Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y

Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y

Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
I skipped past the Gate 16 lounge, QF lounge, SQ lounge and UA lounge and made for the Thai lounge.

The shower was basic but did the job. Good food on offer and quaffable drink, albeit nothing spectacular. Decent selection of newspapers and magazines. Some games and exercise equipment. Several computers although a couple were not working. One thing I found annoying was the computer's insistence every 10 minutes or so on switching to dvorak keyboard. Easily fixed but quite disruptive to my trains of thought.

I had some drinks and caught up on a few things. At 11pm the lounge closed. At this hour the only lounge available to me that was still open was Gate 16 lounge. While I could have passed the remaining hour or so until boarding by walking aimlessly, I decided to take a look. Having never used that lounge before I was curious as to whether it was as bad as the posts on FlyerTalk suggested. The walk between lounges is reasonably long and felt good. Even my stuffy head was beginning to clear a bit.

The Gate 16 lounge is a Dragonair lounge, thus Oneworld, but like several other Hong Kong lounge is also used by various non-alliance airlines. At this hour it was fairly empty and all the food and drink had already been packed away. This was disappointing as the lounge otherwise seemed okay (certainly not flash). I sent off a couple of messages at one of the handful of computers, before heading for the gate for my flight.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 3, 2009 at 4:10 pm
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

HONG KONG to SEOUL INCHEON (HKG-ICN) on Asiana A330 747-400(combi) in business class

Boarding had already commenced when I reached the gate. There was a big line to the right for economy and no line at all on the left for business class.

When researching the trip I noticed sometimes this red-eye flight had 3 class a/c and sometimes 2 class a/c. I made sure to select a seat near the front just in case I got lucky with a 3 class a/c operating my flight (presumably with business service). This was not to be, but I did get the surprise of my first flight on a combi (combined passenger/freight on the main deck).

I was shown to my seat. Most passengers in the business class cabin in the nose were already seated and thus the overhead bins were already full. I put my carry-on in the closet. Normally I don't like doing this for the lack of access to stuff inflight, but with a short duration and my tiredness catching up on me, I was confident I wouldn't need anything out of it tonight.

On the seat was some kind of midi headphones wrapped in a bag. I was pretty tired and didn't take a good look but they appeared far smaller than the noise cancelling monster over ear variety, while at the same time a lot more substantial than the typical cheap economy headphones. There was also a pair of slippers. We were soon offered a pre-departure drink of juice, champagne or water; and handed out Korean arrival and customs cards together with a pen to fill them in.

The seat looked like one of the older style lie-flat on a slope beds. PTV in the fairly narrow armrest, IFE controller and seat buttons wedged on the inside of the other side of the seat. Pretty good for such a short flight.

Boarding was completed fairly quickly despite the flight being chockers (it had been zeroed out for weeks). I struggled to stay awake through the safety briefing. Post take-off I was woken for a hot towel and handed a menu. I prompted fell back to sleep. Unfortunately, much as I needed a good sleep on this 3 hour flight, I did not get quality sleep - being kept awake by turbulence most of the way.

I woke up to the clunk of the gear being lowered, looked out the window to see the sea of lights that is Incheon and then we were down with a thump. Even with a relatively lengthy taxi we had arrived quite early.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Asiana
Business Class menu
Hong Kong to Seoul
April 2009

Asiana Bar

Aperitifs

Campari
Medium dry sherry sandeman

Spirits

Scotch whisky Chivas Regal 18 years
Scotch whisky Ballantine's 17 years
Bourbon whiskey Jack Daniel
Vodka Smirnoff
Gin Beefeater's

Cocktails

Beers

Non-alcoholic Beverages

Coffee

RA (Rainforest Alliance certified) coffee
Decaffeinated coffee
Espresso
Cappuccino
Cafe-latte

Tea

Champagne & White Wines

Champagne Cattier Brut
Since 1763, Cattier has been devoted to the culture of vineyards. Cattier Brut has gold with amber color and aromas of flowers, nuts and some touches of citrus fruits. On the palate, the champagne shows fresh and vinous, as an aperitif but also with white meat, poultry and seafood.

Sancerre Les Grands Champs 2007
Sancerre, Loire, France is the epitome of the crispy Sauvignon Blanc. On the lightly undulating limestone hills, the grapes will enjoy a slow maturation and contribute with fresh, zesty and herbal characters. This fine cuvee is a fine ambassador for the appellation and the wine is showing a nose of fresh grass, citrus, gooseberries, and a very crispy palate, filled with green fruit, kiwi and a long crispy aftertaste; a very enjoyable and vivid wine to enjoy with spicy flavours.

HESS Moneterey Chardonnay 2007
This is a fine example of modern Californian Chardonnay where the emphasis is not oaky and roasted flavours, but purity, fruit and freshness. The nose is showing some dinstinct and tropical fruit aromas of pineapple, green apple and lemon and some discreet hints of spicy oak and vanilla. The palate is full bodied and delivers a lot of flavor; ripe fruit and a well balanced acidity. The aftertaste is very unctious and fruity with a long and fine persistence.

Red Wines

Chateau Bel-Orme Tronquoy-de-Lalande 2002
A purple colored wine with a garnet red hue. The nose is very complex and displays flavors reminiscent of sweet elderberries, spicy blackcurrant and ripe plums. In addition, the flavor is enhanced by a touch of mild spices, cedar-wood and tobacco, with slightly toasted overtones. On the palate, ripe tannins, well expressed flavors and mild spices add character and complexity to this excellent, very classic Cru Bourgeois.

Givry 1er cru, Cellier aux Moines 2004
The Cote Chalonnaise is found in the southern parts of Burgundy where the slightly warmer and drier climate can give very generous Burgundies that also have the advantage of maturing a little earlier than their northern coutnerparts. This example is Pinot Noir at its best, from the gently undulating slopes of Givry. The wine has a good ripeness yet a classical freshness. The nose is very elegant and displays aromas of red citrus, wild berries and spices. On the palate the wine is well structured with hints of red fruits, very smooth tannins and an elegant and long aftertaste.

Artesa Elements 2004
The Artesa winery is found in the cool-climate Carneros region that straddles both Sonoma and Napa Valleys, the wines are well made and mirror the Californian sun and show a fine combination of ripe fruit and serious structure. Specifically blended from many varietals, or elements, this wine is brimming with lively black cherry and black berry fruit wrapped in mocha, fudge, and some spicy undertones of vanilla and wood. The palate is rich with a plethora of dark fruit, ripe tannins and a long and fruity finish.

Dessert Wines

Blandy's 10 Years Old Malmsey Madeira
Blandy's Malmsey Madiera is the best known fortified wine of Madeira Island, Portugal. Its scent harmonizes with the flavors of chocolate, tangerine and vanilla and caresses the palate. Rich in apricot aroma, its elegant sweetness is best enjoyed with desserts or on its own after a meal.

Port Sandeman 20 Years Old Tawny Porto
Specially selected Portos are chosen for aging in wooden casks, which concentrates their fruit and flavor. It has a rich yet elegant combination flavors of dried apricots, honey, nuts, spices, vanilla - creates an endless scent of the wine that unfolds and develops smoothly in the mouth.

Cognac & Liqueurs

Camus XO
Baileys irish cream

Snack

Western

Appetizer

Smoked Chicken, Grilled Zucchini and Eggplant

Mixed Salad

Vinaigrette Walnut Dresshing

Main Course

Beef Lasagna 330kcal
Served with Tomato Sauce

or

Deep Fried Cod 530kcal
Served with Chili Plum Sauce

Accompanied by Vegetables and Steamed Rice

Assorted Cheese and Fresh Fruit

Dessert

Coconut Panna Cotta

Coffee & Tea

Korean

Pumpkin and Seabass Porridge 217kcal
A Famous Korean Healthy Porridge

Accompanied by Assorted Side Dishes

Assorted Cheese and Fresh Fruit

Dessert

Coconut Panna Cotta

Coffee & Tea

OZ 723/724
SEL/HKG/SEL
B/C
2009C1 - 20090301
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Seoul in transit

There was a big queue at international transit security, but it moved fairly quickly. Show my onward ticket and passport to get through, liquids baggy out. Soon through and up 2 levels to transfer desk and the Asiana lounge. The lounge is open but transfer desk is not yet. I show my ticket at the lounge reception and enter.

