Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Asiana (OZ) F ORD-HKG with a twist on intra asia UA F and NH C (lots of pics)(Part 2)

Asiana (OZ) F ORD-HKG with a twist on intra asia UA F and NH C (lots of pics)(Part 2)

Old Feb 16, 09, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Cool Asiana (OZ) F ORD-HKG with a twist on intra asia UA F and NH C (lots of pics)(Part 2)

OZ F lounge at ICN in main terminal

Once I landed, I looked for sign for transfer, there is a sign for transfer not too far from the gate, but seemed to me it is not open yet, so I have to go for a long walk to look for another transfer point. The area for transfer was extremely small, unlike NRT, I wonder how can they handle a mass of pax during the day when many flights arriving. Also unlike NRT, there is no priority line for F pax. There were about 20 people with only one line, it took me more than 30 min to get pass transfer security. After that, I went for a smoke, then head up to the F lounge one floor up the departure level.

The lady at the front keep insisting I should go to the F lounge at the other terminal, I explained to her since I had a 6 hrs layover, there is no need to get to the other terminal for my UA flight leaving at noon, someone had mentioned once you left the main terminal, you cannot get back. Once she let me in, there was another lady asking if I speak Korean, I said no, then she asked if I want some coffee or tea. I decline but told her what I need is a shower after the 14+ hrs flight to freshen up a bit. She showed me the showers, which is at the end of the lounge. There were about 5 stalls.

It seemed like OZ had finally get rid of the common hosehold brands of shower amenities, replace with The Body Shop probucts, it is a nice change, but you are still pouring the stuff from big bottles. With F lounge, they should use a more presitage products like NH use Loccitane, UA use H2O, and BA with Molton Brown, OZ should really take note on that.

Mango shower gel. Honey shampoo and conditioner underneath.

Shaving gel on top, toothbrush/paste, and comb at the bottom shelve

Styling gel on top, Charmzone lotion in the middle

It took more than 15 min for the water to start to get warm, it never get hot at all, not sure if others has the same experience as I did. After the shower, I start to look around this new F lounge, it was still early, no one there yet.

There is a nice piano, but no one is playing, it isn't one of those electronic piano either (it can put a tape or CD and it play itself)

Finally the food counter

I got a sample of everything, dim sum, duck meat with peach, some eggs, and abalone porridge. I am not sure if abalone porridge is a flavor, as I can't find any pieces of abalone even I go through the whole pot at the counter.

Later I saw some Korean are having noodles soup as well as udon, there are no sign anywhere, but I ask the attendant to made one for myself. Obviously you have an advantage if you can speak korean, there may be more food available cook-to-order that I don't know about.

There is also a business center at a room right near the entrance to the lounge with 4 or 5 pc, but there is so much time, I decided to wander around the terminal to look at planes.

My plane from ORD HL7775 is going to MNL as OZ701.

74M HL7421 in new color to PVG as OZ 361 and 744 pax HL7418 in old color to HKG as OZ 721.

Old liveries 321 HL7723, 333, and 744

New liveries 74M HL7421, 777, and 320

Later on, I proceed to the other terminal, concourse A, indeed there were some people checking boarding passes at the escalator going down to the lowel level for the underground train. The other terminal not sure when did that open, I am assuming recently, since the last time I past through ICN several years ago, UA and SQ still in the main terminal, with also a SQ lounge. Now it looks like the main terminal only host for all KE and OZ flights, while the other terminal is for all other airlines.

There were two 777 parked at the tarmac, I am guessing one is mine for the UA 882 to NRT, the other probably is UA 892 to SFO.

OZ F lounge at Concourse A

With time spare, I went to the F lounge in this terminal. This OZ lounge basically F is on the left side, C is on the right side. I went to the F side, no one at all, not even any staff. This is much smaller than the one in the main terminal, but basically look the same, business center, showers, food offerings.

From the photo, the middle entrance is to the shower roomswith massage chair on the right, the entrance on the right side of the photo is to the business center.

