Pre-TR, My Very First TR, RTW, and International F Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC

[Pre-TR]

Good Day FTers!

Although I've been flying a number of times after joining FT, I felt that this one should be documented for others to read and hoping they'll enjoy a writing from a TR Newbie.

Here I am writing while sitting in bed, thinking of nothing but my first trip in F almost all the way in UA Domestic F, SQ International F, CI Y, and UA PS C (will OLCI/Gate upgrade to F).

My actual trip will start tomorrow when my shuttle driver picks me up and delivers me to SEA and finally begin my RTW trip in SQ F.

To be honest, for all my life; I've never imagined being able to fly in International F especially with SQ.. But life comes my way, and thanks to my dad's financial support and that of my own savings; I managed to book my SQ RTW and a few connecting flights on United.

The flight plans are detailed below:

Jun-20, SEA-SFO (UA): A320, Seat 2C
Jun-21, SFO-HKG-SIN (SQ): 77W, Seat 1F
Jun-25, SIN-SUB (CI): A333, Seat Unknown
Sept-21, SUB-SIN (MI): A320, Seat Unknown
Sept-21, SIN-FRA-JFK (SQ): 744, Seat 2F
Sept-22, JFK-SFO (UA PS): 752, Seat 6C
Sept-22, JFK-PDX (UA): 752, Seat 5B

You might wonder about the CI Y, but since my dad 'wishes' me to fly along with the rest of the family instead of redeeming my KF miles on MI C, I just had to follow him which to my dismay ends me up flying CI instead of MI.

In this trip I'll be spending some time in the Meritus Mandarin in SIN, since my dad told me its the 'cheapest' and I can't get any cheaper than that.. I was eager to prove him wrong on all accounts (being an FT member anyway, I was ready to strut my stuff out to him and prove him wrong), but he being my dad and I'm his son, I just had to follow through even if I've found a fantastic deal on the Swissotel..

Since I am also leaving SEA and starts my new school year in PDX, I had to say a few goodbyes to all my friends, the good Metro Drivers whom I had befriended, and everyone I've met especially the people from Catanzarros in Pike Place Market (Where I've bought from them 9lbs of either Muscat or Rainiers every week and kindly always left me some stocks to buy). On a separate note, I also managed to get to see Boeing's Museum of Flight after 2 years living in SEA. To be honest, it was really worth it.. Got to even see three historic aircrafts such as the P-51 Mustang, B-17G Flying Fortress, B24J Liberator, and all of them still flying thanks to the efforts of restoration groups that had done a tremendous job..

Pics of the B-17G Flying Fortress:

The Front of the Plane, featuring its .50 Caliber Machine Guns:

More of the Front end, this time showing its scores:

An AF 777 happens to depart from the field, still a bit of the B-17 on the right side..

The Bombardier + Nose Gunner position:

Flight Controls in the C***pit:

Flight Mechanic's Control Board:

The rest of the pics will be available here

This is the end of my Pre-TR, although I still have so much to talk about; I kind of forgotten what to actually talk about up to this point.. I hope all of you will enjoy this little Pre-Boarding Snack...
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
To be continued (Hopefully by 21:00 Hours Pacific Time)...
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:09 pm

WOW, looks like an exciting trip and look forward to reading your TR especially on the SQ F segments.

cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA S
looking forward to the SQ F on the 77W. Does FT really censor cockpit?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the feedback.. Down below is a little something before the Big SQ RTW...

[SEATAC Airport, June 20th ~ 16:00 PM]

My trip began officially as I arrive in SEATAC at about 4 in the afternoon. It was all quiet, nice and serene with only a couple of lines in Y and three or four people in the Elite line..

This is how quiet the CI desk was:

Everything went on surprisingly well and I noticed this gentlemen in purple shirts and took no notice to him and he as well to me.

I checked in, and managed to get my Interline with SQ prepped by the agent and weighed everything down. Got my BP and was ready to head out to the Screening area when this gentlemen in the purple shirt approached me not one feet from the CI counter and asked me, "Are you a Flyertalker?"

For a moment there, I was quiet and managed to reply "yes". He then told me his FT handle, which I thought due to his thick English/Australian accent was Kawohl.

And so, I gave him way to first do his stuff with the CI agent and once everything's done, we chatted a little bit.

Turned out, he's Kawoh the Star Alliance Moderator. So we shook hands (If I remember correctly) and started to chat a bit when he said that this was his second ever meeting an FTer with the 'Flyertag'.

He then suggested we find a coffee shop, which is a Starbucks right beside the screening gate with Alaska's elite line and we talked about an hour or so until it is time for me to depart. Turns out, he's on his way to HKG and LHR tomorrow.

So at around 17:05, we parted ways and wished each other a good flight and trip..

Here's a pic of me and Kawoh:

Sorry that the pic blurred a bit, but here's me on the left and he on the right. I'll post a much better one when he emailed me the pic from his camera..

Afterwards, the screening's pretty uneventful and I fail to see the need to go through UA's elite line, so I went through to the screening place near the starbucks as Kawoh departed.

Pic of SEA's Screening Area:

All in all, very uneventful screening.. Even managed to make a few friendly gestures to fellow flyers and no MMWs in sight. TSA Agents were pretty calm, nothing really happened.

Then, I was on my way to gate N16 using the tram system and arrived there about 1 hour before the boarding time. I entered the RCC without a problem, whipped my SQ *G and BP, all went well. I also asked her about photo opportunity of the cabin, and she said to me to just head to the gate around 5:35 and ask the GA about it. So the only thing I did was just use the bathroom and went out to the gates and asked a Male GA about taking pictures of the cabin.. His answer? Well, plain and simple "NO!"

Ah well, I tried anyways so a bit grumbling I went back to the RCC and told the RCC agent about what happened. Soon afterwards, I went to grab some pics and an apple juice before I go back to the gate for boarding.

A few shots from the RCC...

It was quiet, there was probably less than 10 people, and here's a few quick shots:

The Bar, quite empty too:

The Front Desk.. Very quiet:

My glass of Apple Juice with Ice:

[Trip 1, SEA-SFO]

Flight: UA 475
Aircraft: A320
Seat: 2C
Load: F 9, Y & Y+ 80% Full

So as we board, there were two UA pilots joining the F pax. I happen to sit to one of them. As the flight safety video turned on, we started chatting a bit, topic starting from myself to finally Glenn Tilton and how much he and the rest of UA hates Glenn..

This UA pilot's very nice and we really talked a whole lot. Until in the end of the flight, he gave me a little surprise when I mentioned to him about GGG mid-flight...

The rest was very quiet.. Service was nice, fruits and cheese were served and a bit of turbulence as we enter SFO.

I managed to take a few pics before the plane departed and here's some of it..

Seat 3D, right behind the UA Pilot:

Pic from the back cabin:

The wristband given to me by the pilot whom I didn't get properly introduced:

Well, that's all for now..

Next time, It's all about UA's First Int'l Lounge, SFO SKL, and the part you've all been waiting for... SQ's First Class onboard the Boeing 777-300ER..

Hope you enjoy!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:18 am

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Are you just doing a turn around in SUB?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Just arrived in HKG, camera's battery's dead and won't be able to take any pics of HKG SKL nor write a follow up report.. Will charge the camera right away and take some more pics with my cell..

camsean, SUB is my final destination actually before the next round of RTW..
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
You will enjoy F on the SQ 77W, its been my best FC experience to date.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLATL777
You will enjoy F on the SQ 77W, its been my best FC experience to date.
The 12 hour flight was enjoyable, now waiting for the final 4 to SIN. I'll give a continuing report hopefully before this evening SIN time..
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
The 12 hour flight was enjoyable, now waiting for the final 4 to SIN. I'll give a continuing report hopefully before this evening SIN time..
Wow, SFO-HKG in 12 hours? Thats very good; when I flew it back in February, are flying time was 15 hours and 5 minutes! That next leg should be about 3 1/2. Continue enjoying!
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

A few more photos, lounge experience, and SQ 001 SFO-HKG-SIN

Sorry for being very late on this part.. Didn't quite get enough internet access or time to allow me to do this.. So here goes!

[SFO]

After I went from the domestic gates (Gate 74), I went straight through to the bridge and on towards the International Terminal.

The first thing I did was to go down to gate 91 and ask the ground staff to print my BP and check the interline with United. There was one person who I went through asking that, he actually pulled a Y boarding pass until he later checked his computer and saw me flying in F. I was surprised when he did this and once he realized his mistake, he sent one of his colleagues to take an F BP to print my tix. Later on, I asked the same person, whose name is 'Bill' if I could actually get onboard first and take a few pictures around 10 minutes before boarding time. Bill told me to get back from the lounge around 10 after midnight and also informed me that the SKL will not be open until 21:45. So I decided to head towards the RCC towards the connecting bridge.

During my previous conversation with Kawoh, he told me that the RCC was much more horrendous than SKL so I was dreading for something terrible.. But what do you know?

When I entered and flashed my BP; the LL (Lounge Lady) recognised instantly that the SKL is still closed, offered me a few drink chits, and when I asked for the 24 hour internet card, she gave one to me.

Then I asked her since I'm flying in F if I can get into United's F lounge. She was very helpful and with a phone call towards the F desk, she told me where it is and sends me on my way!

Now I didn't really see the 'innards' of the RCC, but when I entered the lounge.. Well, Color me impressed!! ^

United's SFO International First Class Lounge

The LL at the lounge welcomed me and asked me for my BP and *G card which I happily gave to her. She told me once more that SKL will be open at21:45 and that the F lounge will close at 22:00. Once all the works were finished, I went down with the elevator and it was quiet down there.. and gorgeous!

So as I went through to almost the very end of the room, there were two united 744s standing by to lift off outside the windows and two other people inside the lounge.

A few photos:

A shot of the room:

A United 744, appears to be heading out to HKG:

Now foodwise, I didn't really know what to expect when Kawoh told me of no 'hot' food in the RCC; this was also true for the Int'l F lounge. However, their food selections were impressive to say the least..

There were seafood quesadillas, a few sushi varieties, cold meats, cheeses, shrimp co**tails, cold vegetable selections, beers, wines, spirits, etc.

I was quite hungry at the time since I didn't have too much time for lunch earlier on, and decided for a few quick nibs:

Of course, me being a good FTer and always looking for travel related inquiries; there's always a little time to go on the web

A few shots of the 'selections' at the F lounge:

I'd highly recommend the bacon, they're good:

Drink Chits and Internet Card given to me from the very nice LL at the RCC:

A few reading selections:

So, it was 21:40 and I decided to just go towards the SKL.. Big Mistake! The Int'l F was much nicer than SKL

And so, I went back up towards the RCC and took a right turn to SKL. I thought at first its going to be much better than the F lounge. However when I entered, there was a LL waiting for me and directed me towards the left hand side of the lounge denoting a big "First Class" by the doors..

The lounge itself was very small, the food selections were not too varied, and so does the 'other' things.

It was a huge disappointment on my part and had wished I could stay for a few minutes longer in the F lounge.. To put it into perspective:

The First Class Section:

A few nibs that I took:

The only thing that soothes me a bit was when I went in to take a shower. The LL immediately picked me some towels and asked me if I require a shaver or anything else. I said no, and here's a few pic of the shower room. It is practically one very big bathroom:

The only thing missing from the shower was the actual labeling on the soap/shampoo/conditioner dispenser.. I didn't know which ones I actually used, but it was indeed a good shower.

The next part will be SQ's First Class onboard the 77W. Stay tuned!

Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:06 pm

This is an excellent. trip report.. I agree with you about the UA lounge.. It is quite good IMHO
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:24 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Good job! Thanks for sharing your impressions.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Nice trip report so far...looking forward to the rest :-)
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:09 am

Look forward to reading your SQ F experience with some photos

cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.