I grabbed a drink and surfed Flyer Talk while I waited for the transfer desk to open, which it did some 30 minutes later. The flight I was booked on had been zeroed out for a while and I was hoping to switch to an earlier flight. There were two earlier flights, a 2-class flight looking fairly full and a 3-class flight looking heavily oversold in economy but light in business and first class. While this may mean a chance of op-up to first, based on past experience short tag leg flights on United have very poor service so I asked for the earlier Asiana flight instead. No problem, and I also got a good seat. They were unable to check me in for my next onward flight and so I returned to the lounge.

The Asiana business class lounge is okay (I've been here before) - great shower (with The Body Shop amenities), good computers and reasonable drink selection. Not overly crowded, at least early in the morning when there are few flights. However food offering was extremely limited.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 4, 2009 at 12:01 am
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SEOUL INCHEON to TOKYO NARITA (ICN-NRT) on Asiana 777 A330-300 in business class

The flight was called in the lounge 25 minutes before departure, and with 15 minute close-off at the gate there was no time to waste. Still a bit of a queue on the left for economy, no queue on the right for business class. When I board most of the business class passengers are already settled in, load in this cabin is about 2/3. Every seat has a pair of slippers.

The seats are different to the flight up to Seoul, more of a shell seat but nowhere near as good as Qantas skybed for example. However, perfectly adequate for short flights such as this (under 2 hours).

We get a pre-departure drink - choice of juice or water, and offered a newspaper. Again not offered a magazine although I do spy some onboard.

I'm very tired. The past couple of weeks have been rough. So I struggle to stay awake for the safety briefing. One of the older crew members joshes me for this.

We depart just a few minutes late. Immediately after take-off there are a couple of sharp turns to avoid North Korean airspace then we track over northern South Korea. Once the seatbelt sign goes off the crew spring into action. There are 4 cabin crew for this small cabin and so service is fantastic. The hot towel was a bit dry for my liking though.

Menus are handed out and an initial drink. The bubbles spark me awake so I decide to have lunch after all. They tray is set, more drinks poured, and right on cue we hit some turbulence. Faced with a choice of drinking the water or bubbles before I lose most of it on the tray I opt to save the bubbles.

The food is okay. The view limited to a fairly bland cloud sheet. Drinks topped up frequently. Perhaps too frequently for I soon find myself dropping off to sleep. I awoke just before landing. One of the crew wanted to collect the menu, but allowed me to keep it when I asked politely.

We landed on time and had a short taxi to the gate.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 4, 2009 at 12:18 am
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:18 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Asiana
Business Class menu
Seoul Incheon to Tokyo Narita
April 2009

Asiana Bar

Spirits

Scotch whisky Ballantine's 17 years
Bourbon whiskey Jack Daniel
Vodka Smirnoff
Gin Beefeater's

Cognac & Liqueurs

Camus XO
Baileys irish cream

Beers

Non-alcoholic Beverages

Coffee

RA (Rainforest Alliance certified) coffee
Decaffeinated coffee
Espresso
Cappuccino
Cafe-latte

Tea

Champagne

Champagne Cattier Brut
Since 1763, Cattier has been devoted to the culture of vineyards. Cattier
Brut has gold with amber color and aromas of flowers, nuts and some touches of citrus fruits. On the palate, the champagne shows fresh and vinous, as an aperitif but also with white meat, poultry and seafood.

White Wine

HESS Moneterey Chardonnay 2007
This is a fine example of modern Californian Chardonnay where the emphasis is not oaky and roasted flavours, but purity, fruit and freshness. The nose is showing some dinstinct and tropical fruit aromas of pineapple, green apple and lemon and some discreet hints of spicy oak and vanilla. The palate is full bodied and delivers a lot of flavor; ripe fruit and a well balanced acidity. The aftertaste is very unctious and fruity with a long and fine persistence.

Red Wine

Artesa Elements 2004
The Artesa winery is found in the cool-climate Carneros region that straddles both Sonoma and Napa Valleys, the wines are well made and mirror the Californian sun and show a fine combination of ripe fruit and serious structure. Specifically blended from many varietals, or elements, this wine is brimming with lively black cherry and black berry fruit wrapped in mocha, fudge, and some spicy undertones of vanilla and wood. The palate is rich with a plethora of dark fruit, ripe tannins and a long and fruity finish.

Menu

Western

Appetizer

Smoked Salmon and Mixed Vegetables

Main Course

Rib Eye Bul-go-gi 535kcal
Served with Bulgogi Sauce
Accompanied by Sugar Snap Peas, Mushroom and Steamed Rice

Dessert

Bavarian Cream Cake

Korean

Main Course

Abalone Porridge 371kcal
Accompanied by Assorted Side Dishes and Watery Plain Kimchi

Dessert

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Coffee & Tea

OZ 102/101
SEL/NRT/SEL
B/C
2009C1 - 20090301~0430
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Post lunch, water bottles were handed out and as usual you could tell the first time flying Qantas skybed business seat passengers as they look around for somewhere to put the bottle. Incidentally I'm amazed so few airlines do this - have a water bottle holder that is - in their premium seats. I can think of LH F and QF. NZ C has an elastic strap to hold a water bottle but this isn't quite as convenient because you need two hands to put a bottle into the strap vs one-handed bottle drop.
If my memory serves me well the old J on CX longhaul has water bottle holders between the seats too? Not sure about the new config as I yet to experience those seats.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:03 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Tokyo Narita in transit

A short walk to international transit. Show my ticket and passport, and liquids baggy out. Then walk to the inter-terminal bus by gate 28. I arrived only to see the bus pull out, and wouldn't you know it the next one is over an hour away. So I headed back to the Red Carpet Club which I'd passed just moments before (even though the ANA lounges are much nicer they are further away from gate 28 so I discounted them).

I was let in without boarding pass on the strength of my ticket and *G status. This lounge gets lots of rave reviews on the United FT forum but I can't see the attraction. Okay, it is good compared to pretty much every other RCC, but that isn't saying much. For instance here in the middle of the day the only "food" is junk (pretzels and the like) and the drink selection is very limited.

I catch up on some messages and leave the lounge early to be sure I don't miss the next bus also. After a while standing around at gate 28, the bus pulls in. The driver rushes around the waiting passengers getting us to sign off our arrival and departure airlines so they have useage stats.

The drive to terminal 2 is slow, with a stop en route on the ANA pier of terminal 1. On arrival I head to transfer desk to check in. I noticed a sign with my name on it directing me to the JL transfer desk. A nice touch. I don't have to wait for an agent, but I soon realise she is typing an awful lot for a simple check in. Apparently there is a problem with my e-ticket, so she can't check me in until it is resolved. Good grief - twice in as many days I have glitches with e-tickets. After waiting for close to an hour I am given a boarding pass and on my way. For those keeping track, that is 2 hours from arrival at terminal 1 to being allowed to enter terminal 2. Good thing I didn't have a tight connection.

I headed for the Qantas lounge (taking the world's shortest train ride to the satellite terminal) which I know to be decent enough without being stunning, and the best of the options available to me. Inside I have some drinks and catch up on work. After about my fourth drink I realise the agent on the transfer desk didn't give me the ticket back, so I leave the lounge, take the train back to the main terminal. Fortunately the agent is still on duty and yes she realised she hadn't given me the ticket back. Another train back to the satellite and I'm welcomed back to the lounge.

I decided to grab a shower while the lounge was still fairly quiet. As with the Asiana lounge collect a key at reception. The shower was quite good, with Molton Brown amenities. Some more drink and some sushi while I await my onward airborne chariot. Shortly after I see it pull into the gate down the pier a bit.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

TOKYO NARITA to CHRISTCHURCH (NRT-CHC) on Air New Zealand 777-200ER 767-300 in business class

I was disappointed when Air NZ changed the equipment on this flight from 777-200ER to 767-300, due in large part to declining loads and yields. Instead of a nice Business Premier seat (lie flat and very comfortable) I'd get an old Business seat (cradle and barely wider than economy). I tried to reroute through Hong Kong but ran into difficulties getting the mileage back under the 39,000 limit allowed on the CRWSTAR3 *A round the world fare. As I'd already changed large portions of the ticket (some multiple times) my enthusiasm for making significant changes to at least 6 flights to make it work had ebbed and I gave up.

At least the load looked light enough that I'd get an empty seat beside me - and so it proved to be. Having room to put my stuff doesn't offset the much less comfortable seat though.

The faint hopes of a last minute reprieve dashed (seeing the 767 out the lounge windows), I headed for the gate at the appropriate time. There was a minor delay for boarding. Two queues had formed - one for business class, koru club, JAL club card, and *G; and one for everyone else. While we waited for boarding to start my passport was checked against the boarding pass and a mark put on the BP to indicate the check had been done. A minute later boarding commenced, and to my minor annoyance I was again asked for a check of my passport. That dealt with I stumbled onboard & stowed my carryon in the overhead bin. The seat already had an amenity kit on it.

I was dead tired. The kind of tiredness that I'm acting like an automaton without any thinking. I was struggling to keep my eyelids open and head from drooping. That is ordinary tiredness, of the kind you might have after pulling a couple of all nighters. The tiredness I was feeling went beyond that - the unable to hold a conversation due to my mind shutting down after hearing 5 words or saying 2 words kind. The I was amazed I was not drooling kind. The kind of tiredness where not only do I have no recollection of how I got into my seat but it is only when cabin crew touch me on the shoulder that I realise they are talking to me. I talking here of basic shutdown of mind and body.

The next couple of paragraphs of this trip report may be disturbing for some readers. To cater for sensitive Flyer Talkers, the disturbing bit has been "hidden". You have been warned, please skip ahead. Non-sensitive types can read it by highlighting the "hidden" section with their mouse.

***START HIDDEN SECTION***

I declined a pre-departure drink, and promptly nodded off to sleep. Sometime after take-off I was gently awoken to be handed a menu and arrival card. I was then asked if I wanted anything, or if I should be woken for dinner. I replied in the negative and promptly dropped back to sleep. When I awoke it was about 10 hours later, roughly 30 minutes before landing. Almost instantly (were they watching over me?) a crew member asked if I wanted to eat breakfast. I took a look at the cabin through bleary still-not-fully-awake eyes and noted breakfast had already been cleared away, and so not wanting to put the crew to any trouble, just asked for a glass of water.

Yes - shocking as it may be to some - I'd slept through almost an entire flight having neither drunk any booze nor eaten anything, nor watched any IFE, and even without reclining my seat. This is not the first time I've done this - other times include flying out of Singapore on Singapore Airlines post SIN-Do and a few times flying out of Los Angeles to Auckland or one of the islands on Air New Zealand.

Effectively all I got from this longhaul business class flight was class of service bonus miles and a bit more legroom than economy (except exit row).

***END HIDDEN SECTION***

It took me the remainder of the flight to gradually awaken. There were nice views of the Kaikoura Ranges, but with a few bumps in the strong nor'wester. Great views of the city and plains as we turned and landed back to the north. Apparently we'd been delayed on the ground in Tokyo and thus even with a relatively short flight time we landed a little late.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:05 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Air New Zealand
Business menu
Tokyo to Christchurch
April 2009

Air New Zealand is proud to welcome you to our Business Class. Your flight today will commence with a pre dinner drink service followed by a full dinner.

Breakfast will be offered prior to landing. However, if you would prefer to rest a little longer, we offer a Fast Dine breakfast service which will allow you to still have a quick bit to eat before landing. Just let your flight attendant know before you go to sleep that you would prefer not to be woken for the full breakfast.

Dinner

Starter

Shrimp and cauliflower mousse timbale
with truffle marinated scallops and onion capsicum confit

Bakery

Garlic bread and assorted crusty bread rolls

Main Course

Pan seared New Zealand beef loin
with herb glaze, roasted onion butter, thyme roasted potatoes, leaf spinach and carrots

Traditional Japanese dish of fried sea bass
with white radish sauce, dried tofu, bamboo shoot, asparagus, carrot, shimeji mushrooms and steamed rice

Chicken ballotine
stuffed with chicken mousse and fig, tarragon jus, broccoli, ratatouille and tagliatelle pasta

Dessert

Baked apple crumble
served with cinnamon scented ice cream

Cheese and Fruit

A selection of fine cheese and fresh seasonal fruit

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, Japanese green tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Self-service Snacks

Help yourself from our range of snacks available for you to enjoy during your flight

Breakfast

Wake-up Drinks

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, Japanese green tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate.

Light Breakfast

A bowl of muesli topped with yoghurt and fresh fruit is available as a lighter option.

Fast Dine Breakfast

Please let your flight attendant know if you would like to sleep-in and we will wake you as late as possible and offer you a raisin berry custard Danish pastry and a beverage of your choice.

Full Breakfast

Fruit and cereals will be offered followed by a hot bakery selection and your choice of a hot breakfast.

Fresh fruit salad

Yoghurt, natural or fruit flavoured

Muesli, fruity granola, Weetbix, Cornflakes

Bakery

Croissants, muffins, wholemeal, white or fruit toast served with fruit conserve

Hot Breakfast

Creamy scrambled egges
with chives, potato wedges, grilled breakfast pork sausage, asparagus and roasted tomato

Japanese egg rice porridge
with Koshi no Tori chicken, leek and mitsuba herb

Cinnamon sugared apple French toast
with grilled bacon, roasted white and golden peach with manuka honey and apple syrup

Wine

The premium wine selection onboard this flight has been chosen by our wine consultants : John Belsham of Foxes Island Wines, Kate Radburnd of CJ Pask Winery and Jim Harré, nationally recognised wine judge. For details of our onboard wines, refer to your Air New Zealand Wine Guide.

New Zealand Sparkling Wine

Offering a wide range of flavours, from rich, full-flavoured and vibrant styles to those which are finer and more delicate. A superb aperitif choice which also suits a wide range of light or moderately flavoured dishes.

Champagne

Champagne Laurent-Perrier L-P NV Brut, France
This champagne commences with pristine floral and mineral notes to the aroma. The taste is fresh with expressive flavours from which the fruit progressively emerges. The finish is very long and refreshing. A masterfully crafted wine.

Cocktails

Breeze of Passion
Tart cranberry juice and sweet pineapple juice combine wonderfully with 42Below Passionfruit flavoured vodka to create a refreshing tropical inspired cocktail.

On the Fly
42Below Passionfruit vodka, topped with plenty of chilled Champagne and a drizzle of passionfruit syrup, makes this crisp, delicious cocktail one for anytime of the day.

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager Pure, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, L&P (sparkling lemon drink), tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade and iced oolong tea

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed coffee
Decaffeinated coffee
English Breakfast tea
Hot chocolate
Chamomile tea
Lemon tea
Decaffeinated tea
Darjeeling tea
Earl Grey tea
Peppermint tea
Green tea
Jasmine tea

NZ90_NRT_DINNER_BFAST_109
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:12 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
If my memory serves me well the old J on CX longhaul has water bottle holders between the seats too? Not sure about the new config as I yet to experience those seats.
Now that you mention it I do recall the bottle holder on old CX business seats. I can't remember on the new ones. I'm sure there are some other airline seats with water bottle holders that I've missed or not flown. I think I'm right, however, in saying the majority do not have water bottle holders.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
KiwiFlyer

Thank god i read the 'Hidden' section. I am truly shocked! You of all people to boot. You must have been totally exhausted to exhbit this type of behaviour.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I know. I know. I must do better.

The next several days also has a challenging schedule, but I have a cunning plan.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I know. I know. I must do better.

The next several days also has a challenging schedule, but I have a cunning plan.
Which is....get more sleep?

BTW......Great TR, as usual.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Christchurch in transit

Passengers who continue on to Auckland on the same aircraft can leave their carry-ons in the overhead bin, but should not leave stuff in the seat pocket or on the seat. Thus any liquid duty free over 100ml purchased at Narita can be kept. I was tempted to have a shower in the lounge so took my carry-ons with me.

Off the airbridge and in my not-yet-fully awake state I almost continued left for immigration instead of straight ahead for transit security. Once security was negotiated successfully I bolted for the lounge to grab a shower. I wasn't first off the aircraft but some of the other business class passengers appeared to be unaware there was a lounge to relax in during the short transit. I tried to help as many as I could without being slowed down unduly.

The lounge was busier than I expected - I'd forgotten there was a Singapore Airlines flight later as well. Surprisingly a wait for the shower, so I headed for a computer instead to check my messages. A few diet cokes later I felt awake enough to start observing again. Sorry for the lapse.

The catering had dropped again since my previous visit to this lounge a few months ago. Hot food was some slice of omelette done up like a wrap, and some greasy looking potatoes. There was a sorry selection of salad items and some mini biscuits in a jar. No decent hot or cold food. Muffins, scones, slices all gone. The drinks cabinet also had lesser quality booze, not that I was interested in having any at this hour on a completely empty stomach.

The flight was called - slightly late but in line with the expected transit time. I had to wait even to use the bathroom. Conscious that the other transit passengers in the lounge had already gone I rushed the finish of the email I'd been working on, grabbed my stuff and made for the gate. The gate area was empty of people except for the agent who called out to me "Kiwi Flyer I presume? You're the last to board."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.