Last edited by HIDDY; Nov 5, 2016 at 10:46 am
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Deleted

Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:06 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

great writing....
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Deleted

Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

great writing....
Too quick - You never read it all...........now go back to the start and read it all again. I may ask questions later............
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Thanks for taking the time to write all of this up for us.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:54 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
HIDDY, Thank you for what is one of the most comprehensive set of TRs online! Looks like the food on your FRA-EZE was somewhat less pleasant than my experience on the same route in December past when a rather delicious roast goose was served for Christmas.

The LH J class seat isn't fantastic as your and your wife experienced, although I found it sufficent for the day flight to EZE. If you want to experience really uncomfortable angled lie flat, I suggest you try the (soon to be replaced) Swiss J on the A340!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:13 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Disappointing it has to be said was two of the BA F flights – memorable for all the wrong reasons. However our last one to HKG partly restored our faith in the BA F product.
Glad to hear BA finally came through for you HIDDY. Hopefully I will be able to report the same in a few weeks.

Fabulous reports. It has been fun travelling round the world with you and your wife.

How long are you grounded for now? Are the HIDs going to be back in the sky sometime soon?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:15 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Just outstanding...can't wait for the next trip, the chores can wait, can't they?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Another great report HIDDY! ^ ^
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
A* ^

Lufthansa don't look too good, it doesn't tempt me over to Star Alliance at all, whereas carriers like Thai and SQ do. Glad you finally had a good BA F experience.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:37 am

Superb report.. You really should consider travel writing as a prosfession... I thank you....
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Okay, take a look at the picture and tell me what you really think? If some top celebrity chef is earning big bucks to come up with something like that………I’m going to become a celebrity chef.
In my opinion, this whole "celebrity chef" menu phenomenon is a marketing gimmick. I am a fairly regular AA flyer and have been sitting up front more often than not as of late. They don't really promote their meals as being "created" or "inspired" by any particular celebrity or renowned chef. They go for this "Chef's Conclave" concept. I have seen certain chef's names listed next to a particular dish, but I haven't really seen to much emphasis placed on the chef with AA.

On a recent MX flights from JFK-MEX and CUN-JFK I noticed that Patricia Quintana is no longer the celebrity chef featured on the menu. Now it's Enrique Olvera, owner/proprietor of Pujol in the Polanco neighborhood of Mexico City. All well and good. So, I was looking at the menu for JFK-MEX this past June and was delighted to see that the four cheese ravioli offered on that same MX flight about a year ago (when Patricia Quintana was the chef) made an appearance. Same meal. Nothing different. It was still delicious for airline food, but it was the same meal I had a year ago. So, the question is who "created" this dish? Quintana? Olvera? Or, Gate Gourmet?

Now, I realize this is an isolated incident, but it got me wondering whether chefs are paying to put their names on these menus to get the exposure. Could be. I just don't know. But, I can't believe that renowned chefs would even want to be associated with airline food. Just my two cents.

In the end, I don't fly for the food. It's nice when I do get a nice meal and certainly makes for an enjoyable flight.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Thanks for taking the time to write all of this up for us.
Thanks for reading. ^

Originally Posted by BHDBOY
Looks like the food on your FRA-EZE was somewhat less pleasant than my experience on the same route in December past when a rather delicious roast goose was served for Christmas.
Yeah it wouldn't put me off flying with LH again.One shouldn't judge on one bad meal. ^

Originally Posted by Moomba
How long are you grounded for now? Are the HIDs going to be back in the sky sometime soon?
Thanks Moomba . No we won't be going anywhere - at least not by plane. Have a yearning for Alaska, Yosemite and Tierra del Fuego which is a bit closer to home.....we shall see.

Originally Posted by VanMan
Just outstanding...can't wait for the next trip, the chores can wait, can't they?
Cheers VanMan - The chores can't wait I'm afraid so no immediate plans for any more trips.

Originally Posted by PhilH
Another great report HIDDY! ^ ^
Thanks PhilH.

Originally Posted by Genius1
A* ^
Lufthansa don't look too good,
It was a wee bit disappointing but I like the fact they have a day flight over to here so will probably use them again. Looking forward to your SIN report. ^

Originally Posted by RTW4
Superb report.. You really should consider travel writing as a prosfession... I thank you....
Thanks RTW4 - Oh that would be nice - if airlines and hotels give me free tickets and lodgings I am prepared to tell lies.

Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR
In my opinion, this whole "celebrity chef" menu phenomenon is a marketing gimmick.
I suspect you're right and I imagine they're making some good money out of it for doing very little.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Nice one Hiddy ^

You are very good at writing trip reports! Shame it is all over - I guess that is time to plan the next jaunt!!!

Thanks for putting the effort into writing them all.

Regards
AKS120

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.