I just grab a Haagen-Dazs ice cream bar and a bottle of orange juice, then went to a room with the massage chair for a full almost half hour massage.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 18, 09 at 11:14 am
Old Feb 16, 09, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

UA 882 ICN-NRT
N783UA (2983)(XI) 3 class 777-200ER
Seat 2A F class
12:15pm departure 1/23/09

My gate is also use for the later departure UA 892 to SFO

Boarding was smooth except me, little to I know they have to change to a UA boarding pass, plus the agent also said she had to check to make sure if my bag was loaded into this plane, it took almost 15 min to do that, by the time she finished, they were already boarding seating 2.

I didn't know it will have another security check right before the jetbridge once you go down the escalator. They were searching for all pax. They took away a bottle of water which I got from the F lounge, I told them I am not travelling to US, why would they need to do that at all ? I guess different airports have different rules. They used to do this all over the airports in the world right after 9/11/2001, since then most airports have relax the rules, at least I know HKG and NRT does not apply anymore. This kind of rule will definately prevent any travellers to transfer at ICN, at least I am one of them.

Seat 1A and 2A on the old C seats.

After I settled in, I was asked my choice my drinks, rather than just offer OJ or water like the usual UA flights. I asked for a coke with a lemon, I was given a full can. I was taking photos with the chair, as this was actually the 2nd time I am sitting in the 3 class F seat. The purser saw that I am so much like to take photos, he actually invite me to see the cockpit, I also asked the pilot if he will turn on ch.9, access granted. This is what I like about flying UA, on most of my flights on UA, I always met some nice people. FA also pass around the amenity basketon this short flight, it has toothbrush/paste set, eye shades, and ear plugs, although no socks or slippers though.

Purser today was actually a chinese guy name Zhou, he announced today's short flight only serve a snack from the PA, he came by and took meal orders before the door close. F was full on that day, but I was the first the get meal order. I am really curious about other people's status though. There was no menus, it is a choice of cold korean bento box or chicken salad. I know Y would only get a snack box. I had choosen the korean bento, which is not a very good choice, as the food is really cold. I basically just eaten the fish and rice, the chocolate mousse tart actually is the best part of the meal, I would rather for him to give me several of those tarts rather than the bento.

Right before we approach NRT, Captain came on the PA saying on the left side of the plane, it will have a clear view of Mt.Fuji, indeed it was. UA's pilot always do a very good job in communicating with pax, no matter delays or information.

After arriving into NRT, can't believe my luggage was almost the last to come out, with regular orange priority tag bags all came out in the beginning, but none of mine came, they just couldn't recognize the OZ F tag ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 18, 09 at 11:22 am
Old Feb 16, 09, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Part 3 coming out shortly.
Old Feb 16, 09, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Duplicate post, please delete.
Old Feb 17, 09, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Feel free to make any positive or negative comments, questions, or suggestions.
Old Feb 17, 09, 3:20 am
Original Poster

I will take sometime off to write to last past of my trip: return to the US
Old Feb 17, 09, 11:37 am
Original Poster

My last flight report will be out shortly
Old Feb 18, 09, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Final Part Completed !
Old Feb 23, 09, 6:12 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Talking

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
Feel free to make any positive or negative comments, questions, or suggestions.
In UA F, that's the same exact Korean "bento" box and dessert that they serve in C, no? At least I get it every time I go C from ICN-NRT. Wow!
Nice trip report! I was looking all over for some reports from the new OZ F lounge. Thank you! ^
Old Feb 23, 09, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paella747 View Post
In UA F, that's the same exact Korean "bento" box and dessert that they serve in C, no? At least I get it every time I go C from ICN-NRT. Wow!
Nice trip report! I was looking all over for some reports from the new OZ F lounge. Thank you! ^
Yes it is, that bento box was quite bad, as it was icy cold. It may taste better if it served hot. The other choice was chicken salad, I don't want a domestic F meal, that's why I choose the bento.
Old Feb 27, 09, 7:38 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Thanks for the great report & pictures ^
Old May 26, 09, 12:47 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Thanks for the report and pics. I will be flying two of your flights on this trip (OZ ORD-ICN & UA ICN-NRT) so I enjoyed being able to see pics what I can look forward to in August.
Old May 29, 09, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your generous comments
Old May 31, 09, 7:11 am

Another awesome TR, on to part 3!!!
Old Jun 1, 09, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
How many miles for this?

How many UA miles did it take for you to get this trip?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: