Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs NEXUS

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Thanks for this info.

Has anyone seen this stated officially anywhere? Are there perhaps signs at pre-clearance pointing Global Entry members to the crew line?
FYI, I emailed CBP about this today, regarding returning to the U.S. from YYZ, and using the crew line or Nexus lane as a GE member, and this was the official response:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, Global Entry may not be used at a pre-clearance location in Canada because they are not a participating airport. In order to use Global Entry; the airport must be participating in Global Entry.

The CBP INFO Center"
Old May 3, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Yes. The solution is to get NEXUS. Saves you fifty bucks and gets you the extra privileges.
Old May 4, 2011, 9:28 am

Thanks - but I'm actually only asking if, as a GE member, one can skip the line, should there be one. Of course one can't use the NEXUS machines.

There are some posts in this thread that say that GE members may be able to skip the general line by using the line/immigration agent for crews. I guess I'll find out next time I transit YYZ later this month.

Personally, I don't go to Canada often, other than to connect on AC in YYZ. The few times I've actually been to Canada however, as a US permanent resident and Western European citizen, it has always been a long and unpleasant immigration procedure. So telling the Canadians that I want to apply for NEXUS but that I don't have any intention of actually using it to enter Canada would, I think, get me a denial...
Old May 4, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Thanks - but I'm actually only asking if, as a GE member, one can skip the line, should there be one. Of course one can't use the NEXUS machines.

There are some posts in this thread that say that GE members may be able to skip the general line by using the line/immigration agent for crews. I guess I'll find out next time I transit YYZ later this month.

Personally, I don't go to Canada often, other than to connect on AC in YYZ. The few times I've actually been to Canada however, as a US permanent resident and Western European citizen, it has always been a long and unpleasant immigration procedure. So telling the Canadians that I want to apply for NEXUS but that I don't have any intention of actually using it to enter Canada would, I think, get me a denial...
A case of YMMV and the port of entry. The immigration procedure in Canada has never been unpleasant for me (initially as a tourist, later on a work permit, now as a permanent resident), but there may be lines that are quite unpleasant.

If you live close enough to one of the Canadian Nexus enrollment centers (or can fit travel to one into your schedule easily - remember that only Canadian centers do the iris scan required for air travel), than I would go for it - at least when renewal of your GE comes up. I would NOT tell them that you don't plan to travel to Canada, but that you expect your travel plans to take you to Canada much more frequently in the future. That is about all you need.

Also, the frequency you use Nexus is not a real issue, as long as you meet the other requirements...
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:07 pm

Global Entry cards are Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant documents for land and sea travel. Additionally, these cards will be valid for use at the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes coming into the United States. However, Global Entry cards will not be valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks;
Any chance this changes? I don't go to Canada often but when I do I prefer to drive.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:08 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cstu11
Any chance this changes? I don't go to Canada often but when I do I prefer to drive.
This is not likely to change anytime in the near future without some sort of additional action on your part. Entry into Canada is governed by the CBSA, a Canadian agency that is not affiliated with Global Entry. The reason NEXUS cards allow expedited entry into Canada is because the NEXUS interview is conducted by both US and Canadian officials.

Asking for Global Entry cardholders (who have only been interviewed by US officials) to be granted NEXUS privileges is not likely to pass muster with Canadian officials who want to vet and interview those people themselves.

The good news is NEXUS only costs $50 and uses the same registration system as Global Entry. If you live or will be travelling near the Canadian border, you can apply online and schedule your interview at your leisure.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:10 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chugger1
I'm a GE member. At the rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, can I use the Nexus lane? If I can use my GE membership at a non GE airport to go to the front of the line, I just wonder what would happen if I went to the Nexus lane at the Rainbow Bridge crossing in a rental car.
Originally Posted by colonius
In short: no, you cannot use the Nexus lane with Global Entry. Another reason why it makes more sense to get Nexus with GE instead of GE only.
This is not entirely correct. A GE member with a GE Card can enter the United States using the NEXUS vehicle lanes (but cannot enter Canada using the NEXUS lanes).

So to chugger1, if you get yourself a Global Entry Card, you can use the NEXUS vehicle lanes when entering the United States; you would still have to use the regular lanes when entering Canada, though.

To have trusted traveler status in Canada, you have to be vetted by the Canadians (CBSA); they don't just take the American's (CBP) word for it.

But like I said above, if you get the GE Card, you can use NEXUS vehicle lanes into the US.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
GOES Travelers going through US Customs in Canada

Does anyone know if the GOES approved travelers are yet able to use special processing lanes at Trudeau Airport in Montreal? I understood that this would be possible starting in September at Montreal, Toronto and several other Candadian airports - but last month when i was in Montreal I didn't see any signs, etc. directing GOES travelers to kiosks, etc.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Its not going to change, because the Canadians have a vested interest in their own customs and immigration policy. The only way it changes is if the border is opened up, Schengen style, and a condition of any new trusted traveler program involves a joint interview or empowering the respective country's agent to perform both parts of the interview. I doubt that happens anytime soon.

Anyway, if you get a GE card, you can use the return lanes now, apparently. Similarly, you can use SENTRI lanes (I think you need a SENTRI-registered car still) to enter the US from Mexico and can use NEXUS lanes entering the US as well.

Originally Posted by baliktad
This is not likely to change anytime in the near future without some sort of additional action on your part. Entry into Canada is governed by the CBSA, a Canadian agency that is not affiliated with Global Entry. The reason NEXUS cards allow expedited entry into Canada is because the NEXUS interview is conducted by both US and Canadian officials.

Asking for Global Entry cardholders (who have only been interviewed by US officials) to be granted NEXUS privileges is not likely to pass muster with Canadian officials who want to vet and interview those people themselves.

The good news is NEXUS only costs $50 and uses the same registration system as Global Entry. If you live or will be travelling near the Canadian border, you can apply online and schedule your interview at your leisure.
Exactly. The criminal/customs checks might be the same but the NEXUS interview with the country that you don't have citizenship/PR in is there, ostensibly, to assure the person is trustworthy. I personally see it as more of an immigration check than a customs one.

Originally Posted by Allanf
Does anyone know if the GOES approved travelers are yet able to use special processing lanes at Trudeau Airport in Montreal? I understood that this would be possible starting in September at Montreal, Toronto and several other Candadian airports - but last month when i was in Montreal I didn't see any signs, etc. directing GOES travelers to kiosks, etc.
GOES is the Global Online Enrollment System, not Global Entry. Use the acronym GE for Global Entry, as we do use GOES frequently when talking about the computer system.

Anyway, I can't speak for YUL, but if it is like YYZ, there is at least one GE kiosk in the US pre-clearance section of the terminal. They haven't signed the area as such, and you cannot use the NEXUS kiosks without being enrolled in NEXUS and having the requisite iris scan. You can, however, use the GE kiosk. Indeed, it saves a little time and effort using the GE kiosk because you don't have to fill out the Blue Form.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:29 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Indeed, it saves a little time and effort using the GE kiosk because you don't have to fill out the Blue Form.
Is CBP aware of that fact finally?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:48 pm

Just did our NEXUS interviews, fingerprints, and iris scans at YVR last weekend. My question is...

What is the next step after receiving and activating our NEXUS cards in order to get GE benefits?

I definitely want to utilize GE for returning to USA from another foreign country (not Canada).
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:19 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by infamousdx
Just did our NEXUS interviews, fingerprints, and iris scans at YVR last weekend. My question is...

What is the next step after receiving and activating our NEXUS cards in order to get GE benefits?

I definitely want to utilize GE for returning to USA from another foreign country (not Canada).
Step 1: Apply for NEXUS
Step 2: Get interviewed, fingerprinted, and optionally iris scanned
Step 3: There is no step 3!

As soon as you're approved by NEXUS, you are eligible to use GE kiosks to enter the United States. This is an attribute of your citizenship document (eg passport) so you don't need to use your NEXUS card at the GE kiosks or wait for anything further. Just step right up with your passport and fingerprints the next time you are at a GE-enabled port of entry.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
Step 1: Apply for NEXUS
Step 2: Get interviewed, fingerprinted, and optionally iris scanned
Step 3: There is no step 3!

As soon as you're approved by NEXUS, you are eligible to use GE kiosks to enter the United States. This is an attribute of your citizenship document (eg passport) so you don't need to use your NEXUS card at the GE kiosks or wait for anything further. Just step right up with your passport and fingerprints the next time you are at a GE-enabled port of entry.
In that case, rock on! I'm glad the NEXUS interviews lined up perfectly with my YVR vacation then! Thanks ^
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Ari
Is CBP aware of that fact finally?
How do you mean? Its the local CBP that told me that.

Originally Posted by infamousdx

It used to be that you would go back into GOES and click on the Global Entry tab, click through the application pages (as the application would already be filled in) and apply without paying. You'd then get near-instant approval.

Now, you don't do anything. Its automatic and its open to Canadian NEXUS holders as well. I'm a little surprised they didn't give you the CBP sticker at YVR.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
How do you mean? Its the local CBP that told me that.

It used to be that you would go back into GOES and click on the Global Entry tab, click through the application pages (as the application would already be filled in) and apply without paying. You'd then get near-instant approval.

Now, you don't do anything. Its automatic and its open to Canadian NEXUS holders as well. I'm a little surprised they didn't give you the CBP sticker at YVR.
Hmm... is the lack of a sticker going to be an issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.