Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by 14940674
Yes, but once the regular traveler declares those items that a GE member would not have to declare, the CBP officer will tell the regular traveler that those items are permitted.
Whenever I check yes on the landing card, I further annotate my yes with an explanation. That short circuits the quibbling.

As a GE member, whenever I have to fill out a landing card, I answer every question literally. Otherwise, I am at risk at losing my privilege. And that's what I would tell a CBP officer who dislikes my truthful answers. If he keeps up, then I will escalate to a supervisor. I will not be entrapped by the CBP.

To each their own.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
As a GE member, whenever I have to fill out a landing card, I answer every question literally. Otherwise, I am at risk at losing my privilege. And that's what I would tell a CBP officer who dislikes my truthful answers. If he keeps up, then I will escalate to a supervisor. I will not be entrapped by the CBP.

To each their own.
I completely agree with you there. If I had to complete the 6059B, I would always answer literally, including on the food question.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
You have to put your GC on the scanner where your passport goes.
Hope this helps.
Thank you! We will give it a try and that does help!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
She should go the nearest global entry enrollment office and request a lesson. She should have been given that lesson at the time of her interview.
Thank you for the instructional help!

We have Nexus and did get training on using that kiosk. The GE kiosk is different and our first experience with it was last week. I wasn't sure if I could go up to the GE CBP officers to ask as they were a good distance behind the kiosks (and my wife didn't want me to use the kiosk and leave her behind) and the one lady who was directing people into which lane to use for the resident lanes and the only one around the area didn't seem to know anything about them.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 787dreamer
My wife is a green card holder and she was conditionally approved (and me too) and we are awaiting the interview to finalize it hopefully without too much trouble. I will post how the interview went and whether the green card holder interview was different from my interview as I am an American citizen. I hope we can do the interview together even though we are not able to schedule it together as the GOES site only allow one applicant per appointment time slot.
Both of us got final approval today at DEN. Not a problem at all. (no extra questioning) I was worried about one question on the application as it was subjective to interpretation. "Have you used any other names?" I left it blank even though she changed her last name after marrying me. I presumed the question was about the name change other than marriage. The green card was issued in her married name so she never used other names since she got her green card. I was thinking that the question was for people that changed name i.e. Ron Artest ---> Metta World Peace
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: AA++
How long does it take to get one?

I am in LA and GC holder.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:54 pm

Most GE applicants are conditionally approved within two weeks. Then you schedule an interview which can be anywhere anytime that's available. Some stations have March or April at the soonest; other stations notably IAH have openings immediately.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: AAPlatinum, UA
I'm a Permanent Resident and got it in April. Applied for GE a month later, was pre-approved within 2 days, and did the interview in Houston....it took literally 15 minutes (to watch the instructional video) and that was it.....No problems so far whenever I fly back to the US!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:49 pm

Exclamation Permanent residents with GE not yet able to use PreCheck

I found out the long and hard way that Permanent Residents who are members of Global Entry are not yet able to take advantage of PreCheck lanes. Copied/pasted from TSA PreCheck web:

"Certain frequent travelers from Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, US Airways and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate. As of November 15, Canadian citizens traveling domestically in the United States who are members of NEXUS are also qualified to participate in TSA Pre✓™. In addition, passengers 12 and younger are allowed through TSA Pre✓™ lanes with eligible passengers."

Hopefully sooner than later the TSA will add Permanent Residents to the list of eligible PreCheck users.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by 787dreamer

Hopefully sooner than later the TSA will add Permanent Residents to the list of eligible PreCheck users.
It's starting to spread. My wife is Canadian and is LPR here and has Nexus. They opened Pre-Check up to Canadian Nexus members last month and she has used it twice since then successfully!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:13 pm

I am a green card holder and have had GE for about 1.5 years now.

Upon my last return to the USA a few weeks back, I tried to use the GE kiosk and had a problem. This was at BOS.

There are two types of kiosk. An older and a newer one. The newer one has a square glass area where you put your passport (green card, in my case) and it's supposed to read it. The older one has a gray/black slot that you slide your passport into.

The newer one did not work with my GC. I flagged down a CBP worker who was mulling around in the area and he tried to get my GC to work in the newer machine, also without success. He took me to the older style machine that worked instantly.

Anyone else experience this?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:49 pm

Same experience last Friday in Toronto. Wouldn't do anything with the Card. Tried the manual lookup, but only got a "Permanent Residents must use their greencard" message, so had to see an agent. Bummer...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by zig666
Same experience last Friday in Toronto. Wouldn't do anything with the Card. Tried the manual lookup, but only got a "Permanent Residents must use their greencard" message, so had to see an agent. Bummer...
When you went to see an agent did you just get into a standard line or did you go up to an agent who would normally take your ticket if they kiosk works?

We will be trying it with my wife's greencard in Miami soon and just curious which line to get in if it won't work with her card.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:49 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
South Korean LPRs?

Can a South Korean citizen with a US GC get Global Entry without first applying for the Korean "Smart Entry Service"?

The Global Entry FAQ states that Global Entry is available to "lawful permanent residents":

From the Global Entry site:
Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.
However, it also explicitly states that citizens of South (CBP seems to forget that part) Korea must first be enrolled in SES before applying for Global Entry. They do not make an exception for US LPRs.

From the Global Entry FAQ:
Global Entry is also available to citizens of the Netherlands who are enrolled Privium, Canadian NEXUS members and Korean SES members.
Korean citizens must first enroll in the Smart Entry Service (SES) program operated by the Korean Immigration Service.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfp
They do not make an exception for US LPRs.
Are you sure about that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.