Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

*A F Sampler: NH,UA,OZ,TG,LH Int'l F in One Award & My Favorite Resort Ever!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A F Sampler: NH,UA,OZ,TG,LH Int'l F in One Award & My Favorite Resort Ever!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Pretty friggin sweet!

This is an amazing trip report! Thank you!
Old May 17, 2009, 11:19 pm

Nice report! The look of the Meridien Chiang Rai reminds me a lot of the Sofitel Phokeethra Resort in Krabi. Lot of good memories!
Old May 18, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: *G
fantastic so far
Old May 18, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k
A good read!
Old May 19, 2009, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Thanks for the kudos, happy to answer any questions, and will return to additional pieces of the trip report as soon as I can.

Next up will be touring the Golden Triangle... visiting Chinese villages founded by Kuomintang refugees, tea tasting up in Doi Mae Salong, visiting the Hall of Opium, crossing by boat into Burmese waters and then briefly into Laos... then our cooking class at Le Meridien Chiang Rai.

Following all of that will be returning to Bangkok, a massive gleff slipup on our BKK overnight... TG F departure to HKG and then OZ to ICN, W Seoul, and then the return home in OZ F plus leave it to United to screw up our eventual arrival in DC...
Old May 19, 2009, 11:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
And to think you were having second thoughts based on the lack of suites or rooms to be upgraded into. Great report! Can't wait for the rest of your trip from around Chiang Rai.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Great report, Gary! Looks like I missed you by a day, we checked out on Songkran day. The hotel employees put on a beautiful traditional ceremony - it was one of the highlights of our trip.

I agree - the hotel is wonderful, the GM (Anne) was very accomodating and a pleasure to deal with. I hope all the best for this hotel!

Bostonbali
Old May 19, 2009, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
great trip report, gleff! thanks for sharing
Old May 21, 2009, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Will be back to the trip report shortly.

In the meantime, I emailed the LM Chiang Rai GM sharing my comments, mostly positive but some constructive, and she replied promptly. She promised to address my concerns about not enough bath towels and frequency with which bath amenities are replenished, correct the website error about DVD players being in all the rooms, and have better communication in the future if the Songkran delivery issue they had repeats itself and limits some food options. I much appreciated her reply.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by gleff

The breakfast buffet even pays attention to the little things (not just the delicious juices above!) like how honey is provided, straight out of a honeycomb:

This is very rare even at a 5 star hotel, although I had seen this honeycomb in the breakfest buffet in Langham Place in Hong Kong.

Btw, you can actually chew thru the honeycomb, rather than only get the honey out of it. This is an Australia thing, they invented it and actually sell honeycomb fill with honey in smaller pieces, it is quite popular in asia, particular in Hong Kong and Japan. They are quite expensive even in small boxes. The reasoning of chewing thru the honey with the honeycomb is because it is pure, it is supposed to prevent catching a cold, and any mouth diseases like sore throat.
Old May 22, 2009, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
This is very rare even at a 5 star hotel, although I had seen this honeycomb in the breakfest buffet in Langham Place in Hong Kong.

Btw, you can actually chew thru the honeycomb, rather than only get the honey out of it. This is an Australia thing, they invented it and actually sell honeycomb fill with honey in smaller pieces, it is quite popular in asia, particular in Hong Kong and Japan. They are quite expensive even in small boxes. The reasoning of chewing thru the honey with the honeycomb is because it is pure, it is supposed to prevent catching a cold, and any mouth diseases like sore throat.
When you say chew, do you chew it up and then dispose of it or do you eat the beeswax?
Old May 22, 2009, 1:32 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Originally Posted by yosithezet
When you say chew, do you chew it up and then dispose of it or do you eat the beeswax?
I chew and dispose.....but I am not Asian so they may do it differently.
Old May 22, 2009, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Touring the Golden Triangle

I pinged a few tour providers in the Chiang Rai area and they were all quoting prices close to what the Le Meridien was asking for the tours arranged through the hotel. I decided to go with the hotel booking for convenience (of course they are contracting with a local tour operator, but do handle everything and ensure the guide and driver are there for us on time, provide their waters and cold cloths, etc)..

I did feel a little bit trite in requesting their “tour #7” Doi Mae Salong / Golden Triangle full day tour. But after emailing the hotel and having them send me a list of the tours they offer (a one-page .pdf sheet of each, which is also duplicated in a book in the room) I decided that it actually mirrored what we were looking for, except that they usually begin at 8am and I preferred 9, thinking that would be perfect for a leisurely breakfast before being on our way.

We drove up to three Chinese villages, they’re relatively remote and with varying degrees of (quite modest) prosperity. The very North of Thailand’s Chinese population ultimately settled in the area as refugees from Mao. They’ve historically been quite removed from Thai society, though there are development efforts to incorporate them. This includes building roads connecting the villages to main arteries, though the roads aren’t of especially high quality and one in particular felt quite treacherous on the side of a mountain with plenty of bumps and no guard rails

We wandered the villages as our guide explained their history, in each place most of the people went about their business ignoring us but there were a couple of folks selling tourist items of little interest to us. In all cases we were approached by small children selling crafts, and I’m always a bit torn as to how to react. On the one hand it certainly tugs at the heartstrings, but on the other hand these are items I have no interest in. If I buy them, I encourage more of these crafts that I’m uninterested in and will be swarmed by more of these kids. Fortunately (for me and for them) we were preceded by a group tour, so they were the richer target.

Village life is a stark contrast to modern city life in Thailand, and Chiang Rai generally is a contrast to the touristy beach towns let alone Bangkok. While there are pockets of prosperity, one understands the uneven distribution of development.

In one of the Chinese villages I spotted a resident’s shack that was stamped as having come from USAID. It announced that it was a gift from the American people. In English. Somehow the American aid agency expected local villagers to appreciate the dilapidated shack as a result of this message, when many speak Chinese and not Thai… let alone English.

Following the villages it was up Doi Mae Salong, we stopped at a tea shop and tasted locally grown teas much of which are exported to China. It’s supposed to be representative of the crop substitution efforts, with government subsidies attempting to push out heroine cultivation.

A very touristy Chinese restaurant for lunch (it wasn’t bad by any means, but was hardly frequented by the locals)

We visited the Hall of Opium (it’s frequently mentioned as an attraction, I wasn’t all that impressed).

But the Golden Triangle was worth seeing, if only for a short while. It’s just beautiful and tranquil, seen from afar and on high on the Thai side.

Then we took a boat, crossing into the Myanmar side, and back out – we didn’t get off there. And we briefly stopped on a Laotian island which features all sorts of shops selling tax-free items like liquor. Very touristy, presumably, though we were the only non-Asians there.

Old May 22, 2009, 8:46 am

Are you sure the USAID stamp was on the hut or perhaps it was a crate that had been shipped with some sort of aid and the wood later used for the hut.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:00 am

What an interesting trip. You certainly do it justice. Thanks so much...I have enjoyed every word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.