otherwise they’ll expect you to have an appointment). It is quite simple and took me about 4’minutes after a 15 minute wait to be seen (I had to change my surname too with my marriage certificate in addition to updating to use the green card).

When entering the USA using your green card, you use the green card and not your passport. I can’t remember what way it goes in to face the scanner but mine never works anymore so I just type in my alien number instead and it works that way.

You are eligible as a green card holder to have a Global Entry Card though it’ll cost you $15 even though it would’ve been free when if you were a green card at sign up (I argued but didn’t work, and I had to order through the old GOES system). I ordered this because it was a useful federal ID that was appropriate as an ID for flying domestically, so I didn’t have to keep getting my green card out (or US state id/driver license which I haven’t organised yet).

Good luck!
Sorry should of said, yes already have GE on VWP. That's brilliant thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: EY
Can anyone point me to a page stating whether new permanent residents need to satisfy a residency requirement (e.g. 3 years) before being eligible for Global Entry? NEXUS is 3 years in most cases (exceptions such as being married to a military member). The CBSA and CBP NEXUS pages were ambiguous about that until recently when CBSA updated theirs. CBP is still incredibly ambiguous about NEXUS and Global Entry on their pages from what I've seen. Also, the application asks for 9 digits for my A Number--there are only 8 in my immigrant data summary sheet (which was taken at the port of entry, thankfully I have a picture of it as CBP gave us no documentation regarding our entry/A-Number other than stamping the immigrant visa). 8 numbers plus the letter A in front of it, which the Global Entry application page won't let me enter in. I haven't received my Permanent Resident card yet, as that can take up to four months. I would like to apply for GE ASAP though, so that at least when I go to the interview I can show them the permanent resident card, rather than waiting for it to come and then applying.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by xobile
Can anyone point me to a page stating whether new permanent residents need to satisfy a residency requirement (e.g. 3 years) before being eligible for Global Entry?
I can't offer any advice about Nexus, but applying for GE was among the first things my wife did after receiving her green card. I can't comment if rules have changed, but she had not been residing in the US for three years (or even one) at the time of her initial application. From USCBP's website, I don't see anything that requires a residency period for applying for membership, and it wasn't an issue for her enrolling the first time around.

USCIS transitioned from 8-digit A numbers to 9-digit numbers a number of years back. From some searches, a leading 0 can be added to the 8-digit number for systems that require the 9-digit format. (I couldn't find any official sources to cite here, so it is up to you to verify this information.)

Your biggest problem will be the lack of physical green card. While the I-551 stamp in your passport is as good as having the physical card to prove LPR status, the GE kiosks require that you use your physical green card as your entry document if you are a lawful permanent resident. Even if you apply now, you'll likely have to wait until you have the physical green card in hand to complete the enrollment. Having the physical green card would also clear up any ambiguity about the number of digits because the A number should be represented in a 9-digit format on the card.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Majuki
I can't offer any advice about Nexus, but applying for GE was among the first things my wife did after receiving her green card. I can't comment if rules have changed, but she had not been residing in the US for three years (or even one) at the time of her initial application. From USCBP's website, I don't see anything that requires a residency period for applying for membership, and it wasn't an issue for her enrolling the first time around.

USCIS transitioned from 8-digit A numbers to 9-digit numbers a number of years back. From some searches, a leading 0 can be added to the 8-digit number for systems that require the 9-digit format. (I couldn't find any official sources to cite here, so it is up to you to verify this information.)

Your biggest problem will be the lack of physical green card. While the I-551 stamp in your passport is as good as having the physical card to prove LPR status, the GE kiosks require that you use your physical green card as your entry document if you are a lawful permanent resident. Even if you apply now, you'll likely have to wait until you have the physical green card in hand to complete the enrollment. Having the physical green card would also clear up any ambiguity about the number of digits because the A number should be represented in a 9-digit format on the card.

Thanks for the response. I checked a friend who came on a green card 2 years ago, her USCIS number starts with a 2, so I'm not sure putting a 0 in front of the 8 digit A number would be ideal. Guess I'll just wait until I receive the actual green card to apply in order to avoid any issues. Very bizarre that the State Department and USCIS are not on the same page as regards to A Numbers and number of digits. And as a side note, CBP should definitely give some sort of receipt upon entry to the US We got nothing other than the stamp. They didn't even take our fingerprints, which seems very odd, especially for a first time entry. They took our picture, but I'm not sure if they do any retina scan there.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by xobile
Thanks for the response. I checked a friend who came on a green card 2 years ago, her USCIS number starts with a 2, so I'm not sure putting a 0 in front of the 8 digit A number would be ideal. Guess I'll just wait until I receive the actual green card to apply in order to avoid any issues. Very bizarre that the State Department and USCIS are not on the same page as regards to A Numbers and number of digits. And as a side note, CBP should definitely give some sort of receipt upon entry to the US We got nothing other than the stamp. They didn't even take our fingerprints, which seems very odd, especially for a first time entry. They took our picture, but I'm not sure if they do any retina scan there.
What other receipt is necessary? That stamp in the passport is all you need to show you have LPR status in the US. Unfortunately for Global Entry purposes the machines are designed to accept only the physical green card as an entry document, so you would have to wait for those to complete enrollment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.