Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

AC Milk Run YYZ-YVR on 77L in J

AC Milk Run YYZ-YVR on 77L in J

Old Jul 31, 09, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, OZ Diamond Plus
Maple Leaf Lounge

I love the beautiful entrance to this MLL, especially compared to the rather unimpressive-looking elevators that greet you at YYZ.

Entrance foyer area of the MLL.

Up the stairs (or elevator)...

The views from the Domestic MLL are much better, IMHO, than from the new Observation Deck. Here are some shots I took:

Fin 935 arrives to operate out as AC003 to NRT.

Lucky to catch KE's 744. They've been using 772's lately.

Three flights to YYZ all lined up. The 763 in the foreground is operating AC64, continuing from ICN to YYZ. The 333 is taking me on AC1166. I believe the 763 behind is operating AC1168, which leaves 15 minutes after my flight...

Hybrid-livried AC aircraft always make me appreciate the fully-pained birds...

Fin 731 arrives to operate AC007 to HKG this afternoon. Such a stunning aircraft!

I have the GJ model of this 77W...

Seating area. Not as beautiful as the YYZ domestic MLL.

But just as functional.

Decent wine selection.

Self-serve bar area.

Try your hand at pouring a beer. I've tried a couple times before I've gotten it right!

Or save yourself with some cans of beer!
Old Jul 31, 09, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Boarding and Seat in Executive First

This gorgeous A330 waiting at C51.

Boarding was done 10 minutes behind schedule. The lovely Gate Agent let us know that they had some difficulty with the air conditioning on the aircraft, and wanted to make sure that it was sufficiently cool on board before they started the boarding process. Because it was north of 30 degrees C that day in Vancouver, I'm sure no one had a problem with that (it was even quite warm in the terminal).

I wasn't the first one on board this time, but still managed to snap a shot of the door 2L.

4A would be mine for this flight.

The 1-1-1 layout of the A330 means that the "A" side has more privacy.

Please see the first page of my TR to read/see more details about the Executive First seats. Besides the different layout on the 330 (1-1-1 vs. 1-2-1), there weren't any fresh air vents on the 330. :-( Also, notice that there are not over-head storage bins in the forward J cabin. The rear J cabin has them, oddly enough. Anyone know why?

A shot of the padded seat belt. There is an airbag inside?

Cabin Views

The F/A's station... showing the status of the doors (disarmed/opened, etc.)

Flight deck of C-GFUR. Thanks to Captain Deslauriers and F/O Harris for letting me up front!

Forward J Cabin

Rear J Cabin

J loads were relatively light; only 1 passenger was seated in the rear J cabin.

Midship (?) galley.

Rear Y cabin views.

Rear galley.

Service

Pre-flight drinks (water, orange juice), newspapers, and headphone covers were offered. Smiles all around, but we were delayed a bit when Cara employees came onboard. Apparently there was some last minute adjustments to the catering. 5 minutes later, we were off!

Orange juice, in plastic cup.

Push-back from C51.

Hot towel service once the seat-belt sign was turned off.

Drink service promptly after.

A nice wine selection. Two reds, three whites.

My 2006 Pinot Grigio.

Last edited by AC340-541; Jul 31, 09 at 10:18 pm
Old Jul 31, 09, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Cold-plate appetizer of grilled chicken, marinated vegetables, and a warmed her roll. Note the tablecloth! :0)

The veg was flavourful, the chicken was alright. The warm roll was a great touch.

Nice cutlery, AC!

I opted to try the Tilapia over the beef. Served with wild rice.

I believe it was a sundried tomato crust, with a mustard-based sauce. Drinks were always topped up frequently.

Very good flavour, texture, and temperature.

Dessert of hot tea with milk, freshly baked chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies, and ice cream!

Warm, crisp, and gooey. Seriously, this is great for a domestic product. Keep it up, AC!

Hmm... a warm day in Vancouver means...

The ice cream had already melted about half-way. Too bad!

Frequent drink service was offered throughout the remainder of the flight.

In-flight photos

Take-off from 26R.

Blue skies out of the porthole in the emergency exit.

Sunset sets in during our trek Eastwards.

The slanted seats makes taking photos difficult!

The moving map works! Almost in YYZ.

Approaching YYZ.

Arrival and Conclusion

We had a (relatively) short taxi to Gate 139, but stopped short of the jetway. Apparently the ground vehicles had not arrived yet (to marshall the aircraft into position?). After about 5-7 minutes, we taxied another few metres before we stopped. Looking out the port side, those of us in J could see that the air bridge was moving to the 1L door. It was only after the air bridge operator banged on the door of 1L before he or she realized the mistake, and moved the air bridge towards 2L. I've never actually watched an air bridge move intently before -- it's SLOW.

Arrival at YYZ.

Anyways, we were off the plane in another few minutes. It's a bit of a trek from 139 to the baggage claim, and for the first time ever, my bags made it out before I arrived! There were still many passengers from AC064 (which had arrived 30 minutes prior) who were still waiting! I considered myself lucky!

Overall, I would have to say that AC's recently upgraded/retooled/refocused (etc.) domestic J product is thoroughly enjoyable and I would strongly encourage fliers to try to hit one of the AE tiers (Elite) so that they can experience it for themselves!

Happy flying, everyone! Thanks for reading!
Old Jul 31, 09, 11:28 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Good to see you had a nice return to YYZ! Some great pics there!
Old Aug 1, 09, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR LT Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
Could you comment on your thoughts of the herringbone design that AC uses? From your photos, it does look better than the design CX uses for their business class. I am curious because the CX setup was very disappointing to me and it almost made me claustrophobic, I do not know if that was the case for you on AC.

Nontheless, Nice Trip Report
Old Aug 1, 09, 10:40 am

I'm now ready to try AC. Thanks for the report.
Old Aug 1, 09, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 View Post
Could you comment on your thoughts of the herringbone design that AC uses? From your photos, it does look better than the design CX uses for their business class. I am curious because the CX setup was very disappointing to me and it almost made me claustrophobic, I do not know if that was the case for you on AC.

Nontheless, Nice Trip Report
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in any other herringbone F/C/J product, so keep that in mind when you read my comments.

I wouldn't call the AC J Pods to be claustrophobic, although they are by most people's standard not very conducive to conversation with a flying partner without being overly loud. I felt that the layout of the Pods were quite well thought-out; there wasn't anything that was out of reach. The reading light is next to you on the forward divider wall, the seat controls and AVOD controls are right next to the screen, the table is of a good size, and there are two places for your drinks -- a cup holder (like in a car) as well as a mini ledge that circles around the Pod behind you.

I've read on another thread on FT that the magazine pocket was too far behind you when in the upright seated position, but I found the copy of enRoute was easy to take out (the arm rest even folds up to make it easy to take out/put back) without having to recline.

Some little things that I realized, which were not a huge issue to me but might be for other travelers:

- If you're in fully flat bed mode, it is difficult to get the table out, because the cover must be pulled outwards before the table is accessible. Not sure who would want to have their table out while sleeping though.
- The table doesn't swing outwards to let you get out; rather it just slides forward. This may be enough space for some but not for others.
- There were no over-head fresh air vents on the 333, but there were two for each Pod on the 77L.

The seats are more narrow than other forward-facing C/J seats on international carriers, if width is an issue for you then perhaps they will not be as comfortable, but the amount of space length-wise can't be beat, IMHO. I really enjoy stretching my legs out even when in only a slight recline, while watching the AVOD or enjoying cookies/drinks.

As far as the whole "moving 30-45 degrees to the direction that you're facing" issue, I know it was a bit strange for me the first time, but second time around I didn't really notice it as much. Rather, I was more disappointed that it is difficult to get a view out of the windows. I'd much prefer this seat orientation to sitting in a rear-ward facing seat, as on BA and other carriers. Just my $0.02 CDN.

I hope this gives you some more feedback on AC's J Pods. If you have any more detailed questions I'll try to give you an answer.
Old Sep 1, 09, 5:05 pm

very good. thank you!
Old Sep 8, 09, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Why do you call this a Milk Run? This is a mainline transcon, the flagship of AC's domestic route network. A Milk Run would be a flight that had many stops en route (i.e. YYZ-YWG-YXE-YYC-YVR), which this definitely does not. May I kindly suggest you modify your thread title?

Other than that, I quite enjoyed your observations about a service I've taken many times and that I know spoils most of us up here being a domestic run!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: