Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Dulles to Moscow on UA – the ULTIMATE double EQM run – right now anyway!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dulles to Moscow on UA – the ULTIMATE double EQM run – right now anyway!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:43 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

How about LAX-MEL, still charging?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
C a u t i o n

Originally Posted by noirpepper
thanks oz! I am booked for the MR next week and sealing in 1K for the year. Has anyone done the MR w/o the visa w/ US passport yet?

Check out post 116 on this thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ible-do-6.html

A poster reports being denied boarding in Boston.

You can be right, but it may not help you.

dh
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Check out post 116 on this thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ible-do-6.html

A poster reports being denied boarding in Boston.

You can be right, but it may not help you.

dh
Dan that brand new member apparently simply did not READ and ABSORB the clear info offered by others who know the rules. Anyone who fails to do that in any walk of life will have some issues.

Durhhh ... all UA needed to do was issue the BP for DME-IAD in BOS or IAD as I have urged all folks here to ensure they have secured and in their hand BEFORE they step onto the UA 767 in IAD, and there is then no issue whatever in DME if you have no checked bags.

Clearly you do not need to "check-in" at DME if you already have your BP ex USA for DME-IAD.

Of course it would helped him having print outs which he admits he did not bother doing .. they ARE the rules that UNITED and the RUSSIANS use - I've posted them here on FT many times, and suggested EVERYONE doing same day turn prints out both the English AND the Russian versions and take them along. Absolute common sense.

It is the same reason 100s of FT'ers have the United RULES for RCC admittance printed out, and carried with them - we know more about the actual rules, than most gate Matrons, who delight in inventing their own personal versions.

Actually, I was kind of hoping I'd have an issue getting boarded ex the USA.

I had planned to politely say "thank you - what a shame - Oh Well - can you please note your decision in the comments field of my PNR please" if that occurred, and walk away with a wide smile when it was done.

THEN I'd later write a note to the 1K line, insisting they credit the miles, and the double EQM, and the 100% bonus, and the 3000 Russia bonus, just as if I'd taken the flight.

Their agent would be WRONG to have refused boarding, and WHQ would see that, but rather than argue at the podium, (and get nowhere) I'd have been delighted to have an unexpected day of sightseeing in IAD.

i.e. as they do all day long for involuntary re-routes on non UA metal. You get all miles and bonuses as IF you took those flights. If UA cancels a direct flight to Paris or AMS and puts you on Air France or AA or BA etc via a ticket endorsement, you get ALL the UA miles as if you flew it, AND all the miles from the other carrier too, if you are savvy enough to claim them.

UA would under these circumstances BOS-DME certainly add all the miles etc with no issue if asked the right way.

I'd not have pushed for a refund. All it means was 24 hours less of sitting in planes in coach. UA may also OFFER one, or a voucher for the pro-rata, but I for one would not push my luck.

Anyway why he did not simply fly the BOS-IAD section of his ticket, and talk to the fluent RUSSIAN UA speaking/reading agent on the DME gate there - paid to be there for exactly this kind of issue, sure beats me.

I can imagine at Fargo ND, or St George UT etc, the agents are not up to speed on the Russia flight and Visa details, but the agents at IAD podium are as they check these flights in each day. @:-)

There is in fact a DOUBLE CHECK of your Visa at BP reader as well as at podium, so these girls know EXACTLY what the rules are.

I took DAYS researching this, even posting on Russian Travel boards, and it was near impossible to get straight answers, so the only way to be sure was to do it first hand and report back.

noirpepper is largely doing this run AFAIK, after having lunch and dinner with me last week in IAD and getting the inside poop (and the Russian chocolates as proof!) , and I think he knows it will be fine if he adheres to my primer notes.

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; Apr 11, 2009 at 9:31 pm
Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glen,

I agree with you. Sadly, not all posters print out the rules. And as we both know, not all UA employess know the rules. That's why we're around.

I wonder what would have happened if he presented the rules to UA in BOS? I'm hoping the folks at Kennedy know better.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: * A
Hi Glen and dhammer53 thanks for the notes. I got both russian version and english version printed out with me. I also have the timatic printout from the day I bought my ticket and I will print another one out before checking-in.

Glen, thanks for pushing me w/ the guilt trip, I have no non-flying weekends till end of June 19, 2009. I may even push it to 150k this year. I am yet to book my second round of DME run. It indeed is the Ultimate run for the money!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Just got back from DME. As ozstamps said a visa is not necessary for a same day turn around. I also made sure that I had my return boarding pass before departure.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store

Just got back from DME.

As ozstamps said a visa is not necessary for a same day turn around.

I also made sure that I had my return boarding pass before departure.
Great to hear .. and thanks for the email.

If I say so myself, that clear precaution of ensuring you get the DME-IAD BP printed before you leave the USA is the magic ingredient in the primer above, as I really could not see HOW one could otherwise get one in DME without crossing immigration to get to UA check in. And you can't do that with no Visa.

Sure the UA departure lounge in DME can run one off for you, but FIRST you need to get there, past the non-smiling security screeners and the official looking non-smiling guy at the desk, and having a BP is your path past them.

How was row #20 for you?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back from DME. As ozstamps said a visa is not necessary for a same day turn around. I also made sure that I had my return boarding pass before departure.
Did you check in at ORD, or another station? Can you tell us what happened when you presented your passport and other info to the agent.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ozstamps
How was row #20 for you?
Middle was taken on the outbound and everybody moved to empty middles before I moved. I made sure that I had an empty middle on the return. No IFE either directions, so 2 sky kits. Also you don't want the Hindu meal out of Moscow - another sky kit.

PS: FA Baron sends his regards. He considers you one of the nicest passengers he has ever had. ^
Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PS: FA Baron sends his regards. He considers you one of the nicest passengers he has ever had. ^
Baron (the guy with the teeth braces) and his 2 colleagues were GEMS on the DME-IAD. United should really strive for FAs like that.

I sent a personal letter to Glenn Tilton with their staff numbers and names, and while it will never get near his desk, it will land on someone's desk pretty high up, and they will get personal 'thank you's' from WHQ.

Was his buddy James also on the same crew? They are good friends and often fly together. Frank gave me a signed copy of his superb book:

A really great 300 page read - I mean it:

http://www.impactpublications.com/in...OD&ProdID=8654

His 3rd book along similar lines. Fully OK'd by UA brass to be published under his real name, as UA are never mentioned by name. His wife is a UA Pilot.

Compared to the 70 year old Dracula's Mother and her twin sisters I usually get on the USA-SYD run (and did for sure get on my return LAX-SYD upstairs) these guys really do UA proud.

Glen
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Dear all,

I am contemplating on doing a similar MR like ozstamps did, out of JFK. Has anyone here flown on this route originating from JFK? I am not sure how JFK agents are trained in handling visa requirements.

The thing is, I am not a US citizen. I am holding a passport from a foreign country, and I am also holding a US visa that supposedly allows be to get back in to the United States. Would this be a problem in doing a DME MR?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure the UA departure lounge in DME can run one off for you,
Lounge folks (at least LH) can not print UA boarding passes.
When my flight was cancelled and I rebooked with 1K desk I was unable to have the new BP printed anywhere inside security - I had to wait in line to cancel my exit stamp, go back to check in area and do everything all over again.

I have no idea how a visa-less immediate turnaround would be handled in that situation as there would be no exit stamp to begin with. I don't know if UA would be risking a fine by the russians in this scenario.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by futureacnp

The thing is, I am not a US citizen. I am holding a passport from a foreign country, and I am also holding a US visa that supposedly allows be to get back in to the United States. Would this be a problem in doing a DME MR?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Last time I checked an Australian passport was somewhat different to a USA one. @:-)
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"Sure the UA departure lounge in DME can run one off for you"

Originally Posted by azepine00

Lounge folks (at least LH) can not print UA boarding passes.
They are not the "UA Departure Lounge" I referred to - LH Lounge is on another floor.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Last time I checked an Australian passport was somewhat different to a USA one. @:-)
Did the UA check-in agent ever asked you about the visa situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.