Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival

Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

CBP email text re Enrollment on Arrival. Currently available at IAH, YVR, HOU, and AUS. SFO later this summer.

Subject:
Why Wait? Interview for Global Entry When You Arrive.

Dear Global Entry Applicant,

Starting today, you have the unique opportunity to interview for Global Entry when you return from your next international trip at Houston, Hobby, Austin, San Francisco, and Vancouver.

What is Enrollment on Arrival? With Enrollment on Arrival, Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved can complete their interviews, the last step of the Global Entry process, while they are clearing through United States Customs and Border Protection or Preclearance. This options is now available at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) in Houston, Vancouver International Airport (YVR), William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), or Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS). The program will expand to additional airports this summer, to include San Francisco International Airport.

What do I do when I land in the international terminal? Follow the signage directing you to CBP officers who can complete your Global Entry interview during your admissibility inspection. You won't need any additional documents other than the requisite documents for international travel (e.g., your passport). After completing the process, you will be directed to a short feedback survey to help us improve this new opportunity for Global Entry applicants to Enroll on Arrival from an international trip. If you have a connecting flight, keep in mind that the Enroll on Arrival interview will take a few minutes longer than the typical CBP processing.

If you would like to save time and effort, then join thousands of other Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved and participate in Enrollment on Arrival.

For updated information regarding Enrollment on Arrival, please refer to the CBP website at: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...s/global-entry
Lesterjswinkl likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Thank you for letting us know your result. Jackpot indeed, timing works out perfectly for you. Persistence pays off handsomely for you. Enjoy your vacation.
Well this is turning into a roller coaster ride of surprises!

Just received an email from the CBP letting me know that International travellers arriving at certain US airports can compete the process without having to schedule an interview. You'll just do the finger prints and photo as part of the normal entry process with a CBP Officer to complete the process.

Crucially for me. my arrival airport is SFO which is on the list.

Full story here: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...-international
Lesterjswinkl likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Andrew Wright

Just received an email from the CBP letting me know that International travellers arriving at certain US airports can compete the process without having to schedule an interview. You'll just do the finger prints and photo as part of the normal entry process with a CBP Officer to complete the process.

That is great news. They should have done it long ago.

Thanks to Andrew Wright

Release Date: July 7, 2017
Program launches at airports in Houston, Austin, San Francisco and Vancouver

WASHINGTONU.S. Customs and Border Protection launched Enrollment on Arrival at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and Vancouver International Airport (YVR) for conditionally-approved Global Entry applicants to complete their interview, the final step of the Global Entry enrollment process, while clearing CBP processing. The program will shorten enrollment wait times for travelers at some of the busiest enrollment areas and will expand to additional airports in the coming months.

Global Entry LogoGlobal Entry continues to be one of CBPs most successful and popular programs with application volume steadily increasing over the past several years, said Acting Commissioner Kevin McAleenan. With Enrollment on Arrival, we are adapting and innovating our process to meet the programs demands by providing flexibility and additional options for travelers who need to complete their Global Entry interview.

Once a traveler is conditionally-approved, instead of scheduling an interview at a Global Entry Enrollment Center, the traveler can complete the enrollment interview during CBP primary inspection at a participating airport. Upon arrival, travelers will be directed to a primary booth designated specifically for Enrollment on Arrival. A CBP officer will conduct both the primary processing and Global Entry interview and collect the travelers biometrics to complete the enrollment. The traveler will then be cleared for entry into the United States and will be a Global Entry member.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...-international

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 30, 2019 at 1:06 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; Please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Partially this makes sense to clear a relatively low risk person into the program before they enter the country but a few things seems off to me. IAH & SFO make sense because of the multitude of international flights that connect to participating countries (where foreign residents qualify to GE) but AUS is a relatively low foreign travel volume airport. YVR somewhat makes more sense to me because of preclearance and the number of international connections but to less qualified residents. Canadians will do Nexus anyways.

It also means that there will have to be an office at each airport to do such interviews before entering the country which means more space in the airports immigration area & more staff.

One additional question, what happens if someone is turned down while in that interview? It's less common as people are conditionally approved but it does happen. If a major disqualifying issue comes up during the interview it seems highly possible that the foreign traveler would also be denied entry due to such information.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Did it last week at IAH and was a matter of 5min. Great
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by Andrew Wright

I just applied and am only due to go to NYC, Boston and LA over the next while. May have to schedule a trip to Houston!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by sarahluv
I just applied and am only due to go to NYC, Boston and LA over the next while. May have to schedule a trip to Houston!
In order for you to take advantage of Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival, you need to arrive from an airport outside of U.S.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In order for you to take advantage of Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival, you need to arrive from an airport outside of U.S.
sorry! that's what I meant! London to Houston
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by sarahluv
sorry! that's what I meant! London to Houston
Maybe in the near future, NYC, Boston or LA will be added to Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival soon.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:15 pm

Thanks for the DP, Duck1981 --- any info on whether there are limitations on hours of operation for this program? My partner wants to use it in August at SFO with flight arrival of 6am.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Partially this makes sense to clear a relatively low risk person into the program before they enter the country but a few things seems off to me. IAH & SFO make sense because of the multitude of international flights that connect to participating countries (where foreign residents qualify to GE) but AUS is a relatively low foreign travel volume airport. YVR somewhat makes more sense to me because of preclearance and the number of international connections but to less qualified residents. Canadians will do Nexus anyways.

It also means that there will have to be an office at each airport to do such interviews before entering the country which means more space in the airports immigration area & more staff.

One additional question, what happens if someone is turned down while in that interview? It's less common as people are conditionally approved but it does happen. If a major disqualifying issue comes up during the interview it seems highly possible that the foreign traveler would also be denied entry due to such information.
People who design beta tests of programs will typically try the work process on for size at different points in the market. SFO & IAH are major international hubs while AUS is not. It makes sense to try this at two types of facilities.

The entire program approach makes sense because the interview serves two purposes: A....Matching a real live person to a GOES profile & B... clearing up remaining points of confusion, if there are any.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mo270
Thanks for the DP, Duck1981 --- any info on whether there are limitations on hours of operation for this program? My partner wants to use it in August at SFO with flight arrival of 6am.
Hello

Sorry can't help on this one - the GE interview desk is simply (at IAH) another desk in the row of 'standard' CBP desks for passport checking etc. so I guess it depends if they have an officer available or not.

D
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:38 am

Great idea! Could the list of cities have to do with the interview wait time there? I know when I went through the GE process last year, the wait for an interview in DC was almost two months (which I thought was ridiculous) but I remember reading about much longer waits elsewhere.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold, IHG Spire
Has anyone gone through the process yet at SFO? What is it like?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I swear I saw Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival signage at EWR Terminal B when I passed through on July 17.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.