Wiki Posts
Search

Lightning Strike on UA 593 -- United handled well

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
Lightning Strike on UA 593 -- United handled well

My travels on Tuesday, April 21, were marked by a situation that was very unusual for even a traveler of 4 million+ miles.

United 593 departed BWI 30 minutes late on the evening of April 21 after strong winds and thunderstorm activity in the area closed the airport temporarily. About ten minutes into the flight bound for Denver, we were struck on the nose by lightning. The very loud sound and flash of bright light were frightening -- and there were more than a few passenger screams. My first thought was that there had been an explosion.

The plane was also in significant turbulence at the time, so it was not easy to know whether there were any serious problems. I credit the flight purser with getting on the intercom promptly and in a very comforting tone, told us that it had been a lightening strike -- one of only three she had ever experienced in her career. She had a very calming effect on the passengers, assuring us that we would hear from the captain soon.

And we did. The captain, too, was calm and reassuring, telling us that the plane was stable but that as a precaution, we would be landing at Dulles for a maintenance check. He told us that we could listen in to Channel 9 as he talked to the flight controllers for updates.

And I did. A bit disconcerting was what we did hear -- that Dulles was declaring this an emergency -- at which time the captain quickly shifted Channel 9 to music. We landed to quite a display of fire trucks and emergency vehicles and then stopped on the tarmac for a visual inspection of the plane by emergency personnel. Again, the purser was on the PA system, joined periodically by the first officer, to keep us apprized on developments.

When we were cleared to a gate, the purser worked with the Dulles CSAs to arrange next steps, and to keep the process orderly. It was soon clear that the plane we had been on could not be used for the continuation of the flight, so we disembarked and worked with agents at the gate and a nearby Customer Service Center.

I was also impressed with the behind the scenes work. United found a replacement plane and we were led to a new gate and kept informed during the hour+ wait for reboarding. Once back onboard, United announced it was providing snack boxes to all -- as well as a free drink. I was riding up front, and the food and service -- led by the same purser on board the original plane -- was top notch -- unaffected by all of the activity.

And by the time I checked into my hotel in Denver -- weary and four hours delayed -- there was a special message from United apologizing for the delay, reexplaining the problem and offering several appropriate options to express regrets for the experience.

Certainly wish this had not occurred -- but United earned a solid A from me for a team effort in responding to a serious and unsettling event. Hope others find such empathetic treatment when a serious problem arises.

Recreationguru
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Nice to read some positive feedback about UA.
The crew derserve a special thank you.
Well done.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like UA handled this situation well. ^

Too bad the Captain turned off Channel 9, though.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice report.

Good to see the crew handled the situation so well. It shows all that training really does pay off and they are there primarily for your safety. ^
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by recreationguru

And we did. The captain, too, was calm and reassuring, telling us that the plane was stable but that as a precaution, we would be landing at Dulles for a maintenance check. He told us that we could listen in to Channel 9 as he talked to the flight controllers for updates.

And I did. A bit disconcerting was what we did hear -- that Dulles was declaring this an emergency -- at which time the captain quickly shifted Channel 9 to music.
Channel 9 - love it ^ but I could sympathise when the lightning strike was declared as an emergency.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:54 pm
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
Sounds like a good Job. But I can understand why they Switched off Channel 9. Don't want to panic people up the back.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:00 am

Programs: DL, AA, LH
well done job UAL!!!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
we were hit by lightning flying out of PHX on America West years ago and it was handled poorly, nice job UA!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by recreationguru
there was a special message from United apologizing for the delay, reexplaining the problem and offering several appropriate options to express regrets for the experience.
Do tell.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: *Gold, Amex Plat
Wow, very appropriate and impressive reaction behalf of the entire crew and UA as a whole.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
It’s great to hear when a crew really comes through in a tense situation.
Very nice job by United. ^
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Wow, handled well. I hope I never have to go thru that. Nice to know most were calm.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:15 pm

I think the captain turning off channel 9 after mentioning that we could listen would have made me more nervous
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:29 am

I was also on UA 593 on 4/21/2009 and have the same sentiments as you. Megan was the name of the Purser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.