Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

JAL skysleeper (older) in F with PICS

Old Mar 29, 09, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

This is the cabin with the older "skysleeper" seats that are set 2 by 2. These are of course different from the "skysleeper solo" seats on the upgraded 747s from several years ago.

I have to say straight away that JAL is not really competitive with CX on this route, in seats or meals.
CX has the updated F product and their Japanese "kaiseki" is much better than that offered on JAL, both in presentation and quality. I don't really understand this, as you would assume that the Japanese airline would do better with their own cuisine? But the service was excellent throughout the flight. They even handed out amenity kits for this short 3.5 hour flight.

Last edited by Flyingfox; Dec 12, 09 at 9:22 pm
Old Mar 29, 09, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingfox View Post

This is a flight a few years ago from HKG-NRT.
I have to say straight away that JAL is not really competitive with CX on this route, in seats or meals.
CX has the updated F product and their Japanese "kaiseki" is much better than that offered on JAL, both in presentation and quality. I don't really understand this, as you would assume that the Japanese airline would do better with their own cuisine? But the service was excellent throughout the flight. They even handed out amenity kits for this short 3.5 hour flight.
I think despite this is an older seat, I would bet JL has better food than NH on the same route, although I shouldn't use NH to compare, as NH only has C for NRT-HKG.

The JL older seat (skysleeper) is just almost the same as the OZ F seat, or I should say one OZ 74M still have this kind of configuration (2+2) in F, except on OZ, the wall in front of you can only use as shoe storage, but on JL it seems it can store a piece of small luggage.

That is quite impresive for JL handed out amentiy kit for this short flight, is that the same one from long haul ? Does JL still have the same practice even for now ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 29, 09 at 11:23 pm
Old Mar 29, 09, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
I think despite this is an older seat, I would bet JL has better food than NH on the same route, although I shouldn't use NH to compare, as NH only has C for NRT-HKG.

The JL older seat (skysleeper) is just almost the same as the OZ F seat, or I should say one OZ 74M still have this kind of configuration (2+2) in F, except on OZ, the walk in front of you can only use as shoe storage, but on JL it seems it can store a piece of small luggage.

That is quite impresive for JL handed out amentiy kit for this short flight, is that the same one from long haul ? Does JL still have the same practice even for now ?
It was the exact same amenity kit for the long-haul (we had just done JFK-NRT and got the same one on that flight).
I'm not sure if they still do it.
Old Mar 29, 09, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingfox View Post
It was the exact same amenity kit for the long-haul (we had just done JFK-NRT and got the same one on that flight).
I'm not sure if they still do it.
I was hoping you may know about since you mentioned you go to Asian 3 times a year on either JL or CX F. I was thinking maybe I will use the small amount of miles that I had in my AA account for a JL and/or CX F intra asia flight if it does still have the amenity kit. I am just an amenity kit whore.
Old Mar 30, 09, 4:51 am

Thank you for your report. On comment.. on JAL they serve the same champagne that they werve on long haul routes, i.e. Bollinger Grande Annee 1999, while CX serves , IMHO , that inferior Classic Duetz.. This info is for you champagne drinkers out there....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: