Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - US Citizens & LPRs First Time Applicants' Timelines & Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Messeages posted in this thread between 2010 and 2018 were archived and can be found here:
Print Wikipost

Global Entry - US Citizens & LPRs First Time Applicants' Timelines & Information

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by LT147
First post so please forgive me if I am not addressing this correctly.
I applied for GE 24 Feb 2019 and have been waiting with a "pending review" since. Numerous emails have all come back with the company line......"due to extended government shutdown....etc"
I am at almost 150 days and my wife and I have a mid Sept trip planned to Europe. BTW, she applied 10 April, rec'd approval within 10 days and happen to find a cancelled appointment at local CBP office and rec'd approval and ID card within another week.
Anyway, I see some mention of escalating the approval process. Any help on how this is done will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Here's the phone number and prompts --- 877-227-5511 (6/1/4/0) … good luck - sometimes (especially on Friday's) you get all the way through and they disconnect the call … but keep trying to call.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:10 pm

88 days today NOTHING. Contacted my Senator's office who had me fill out a form two weeks ago and nothing. Don't bother going that route.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
My wife and I had our GE interview yesterday at ORD at 9 am. The agent took us together, took fingerprints and verbally told us both approved. Within an hour I received an email with my approval update. My wife did not get an email and her login is still saying attend her interview which is showing as the 9 am slot we attended yesterday. Should she just call the ORD office as may have been clerical error by agent? Or is there different time frames for the approval emails to arrive?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:49 pm

Applied 7-May, still waiting for conditional approval
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:34 pm

I just received conditional approval this morning.

App: 4/7
CA: 7/20
103 days
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search purposes, a recent question and an answer about Global Entry renewal timelines were moved to the relevant thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by HD75
Application Date: June 26th
CA Date: July 2nd
Scheduled Interview for September 20th at MSP.

I should note that this was an application for a 12 year old so I wonder if that was the reason for the quick processing. She doesn't have much of a background to look into.

I really wanted to get this process completed during the summer so we may make a road trip to the Canadian border to do the interview there.
UPDATE:

We happened to have a free day this week and my daughter didn't want to miss any school for her GE interview, so we did decide to drive the 5 hours to to International Falls and do a GE interview there. I officially made the decision to drive up there about two days before we went so that's when I scheduled the interview...their interview schedule is wide open and interviews are easy to get. We had a chatty CBP agent and my daughter's fingerprints came back before we were even done talking with him. The facial recognition took a couple of hours but she had her approval within three hours of the interview.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:58 am

Long time lurker... I decided to play the Global Entry lottery. To my massive surprise, got the CA today

Application: 7/16
Conditional Approval: 7/21
=> 5 days

Planning to do Enrollment on Arrival in ATL in early August. Or earlier if something opens up in MSP.

For reference, I'm a US LPR since very recently, with extensive travel history and a gazillion biometrics and background checks done on me.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:10 pm

Hi All,

Decided to move to Global Entry for our upcoming Europe trip in September. With hearing things like 11 weeks or more, plus some of the waits reported here, I realized this was a long shot. Put in our applications the evening of Wednesday, July 17th.

Was conditionally approved today (July 22nd) - 5 days. If you don't count the weekend, that 3 business days. Nice.

Given what I've read here, my theory is the fact my wife and I (whole family actually) are TSA Pre-Check for the past year definitely sped things up. I believe I've read similar things here - where having existing PassID numbers, TSA Pre-Check, etc - definitely shortens your wait time. If anything I was expecting a delay like we had with Pre-Check, because my wife was born in Germany. My pre-check was approved in (if I remember correctly) 7 days, while hers took 5 weeks. So perhaps that background check process is considered when approving Global Entry.

We're coming back into an airport that allows "Enrollment on Arrival", so we'll be taking advantage of that when we arrive home. Pre-check heading out, Global Entry coming back. Sweet.

Wishing all of you having less than stellar experiences the best of luck - perhaps this is a sign of improved response times across the board!

-M
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:49 am

TSA pre doesn’t mean jack lol, I’ve bad it for 3 years. Put in my app for GE since 4/17 and still waiting for conditional approval, at 95 days now. Will call next week and see what’s going on.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:52 am

Perhaps you're on to something there - you've had it for 3 years - while we've only had it for about a year. Perhaps the time since the last background check has something to do with it? Again, just theories. For all we know, it could be a huge dart board...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: EY
Applied 4/7
Conditionally Approved 7/21
105 days/3.5 months
Upcoming Interview 8/14

This was for a new LPR, a few weeks after first arrival into the US. Notably we applied using the temporary I-551 stamped in the passport, not the official 10 year card you get a few months after landing. The application suggests you wait until that card is received, but we continued on. The main difference between the card and the temporary I-551 is the expiration date of 9 years later. The A-number is the same. I was worried that the expiration date issue would be a problem for approval, but that didn't seem to be the case.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:37 am

Cool

Originally Posted by marklodi
Hi All,

Decided to move to Global Entry for our upcoming Europe trip in September. With hearing things like 11 weeks or more, plus some of the waits reported here, I realized this was a long shot. Put in our applications the evening of Wednesday, July 17th.

Was conditionally approved today (July 22nd) - 5 days. If you don't count the weekend, that 3 business days. Nice.

Given what I've read here, my theory is the fact my wife and I (whole family actually) are TSA Pre-Check for the past year definitely sped things up. I believe I've read similar things here - where having existing PassID numbers, TSA Pre-Check, etc - definitely shortens your wait time. If anything I was expecting a delay like we had with Pre-Check, because my wife was born in Germany. My pre-check was approved in (if I remember correctly) 7 days, while hers took 5 weeks. So perhaps that background check process is considered when approving Global Entry.

We're coming back into an airport that allows "Enrollment on Arrival", so we'll be taking advantage of that when we arrive home. Pre-check heading out, Global Entry coming back. Sweet.

Wishing all of you having less than stellar experiences the best of luck - perhaps this is a sign of improved response times across the board!

-M
I don't think having TSA Pre-Check is a factor is getting conditional approval any faster. I've had it for just about 5 years. Yet, here I am exactly 155 days later still waiting for conditional approval for an application submitted on 2/18. I've gone through 2 FBI background checks for work. I've lived in the same house the past 14 years. The application for my 12 year old was submitted the same day 2/18, conditional approval on 5/1, interview and final approval completed on 6/21. My spouse already had global entry.

If I hadn't paid $100.00 it wouldn't be so irritating. There is no recourse. We are all subject to the whims of the system and just have to trust it is all being handled. I realize this is a "first world" problem but at this point it begs the question...how long can an application sit in limbo? 6 months? A year? In theory it seems as though it could sit out there ad infinitum.
I'm coming up on 6 months here shortly and will be forced to pay $85.00 for TSA Pre-Check renewal because my global is still pending and I don't want to lose Pre-Check. <sigh>
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by marklodi
Perhaps you're on to something there - you've had it for 3 years - while we've only had it for about a year. Perhaps the time since the last background check has something to do with it? Again, just theories. For all we know, it could be a huge dart board...
Definitely has nothing to do with TSA pre check. We too have TSA..had them for a lot less than 3 years. My husband got approved within 2 weeks, the kids and I had to wait 3 months. I think it's a gamble--but we got the GE cards now, that's all that matters I guess
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Socastee
I don't think having TSA Pre-Check is a factor is getting conditional approval any faster. I've had it for just about 5 years. Yet, here I am exactly 155 days later still waiting for conditional approval for an application submitted on 2/18. I've gone through 2 FBI background checks for work. I've lived in the same house the past 14 years. The application for my 12 year old was submitted the same day 2/18, conditional approval on 5/1, interview and final approval completed on 6/21. My spouse already had global entry.

If I hadn't paid $100.00 it wouldn't be so irritating. There is no recourse. We are all subject to the whims of the system and just have to trust it is all being handled. I realize this is a "first world" problem but at this point it begs the question...how long can an application sit in limbo? 6 months? A year? In theory it seems as though it could sit out there ad infinitum.
I'm coming up on 6 months here shortly and will be forced to pay $85.00 for TSA Pre-Check renewal because my global is still pending and I don't want to lose Pre-Check. <sigh>
Did you escalate it? It's a long shot but I did it (spoke to 2 different agents because both of them said the different thing). Within 2 weeks of escalating, we got our CA.
6 months is awfully a long time to have no status update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.