Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Saying Goodbye to a friend - Travelling for the wrong reasons (LHR-PHL with UA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saying Goodbye to a friend - Travelling for the wrong reasons (LHR-PHL with UA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
entertaining report! Sorry to see you had to come to my great state of New Jersey for the wrong reason. And I'm flying the exact route (LHR-ORD-PHL) on the later 12:20 pm flight in 4 days. It will be nice to go home after 3 months in London. Great job.

I know exactly where you stayed too, I've eaten at that bob evans a ton of times. Right off exit 4 on the turnpike by the mt.laurel greyhound bus stop.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Great report again Kevin.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Great report! Thanks for sharing.

UA's food in Y leaves much to be desired. Your meals, however, seemed particularly bad.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by NoY
Entertaining trip reports as usual - thanks for posting ^

Crikey, that UA catering looks rank, I have to say! I would defo consider eating at the airport (no, not in the RCC )

Hope CO will turn out to be a solid addition to *A - have flown them in BusinessFirst (a few years back) but not in Y - so cannot comment there.
CO Presidents Clubs are (were) generally very nice, (usually) with ok staff but catering was always weak, with just variations of bagels, packaged muffins, apples, packaged cheese etc....no pathetic drinks vouchers, just a free bar ^ Looking forward to trying CO again.
Thanks NoY. Like I said... if I knew how bad it was going to be, Five Guys at IAD would had been utilised!

And even then, the CO lounges still sound better than the incomparable RCC at ORD...

Originally Posted by Moomba
It is shame you had to write this report Kevincm but I am glad you did. It was an enjoyable read as usual.

I can wait until I next fly UA in whY as the catering looks so special.

What have you got against Yoghurt?
Thanks Moomba. Oh yes... it's special indeed on UA (in Y class). So special, I'm looking forward to it again in October and not looking at going via FRA on SQ

Now onto the subject of yoghurt... I'm confused to people who like to consume a dairy product based on bacterial fermentation of milk. Pretty much explains why I don't do cheese too much either

Originally Posted by mjgodden
Sorry that you had occasion to travel, but thanks for the trip report.
Thanks mjgodden

I've seen this happen fairly often.. they rarely get past more than a few rows of E+ before they run out, but it's a nice gesture.
Ahh. I was in the last row of E+ and thats where the purser turned back. Perfectly positioned. But I agree it's a nice gesture and gives a bit more of the product to share.

UA Y class breakfast, when served as a hot meal (as opposed to the Danish & Yog) is, IMHO, the worst meal that they offer on any flight. Just bleugh.

On the other hand, I love the pretzel bread roll that they serve as a pre-arrival snack. Very nice.
My biggest beef of the breakfast was the bacon alas. The Waffle was actually rather good for a Y class breakfast (and certainly better than the non offensive chicken sausage special I had last time). As someone who can make a decent bacon roll (and even the *A lounge can make them too... well... inflight catering has a lot to answer for...

Originally Posted by PHLstudent
entertaining report! Sorry to see you had to come to my great state of New Jersey for the wrong reason. And I'm flying the exact route (LHR-ORD-PHL) on the later 12:20 pm flight in 4 days. It will be nice to go home after 3 months in London. Great job.

I know exactly where you stayed too, I've eaten at that bob evans a ton of times. Right off exit 4 on the turnpike by the mt.laurel greyhound bus stop.
Ahh PHLstudent. I've been found out Although by the end of that week, I had made it from one end of that Bob Evans to the other. It's not bad food...

Thankfully Weagmanns in Centerton wasn't a bad thing for a variation in food

I would had preferred the PHL-ORD-LHR back - for the miles - but also for a slightly longer connection times you need to connect at ORD. IAD was comparatively tight for my liking - that and the luggage loss issue was a joke really...

Originally Posted by bschaff1
Great report again Kevin.
Glad you enjoyed bschaff1. One day I promise I'll fly other airlines than UA and US

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Great report! Thanks for sharing.

UA's food in Y leaves much to be desired. Your meals, however, seemed particularly bad.
Thanks MatthewLAX. Looking back now (with a few days behind me), I've got to admit, this wasn't UA's finest hour with food. Certainly this could had been a lot lot better... and the fact that the dinners when costed out weren't that expensive in real terms (I'm estimating no more than $3 was spent on raw materials), there is some issues going to turn up soon.

At least UA didn't try and charge for the meal. One little thing...
Old Jun 14, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Kevin - Great report, though you really should give yogurt (when will the English learn to write English? :-P) another try. The bacteria is the same type that naturally occurs in your body and allows you to, you know, function. That's why the stuff is good for you. That said, the sugar content of the crap pretty much any airline will give you kind of negates the benefits.

On another subject, why not switch over to Mileage Plus. You would still get full *Gold benefits and would not have to spend money UGing to E+
Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:40 pm

Great report, kevincm and sorry to hear about your friend.

Perhaps you could take a look at my freshly uploaded NH F report and we can compare notes on the quality of catering In all seriousness, I know at least two dogs that will refuse to eat what UA attempted to serve up on those flights...

PS. Loving your ghetto IFE as always!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by N1120A
Kevin - Great report, though you really should give yogurt (when will the English learn to write English? :-P) another try. The bacteria is the same type that naturally occurs in your body and allows you to, you know, function. That's why the stuff is good for you. That said, the sugar content of the crap pretty much any airline will give you kind of negates the benefits.

On another subject, why not switch over to Mileage Plus. You would still get full *Gold benefits and would not have to spend money UGing to E+

Apart from the possibility of better redemptions (which I will get round to eventually) - at the moment - the race for re-qualification is still in progress for 2010/11. To be honest, I'm looking towards other *A carriers if Diamond Club gets transformed into Miles and More - but for now - I'll target my re-qualification (38k vs 50k - it's a big difference!). That and I don't have to pay for lounges in the USA makes a small (if considerable) difference.

And here's a little believe it or not - I can do fine without E+ amazingly (as my trips on US prove). It isn't the most essential bit of travel. For me - more important is that I have a seat of my choice - hence the problem with booking a flight two weeks out with the seat maps zero'd out - I couldn't locate a seat that I liked or wanted - so to get a reasonable shot of a window seat - I paid up.

Originally Posted by stargold
Great report, kevincm and sorry to hear about your friend.

Perhaps you could take a look at my freshly uploaded NH F report and we can compare notes on the quality of catering In all seriousness, I know at least two dogs that will refuse to eat what UA attempted to serve up on those flights...
Ah.. you got round to publishing it then? I'd certainly compare notes - for starter your food looked edible, where as mine looked liked someone really wanted me to use the sick bags for the real reason ...

It was not UA's finest hour... by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally Posted by stargold
PS. Loving your ghetto IFE as always!
[/QUOTE]
Thanks - and there's a food critique on my new blog - http://www.gettoife.com/2009/06/sund...rt-please.html

Now if some companies would get a move on with food...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.