FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Global Entry - US Citizens & LPRs First Time Applicants' Timelines & Information (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1066899-global-entry-us-citizens-lprs-first-time-applicants-timelines-information.html)

mnbp Feb 3, 2020 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 32028359)
Just got an email from CBP that interview can be cleared upon arrival from international flight.... Mrs CnO (awaiting interview date) will be flying CUN-ORD sooner. Can she do her interview upon landing in ORD or pax are pre-cleared at point of departure?

Here's a list of CBP preclearance airports:
https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
There are no preclearance airports in Mexico.

Enrollment on Arrival is available at ORD. Here's a thread where Enrollment on Arrival is discussed:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...t-arrival.html

TWA884 Feb 3, 2020 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 32028359)
Just got an email from CBP that interview can be cleared upon arrival from international flight.... Mrs CnO (awaiting interview date) will be flying CUN-ORD sooner. Can she do her interview upon landing in ORD or pax are pre-cleared at point of departure?

Yes, CUN is not a pre-clearance airport, so Mrs. ChO can do her enrollment interview upon arrival at ORD.

Please refer to the following thread:

Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival

For indexing and search purposes, future posts discussing Enrollment on Arrival will be moved to that thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Chrissy G Feb 3, 2020 10:16 pm

I don’t know what’s going on

I applied on January 04, 2020 (unaware of the backlog). My application is still pending. My best friend decided to apply on February 1, 2020 and got his conditional approval on February 4. I’m upset that there is no rhyme or reason behind the processing times. This is both of our first times applying for GE. He had TSA pre check already. Still don’t know how come people have been waiting since last year. CBP needs to do better.

WanderingGent Feb 4, 2020 1:13 am

Originally Posted by WanderingGent (Post 31706748)
Applied 26 June 19
CA granted 05 Nov 19

Total time spent in limbo: 133 days

I had my interview at SFO less than two weeks later!

Another data point: I just did my Mom's GE application.
Applied: Friday 31 January 2020
CA Granted: Sunday 02 February 2020 (yes, just two days... over a weekend no less!)
Interview Scheduled: Tuesday 25 February 2020, in Washington DC
:tu::tu::tu:

Berto Feb 4, 2020 5:46 am

Application Submitted: 2 February 2020 (Evening)
CA Received: 4 February 2020 (@1:35 AM)

After tracking this thread for a while, I did not expect for my application to be approved somewhere between 24-36 hours, especially with the laundry list of countries I had in my application. Pleasantly surprised!

Now the trick will be with no planned travel for a little bit, is to figure out where I will head to for the interview. Living in NW Florida means that I'll be driving or flying somewhere...

michab Feb 4, 2020 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 32030739)
Now the trick will be with no planned travel for a little bit, is to figure out where I will head to for the interview. Living in NW Florida means that I'll be driving or flying somewhere...

You have a whole year, no real need to rush. Can wait until you either travel near somewhere that does interviews or simply go abroad and EoA.

hhllau Feb 4, 2020 11:36 am

applied 6/15/2019
still pending review 2/4/2020

chriskuo Feb 5, 2020 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Chrissy G (Post 32029861)
I applied on January 04, 2020 (unaware of the backlog). My application is still pending. My best friend decided to apply on February 1, 2020 and got his conditional approval on February 4. I’m upset that there is no rhyme or reason behind the processing times. This is both of our first times applying for GE. He had TSA pre check already. Still don’t know how come people have been waiting since last year. CBP needs to do better.

What kind of security would it be if they told you what the review selection factors are? The IRS does not tell you the exact amounts which trigger an audit.

dr benway Feb 5, 2020 1:16 am

thanks for this

so basically, the wait time was about 8 months when the application was made in July

in other words, the wait time hasn't actually increased? CBP 11 weeks was just wrong.

as it seems this is an online only process, shouldn't it be quite straightforward to give an accurate processing time?

Originally Posted by Exn (Post 32027807)
I think when they give a wait time like 11 weeks, they really just mean "we're currently getting to applications made 11 weeks ago". This is disingenuous, because of course people who are just applying will see the 11 week figure and assume it applies to them, too.

As for why the wait time is increasing, it's just that they're getting through applications slower than they're coming in! Suppose we started with a clean slate, no backlog, and that they can process 1,000 applications per month, but they have 2,000 applicants per month.

You'd end month 1 with 1,000 approvals, and a backlog of 1,000. Maximum wait time would be listed as "1 month". Remember though, that only applies to people who have just been approved. People on the backlog can actually expect to wait a total of 2 months.

Then through month 2, you clear that backlog of 1,000—but there were still 2,000 new applicants, and they all go onto the backlog. Now the backlog is 2,000, and maximum wait time is listed as "2 months". But again, that's not the whole picture: people at the back of the backlog queue (and indeed, any new applicants) can actually expect a total wait time of up to 3 months.

The problem gets worse with each month that passes. That's what's happening now: half a year ago, approvals were coming through for people who'd waited up to 3 months or so. We're currently approving people who have been waiting for around 7 months. And I'd like to think that more resources will be allocated to make sure it doesn't actually get this bad, but the numbers suggest that anybody applying today might have to wait up to 14 months.

BigVer509 Feb 5, 2020 6:01 am

Me: Applied for Global Entry on Sept 3rd, 2019. Still waiting on CA
Wife: Applied for Global Entry on Feb 1st, 2020 and received CA on Feb 3rd.

We have traveled to pretty much the same countries. I had TSA PreCheck at application time and she has never had it. Go figure.

Baruch Sadogursky Feb 5, 2020 8:54 am

Applied Dec 8 (two adults, kids 9 and 19). Wife and 19yo approved in under 2 weeks. I and 9yo still waiting on CA.

LifeInCMH Feb 5, 2020 9:52 am

Originally Posted by hhllau (Post 32032105)
applied 6/15/2019
still pending review 2/4/2020

Very discouraging! I am also waiting since July 2019.

jcf27 Feb 5, 2020 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Exn (Post 32027807)
I think when they give a wait time like 11 weeks, they really just mean "we're currently getting to applications made 11 weeks ago". This is disingenuous, because of course people who are just applying will see the 11 week figure and assume it applies to them, too.

As for why the wait time is increasing, it's just that they're getting through applications slower than they're coming in! Suppose we started with a clean slate, no backlog, and that they can process 1,000 applications per month, but they have 2,000 applicants per month.

You'd end month 1 with 1,000 approvals, and a backlog of 1,000. Maximum wait time would be listed as "1 month". Remember though, that only applies to people who have just been approved. People on the backlog can actually expect to wait a total of 2 months.

Then through month 2, you clear that backlog of 1,000—but there were still 2,000 new applicants, and they all go onto the backlog. Now the backlog is 2,000, and maximum wait time is listed as "2 months". But again, that's not the whole picture: people at the back of the backlog queue (and indeed, any new applicants) can actually expect a total wait time of up to 3 months.

The problem gets worse with each month that passes. That's what's happening now: half a year ago, approvals were coming through for people who'd waited up to 3 months or so. We're currently approving people who have been waiting for around 7 months. And I'd like to think that more resources will be allocated to make sure it doesn't actually get this bad, but the numbers suggest that anybody applying today might have to wait up to 14 months.

Very good analysis! Also no two cases are the same. The outcome of 'Mary' has no bearing on the expectations from 'Bob'. Getting paranoid over a speeding ticket, failing to go to church, not being a good boy, or whatever the confession of the day is, is simply dumb. As the program gets more popular, people need to realize that there is finite number of resources to process all the application - new applications plus renewals. Either wait upfront for your turn, or at the tail waiting for months to schedule an interview. The end result tends to be the same process length.

fburke Feb 6, 2020 6:39 am

Originally Posted by steelesurfer (Post 31980030)
Has anyone applied for GE that currently has Precheck? I just applied today for GE but I'm hoping my Precheck clearance for the last 4 years speeds things along.

It doesn't help. Both my husband & I have precheck. We applied in July for GE. I was approved within a week, he is still waiting.

johnpvalentine Feb 6, 2020 9:04 am

Originally Posted by johnpvalentine (Post 32016397)
Applied: 7/10/19
CA: 1/31/20 (205 days)
First available appt ATL: 8/18/20 (will keep looking)

Update:
Looks like ATL enrollment office opened up more appointments, because a bunch of open times have appeared for June. We found appointment in May even (likely cancelation), which is perfect, shortly after birthday.