Pre-TR, My Very First TR, RTW, and International F Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-TR, My Very First TR, RTW, and International F Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
My sincere apologies for not continuing to update this and my most sincere apologies for not able to continue the report anytime soon. As of now, I'm basically stuck with a broken laptop and won't get anything in and out at a regular rate until I get a new one. In the meantime, I've halted everything on the net including this one until something can be done to solve this problem.

Again, my apologies...
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:31 pm

Kamu wong suroboyo ya?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by peasant
Kamu wong suroboyo ya?
Um.. yes, and no.. I was born in Surabaya, tapi besar di Banjarmasin.. Been in school in SUB over the last 6 years and now in Seattle for Uni...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Departure SFO-HKG

I am terribly sorry for the very long delay of this TR..

So here goes, I hope you'll enjoy it!

Singapore Airlines SQ 001 SFO-HKG
F - 3/8
C - Full
Y - Full

After sometime checking the internet and went on to do some stuff since the lounge is pretty lame, it was finally time to board the aircraft. So I strolled down to gate 91 where the aircraft had been waiting, flipped open my wallet and produced my BP to the ground staff and proceeded towards the aircraft.

Onboard, the crew (as always) greeted me warmly and using my last name, and so we wait for the other pax to come onboard. Beside me was an elderly couple who seems to be an important person in SIN, and there were two other crew members taking the seat.

I was seated at 1F, while the elderly couple was in 1C, and 1D.

Here you can see the seat number located on the side of the seat

The pre-departure drinks was served almost immediately and the towel (just disposable ones.. I was curious until I realized the Swine Flu Pandemic) was also served. On this flight my selection was Krug, and my very first.. I must say, it's different..

A glass of Krug, though I'm happy with just one during pre-flight

The plane was on schedule and as soon as everyone boarded, we took off (and also on time as usual). Of course, let's talk about the seats..

SQ's New F
Width: 35 in
Length: 71 in
Flat Bed: Yes

Seating Comfort Rating: 7
Sleeping Comfort Rating: 9
Seat Functions Rating: 6
Spaciousness Rating: 10
Privacy Rating: 8
AVOD Rating: 10

Overall Rating: 8.5

The seat is remarkable to say the least, although the seat itself I might add is just a glorified version of the C seat. Seating was the same while I was expecting a bit more comfort, although the width is a plus.. The length was adequate although when sleeping my feet is still not able to stretch to full length.. The bed is not as full as the ones on CX's new F cabin, and as I said, its almost the same as the C seat minus the hump.. Yet, it gave me a comfortable feeling and I slept soundly..

Seat functions are the same as the C seat, no massage functions or anything whatsoever, while the AVOD is great as usual with its many options, the 23 inch is a big plus too. However the one thing I find unusual is the lack of overhead space and is replaced by the one below the LCD screen which IMO is limiting my leg space by 30%..

For privacy, I'd say its adequate although I don't really feel being in private.. Maybe the Suites I'll give a 10, but it's adequate for my taste. And being a very large F seat, it feels spacious and nice to have that big cushion feeling after being cramped so long in C or Y. Overall, the seat is nice and big!

This is seat 1D, where an elderly gentleman sits.. I'm next to him in 1F

The 23 inch LCD in 1D

The seat itself...

The seat behind me, 2F...

The under the LCD luggage stowage area

Galley view from my seat

This is me, sitting comfortably waiting for my picture taken

On the next part, will be the entire menu and wine listings as well as some pics of the food.. It'll come very soon, I promise you!

Last edited by General_Flyer; Jul 20, 2009 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:29 am
Original Poster

In-flight Services

Pardon me for not being able to keep my promise, but here it is; one and a half months late..

The main highlight of the flight was of course the food and the wide selections of wines and spirits and other liqueurs.. I assure you it was enough to relieve me of the shock from seeing the poorly equipped SFO SKL..

Henceforth, the flight details are described above, and below are some things for the eyes to read and savor:

[Menu From The Flight]

Supper from San Francisco to Hong Kong

Appetisers

Gooseliver with sliced fennel and mesclun

Oven-bakes warm oyster with tomato salsa and coriander cheese sauce in half shell

Soups

Consomme of oxtail with barley, vegetable confetti and dry sherry

Main Courses

Grilled sirloin in red wine sauce, braised red cabbage, baby carrot, kenyan bean and yukon gold-blue cheese potatoes
Exclusively created by Alfred Portale of Gotham Bar & Grill, New York

Fish Congee
Sliced fish fillet in rice porridge with Chinese cruellers

Linguine pasta tossed with chicken in tomato sauce

Prawn dumpling noodle soup
Egg noodles in rich broth garnished with prawn dumplings and leafy greens (also available for breakfast)

Desserts

Warm seasonal berries gratin

Cheeses

Cambozola, brie, boursin and smoked cheeses served with fruit paste, grapes, nuts and crackers

Fruits

Fresh fruits in season

Finale

A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas
The menu was quite impressive for someone who never once flown F before, although most of it were identical with C menus. What I chose from the menu was the Gooseliver for appetiser, and my BTC order of Lobster Thermidor.. These were accompanied by toasts of different kinds and fruits in the end. All in all, the service was excellent as one can expect from SQ.

This is the Foei Gras or Gooseliver with sliced fennel and mesclun

Some of the bread selections, there were danish, french and couple other fine pastry selections

The Lobster Thermidor.. Although I wonder why the rice isn't fully enveloped with the yellow color of the saffron, followed by a nice Sauvignon Blanc and another glass of Krug

The meal ended with some fresh fruit and the gratin (although my apologies for I forgot to take a photo of the gratin), followed by a cup of peppermint tea

A bit of a review about the food:

The pastries were delicious and a delight, and made me wonder why in C the pastries are cold.. Or is it because of the plane? This was the first time I sat in F onboard the 77W and previously I always fly in C with their A345 fleet.. I wonder...

The Lobster was excellent although the roasted tomatoes and saffron rice is tasteless.. the rice itself is a bit tough when I eat it..

But it might be just me..

For the wine and fine liquor connoisseurs, here are the list:

[Champagnes and Wines]

Champagnes

Dom Perignon 2000
Named after the monk in charge of the cellars at the Abbey of Hautvillers at the end of the 17th century who is credited for having "invented" Champagne, Cuvee Dom Perignon has an almost mystical reputation. According to the brilliant winemaker-in-chief Richard Geoffroy, quality is based on harmony, a perfect bland of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes where nothing is lost and everything comes together. The 2000 vintage shows the proof of this to perfection.

Krug Grande Cuvee
Founded in Reims in 1843, the House of Krug is now managed by the 5th and 6th generations of the Krug Family. Rigorous selection and care go into every detail of the "multi-vintage" Grande Cuvee which offers a magical combination of aromatic complexity, power and finesse with a long, lingering finish. Krug is the ultimate experience in champagne.

White Wines

Cloudy Bay Savignon Blanc 2007 Marlborough, New Zealand
Cloudy Bay is the definitive New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Since its first vintage in 1986, Cloudy Bay has excited wine drinkers the world over with its racy freshness and zingy flavours. Made by winemaker Kevin Judd, this wine well deserves its cult status. Sauvignon Blanc is New Zealand's most successful and distinctive wine style and has almost single-handedly established "the land of the long white could" on the international wine stage.

Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay 2005 Russian River, California
Founded as a vineyard company in 1973, Sonoma Cutrer was one of the first wineries in California to seach out key vineyard sites along the Sonoma Coast. From the beginning, the winery has focused exclusively on chardonnay. The Sonoma Cutrer style -very much in evidence in this wine- is elegant and rich at the same time. Sonoma Cutrer's "Russian River Ranches" chardonnays have opulent pear and vanilla flavours, framed by a touch of minerality. As such, they are among the most popular of the top chardonnays in California.

OR

Clos Du Bois Calcaire Chardonnay 2006 Russian River Valley
Cooled by Pacific fog, the Russian River Valley extended growing season makes it one of the world's ideal terroirs for nurturing extraordinary Chardonnay. The 2006 vintage experienced the longes growing season of the decade, allowing the development of exceptional fruit character and flavours. Well-endowed with ripe fruit but still a bit coarse. Aromas of light toasty, buttery oak surrounded by green apple and pear flavours. Will become complex on the finish.

Red Wines

Chateau Leoville-Poyferre 2001 Saint-Julien
This spendid 80 hectare estate, named a 2nd Growth in the famous 1855 Classification, has been owned by the Cuvelier family snce 1920. Didier Cuvelier had raised quality to the highest levels, producing a superb expression of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes planted on some of the finest soils of the Haut-Medoc. Deep in colour, it is rich and in plumy black fruits, with opulence and complexity on the palate and a classically firm finish. The vintage 2001 was rated by many critics as equal to the more famous 2000 in quality and is now beginning to show its true promise.

Dry Creek Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 Dry Creek Valley, California
Established in 1972, Dry Creek Vineyards in the pastoral, sun-drenched Dry Creek Vallet was the first post-Prohibition winery in this corner of northern Sonoma County. As such, Dry Creek Vineyards led the revival of what is today one of the most respected appelations within the country. Red wines from this small warm region possess concentrated fruit flavours and powerful structures. Dry Creek Vineyards' 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, for example, has bold aromas and flavours of cassis, spice, cedar, vanilla, and espresso. It is broad and sturdy on the palate, making it for a satisfying, mouthfilling cabernet.

Port

Dow's 20 Year Old Tawny Port, Portugal
Dow possess some of the finest vineyards in the upper Douro and is one of the oldest names in the history of Port, dating back to 1798. The beautifully balanced Tawny Port is carefully matured over 20 years in wooden barrels known as "pipes" before being bottled. Light tawny in colour, showing mature raisiny fruit aromas with hints of honey. It is rich and nutty on the palate, with a wonderful balance, a clean crisp finish and a soft lingering aftertaste.

[Cocktails]

Mix Of The Month

Tropical Fizz
An invigorating concoction of pineapple juice and bitter lemon

Singapore Airlines' Unique Creations

Silver Kris Sling
One of our special touches made with gin, Cointreau and orange & pineappple juice, topped with champagne

Sunrise Breezer
A refreshing blend of sake and bitter lemon

Kris in Love
A delightful concoction of white wine stirred with 7-Up

Rumba
An exotic thirst quencher of rum mixed with pineapple juice and 7-Up

Sky High
An invigorating recipe featuring vodka, Cointreau, lemon, topped with 7-Up

Screwdriver
A classic concoction of vodka and orange juice

Apple Bliss (Non-Alcoholic)
A tantalizing refreshment of apple juice and bitter lemon mixed with 7-Up

Awaiting for the Golden Dawn (Non-Alcoholic)
A healthy, refreshing mix of pineapple, tomato & orange juice

Golden Spice (Non-Alcoholic)
A refreshing, zesty mix with lime cordial, given a spicy relish through equal parts of pineapple juice and ginger ale

All-Time Favourites

Singapore Sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, Dom Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime & pineapple juice

Solitaire Dreams
A cool concoction of rum, pineapple juice, Sling mix with ginger ale

Fruit Spritzer (Non-Alcoholic)
A simple yet delighfully refreshing mix of apple juice and 7-Up

Citrus Royale (Non-Alcoholic)
A thirst quencher made from orange juice and pineapple juices mixed with lime cordial and 7-Up

Appetising Aperitifs

Campari

Dry Vermouth

[Spirits]

Spirits

Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky
A time-honoured distillation process and the traditional skills of master craftsmen create a satisfyingly complex single malt characterised by a full-bodied flavour with hints of dried fruit and spice

Cognac XO - Hennesy

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

Liqueurs

Cointreau

Baileys Original Irish Cream

Choya Umeshu
A traditional Japanese fruit liqueur enjoyed straight or on the rocks

Beer

Tiger

Miller Regular
For those not interested in fine liqueours nor spirits, wines and champagnes; here are a few selections:

[Beverages]

Gourmet Coffees

Brazil Santos Bourbon
Coffee connoisseurs are sure to appreciate this smooth nutty coffee - the pick of the Brazillian crop

Colombian Supremo
Good, all-rounded coffee with light body, balanced acidity and a smooth, rounded flavour that leaves a clean aftertaste

Jamaican Blue Mountain
Often called the champagne of coffee, this full bodied classic is rich in aroma and flavour, yet perfectly balanced

Kenyan AA Kilimanjaro
It takes that magical combination of temperate climate and volcanic soil to produce this medium bodied coffee with a sharp, intense flavour and rich aftertaste

Tea Selection

Pure Ceylon Tea
A favourite choice for any time of the day or night

Earl Grey
Delicately fragrant, a traditional English favourite

Darjeeling
One of the world's finest blends from the Himalayan foothills

Camomile
A blanced blend of camomile and herbs without caffeine

Decaffeinated Tea
A full-flavoured alternative without caffeine

Fruit Tea
A refreshing tea with the subtle taste of peach

Japanese Green Tea
Delicate aroma with a fresh clean taste

Mint Tea
Ceylon tea delicately enhanced with the flavour of mint

Indian Masala Tea
Fragrant traditional Indian herb tea with a hint of spice

Chinese Tea Selection

Jasmine
An aromatic green tea, scented with jasmine flowers

Oolong
A smooth tea featuring a distinctive fragrance of orchids

Tie Guan Yin
A traditional strong and smooth tea, with a sweet taste of ripe guava and sandalwood

Long Jin
An aromatic green tea with a taste of dried melon seeds

Pi Lo Chun
A refreshingly smooth tea; sweet and floral with a unique green bean and chestnut fragrance

Specialty Coffees

Brewed Coffee
Our exclusive blend of coffee, freshly brewed

Cafe Royal
Lightly sweetened coffee with a touch of XO brandy

Espresso
A single shot of premium coffee, the gourmet's choice

Cappuccino
An all time favourite, espresso enriched with an abundance of foamed milk

Cafe Latte
Mild espresso topped with steamed milk and a dash of foam

Cafe au Lait
A double espresson topped with steamed milk

Decaffeinated Coffee
A full flavoured alternative without caffeine

Mocha
A delicious combination of coffee, milk, and chocolate

Other Beverages

Chocolate
An ideal treat of smooth rich cocoa and milk

Ovaltine
A nutritious chocolate malt drink

Milo
A nutritious drink for that extra energy

Soya Bean Milk
An excellent drink of high quality proteins, available sweetened or unsweetened

[Cool Refreshments]

Mineral Water

Sparkling

Still

Fruit Juices

Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Cranberry

Soft Drinks

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light

Ginger Ale

7-Up

Milk

Full Cream

Low Fat
I felt compelled to write all of this as a point of reference in future writings. I hope this would help at least someone to experience the full fledge of SQ's Premium services..

Next to come.. SQ's F bed in full swing and why I have critics on SQ's Flight Attendants. Do Enjoy!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:01 am

Great TR. Oh that food! Sounds & looks delicious. I am impressed with the cocktail list from the menu. How I'd love to sit there and work my way down that list.

Great pics and I enjoyed seeing it through your eyes.

Diva
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:51 pm

Well written report so far............Thanks!
Will keep reading......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.