Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Our weekend MR to DUB

Our weekend MR to DUB

Old Apr 27, 09, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Our weekend MR to DUB

This year my wife and I decided to go for EXP, thanks to DBEQM we will make it. We've been doing several transatlantic MR to Europe, here is my report of our latest one to DUB.
My wife picks me up from work at 5pm, and we head to ORD. We park, check in and get to the AC by 5:45pm. We enjoy our first round of drink chits while I look around to see if there any FT tags in the area, there were none. At 7pm we head towards K19, only to find that AA092 was delayed due to mechanical reasons. 45 minutes we are up and away. Unfortunately, we had already seen the movie selection, but we feel asleep promptly. Arrived DUB at 9am, went throught custom, and proceeded to zone 2 to get the shuttle to Carlton Hotel. 10 minutes wait and the shuttle arrives, we were the only ones. 5 minutes latter we are checking in, luckily they had a room available. Rm 138 here we go, not bad hotel for 65EUR, 2 single beds. Quick shower and change of cloth and we are heading outside to catch the bus to City Centre. 2.2eur bus pass, and sometime latter we get off on O'Conell strett, right before the bridge and by the Spire. It was raining, we head towards the Burger King, or was it Mcdonalds for shelter and a quick bathroom stop. I notice a mens clothing store on the oposite side, we buy an umbrella and walked south towards Trinity College and House of Lords. Then we headed west towards Dublin Castle, headed north towards Temple Bar and walked northest along Temple, it stopped raining and by now we are hungry and decide to eat Persian food at Zaytoon, great food, the sauce was excellent, lunch or breakfast was great. Kept walking along Temple and stumbled upon their open food market, next time I will eat here though. We stopped at the Aul Dubliner and had our first round of Guinness, actually, we had 3. Did a couple of ohter pub cralws, Fitzgerald, and I forgot the other one. Bought some shirts and souvenirs in this area, big mistake, they were cheaper on another location not by Temple, and they did not offered me the VAT rebate forms, oh well, rookie mistake. We headed north, towards the southbank of Liffey river and this is where we came upon the Guinness store and other stores that had a better and cheaper selection of souvenirs, and they gave me the VAT rebate forms without any problems. Once by the river, we walked west bound. This area was a bit boring, not many pubs so we decided to go back again to Temple and head west bound there. Stopped at the Czech Inn, and had a pitcher of Staropramen and watched the Hoth/Liverpool game. A couple of English fellows from Newcastle joined us and we exchanged names. They were in for the weekend also on a bachelor party, they flew Ryan Air for 68EUR roundtrip. We started our return, walked passed the Viking Museum and headed towards Four Court, from there we headed east towards O'Connell St. Where to eat, we opted on Madigans on Abbey St. My wife had the half roasted chicken and I had the chicken breast wrapped in bacon. Excellent, also Guinness again. Bus 41c and we are back at the hotel by 10:30pm. Next day we are up and at it, by 8am, took the shuttle only to find out AA093 was delayed 3.5 hrs. We are given 20EUR meal voucher. We head towards Aer Lingus loungue in B terminal (This is why I bought the AC memebrship), more Guinness, some snacks, read the paper and watched Friends. Posted my photos on my facebook acct. We see the plane arrive around 1240pm, by 1:20 we head towards b27, on the way there I bought 4 sandwich and waited for boarding. 2pm we leave towards ORD, arrive at 4:30pm, clear immigration, and back home by 6pm.

Sorry for long post, just hoping to provide helpt and guidance to others that might do the same.
Old Apr 27, 09, 9:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
One word: paragraphs.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 09, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Good trip report.

But I agree with brp. Paragraphs are a delightful thing for those of us with tired eyes.
Old Apr 27, 09, 10:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Pretty cool for a weekend trip! I hope to do some of these across the Atlantic out of JFK when my fiance and I are finally in the same city again.
Old Apr 27, 09, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by brp View Post
One word: paragraphs.

Cheers.
One hopes that you never have to review a certain J. Joyce.
Old Apr 27, 09, 11:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Believe this trip report will better serve the participants of FlyerTalk in the Trip Reports Forum.

/AAdvantage Moderator
Old Apr 27, 09, 11:18 pm

Looks like you had fun. Post some pics if you can?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: