Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Winter Wanderings Around America by Plane And Train

Winter Wanderings Around America by Plane And Train

Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
What an interesting mix of airplanes and trains!

Good luck with the surgury and my thoughts are with you at the loss of your friend.

Adam
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Nice report !

I have never travelled by train, but always curious what kind of bath amenities does Amtrak provide in the First Class shower compartment ? Do they use small bottles like hotels ? Or large bottles of shower gel/shampoo ? What brand are those ? How about toothbrush/paste ? comb ? Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Nice report !

I have never travelled by train, but always curious what kind of bath amenities does Amtrak provide in the First Class shower compartment ? Do they use small bottles like hotels ? Or large bottles of shower gel/shampoo ? What brand are those ? How about toothbrush/paste ? comb ? Thanks.
When it comes to amenities on Amtrak, you get a towel.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
When it comes to amenities on Amtrak, you get a towel.
Wow, so I guess if you don't bring your own shower amenities, you will have nothing to clean yourself except water ?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
That is correct. Would this prevent you from riding Amtrak? I can't imagine it should be that big a deal. Just bring some shampoo and soap along.

Thanks again everyone for your commments and best wishes. all of which are very much appreciated. I would be happy to answer any more questions but I must beg your indulgence for a few days rest as sitting up and typing is not a pleasant activity at present.

Gregg, they've got me on Vicodin 10s and Flexoril. My nurse is indeed pretty cute!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 7, 2009 at 9:02 pm
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:07 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Many thanks to Mwenenzi for pointing me in the direction of a Seat2A TR. Like others said above, it's one that needs time and a cuppa (or a stiffer drink) to marvel over.

Seat 2A, brilliant attention to detail as usual and I wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery, so you can once again, get back (no pun intended ) into flying. However, being holed up in bed will only get your mind planning the next one.

Sorry to hear about your friend - no doubt it was disappointing that you couldn't get back in time to say your goodbyes.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:15 am

As always an enjoyable trip report Seat2A.

Is there a reason that platforms in the US are never more than a step or two high? Such a contrast to platforms in other countries.

Also congratulations on 2000 posts.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by goback

Is there a reason that platforms in the US are never more than a step or two high? Such a contrast to platforms in other countries.
Most stations on heavily traveled Amtrak short-distance corridors have high-level boarding platforms. I don't think Amtrak's long-distance Superliner equipment is compatible with high-level boarding, however.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
This might have been the FIRST trip report I read here on FT. The words "wanderings" and "train" caught my attention.
Enjoy this well written piece. I long have a desire to "train" it in America (never done it in USA), and I think your report had given me a kick in the rear-end to start planning a train trip (want to incorporate Canada into it as well). Issue is time!

I enjoyed and treasured the experience of travel in Europe and Japan. Have one coming up in Japan in the summer. Look forward to that.

Re planning for train travel in the US (and Canada): aside from the usual obvious web sites for information, any unique sources where one can really get a taste of the journey before it is taken? (on the web preferred).

I think I ought to visit the Trip Reports sub-forum more often so that I don't miss gems like this. Nice post, punctuated with interesting pixels. ^

Thanks again OP.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I meant to address this earlier, but my recent surgery made it a difficult proposition at the time.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Wow, so I guess if you don't bring your own shower amenities, you will have nothing to clean yourself except water ?
I'd like to take a moment to apologize to ORDnHKG and any other similarly concerned readers for my initially brusque response (posted for awhile last week and since edited, but nonetheless read by many) to this comment regarding Amtrak's lack of shower amenities other than a towel. My first reaction was essentially - Of all the things to comment on or show concern about in contemplating your first trip on a train, THIS is what concerns you? Keeping Clean?

In retrospect, I accept it's a valid concern for many people.

I am not most people.

I have spent - and continue to spend - alot of time traveling for the sheer joy of travel. Of just going somewhere. I've hitch-hiked thousands of miles all over the country, ridden multi-day trips in steerage on freighters, taken 7-10 day journeys by horseback and raft, and ridden many multi-day journeys by train all over the world. Prior to these travels, never once have I been concerned about my options for cleaning myself.

This is not to say that when traveling I devolve into some stinking unwashed slob who inflicts myself on my fellow passengers. I'm just not concerned about whether or not I'll be able to stay clean during a journey because I'm confident I'll work that out as I go along. I do not believe I will go to Hell if I don't change my underwear or socks daily. The reality is there's always a sink, a shower or a truckstop somewhere. I've even purchased a gallon bottle of water, some soap and paper towels to clean up behind my vehicle in an obscure corner of a city parking lot. I do what I have to do and I don't get squeamish about it. I've quite literally been on the road waaay too long for that.

Above all else, the great affair is to GO. To travel.

But that's me. Though I can afford much, much more, I live in a cabin without water and get 3 channels of TV. I have to carry in water and first heat it on a stove if I want a shower. This has been a normal and acceptable existence to me for years. Even when I was working 50 weeks a year, I managed in this style just fine. I like "The Life" more than the creature comforts. I'm not better or worse - just different.

Still, I've been around long enough and have gotten out in the world more than enough to appreciate that we all have varying degrees of tolerance for how we choose to live our lives, be it at home or out on the road. Whereas I may prefer an old motel, you want nothing less than a Starwood Suite. Nothing wrong with that. Whereas I wouldn't hesitate to ride any train on a multi-day journey regardless of whether it had a shower, others place a higher premium on cleanliness first. Nothing wrong with that.

There is something wrong however in saying I have no interest in toiletries, so please don't ask me about them. Given the varied audience here at FT, the concern over brands and/or lack of toiletries is a valid one and I should have been more polite and understanding in my response.

So ORDnHKG, I apologize that I wasn't. Although in terms of sheer luxury Amtrak's First Class would hardly compare favorably with the world's finest railroads, I would like to think that if you did purchase a bedroom you would have a comfortable and scenic experience with positive memories of the trip that would last you a lifetime. Just remember to bring some soap and shampoo along.

Thanks again to those of you who've taken the time to comment or ask questions.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm
Old Mar 7, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Great trip report.

I always enjoy your writing and find you put together some of the most interesting trips.

A question about your airport sleep setup. Do you have a 6 foot long thermarest, or do you have a shorty. I'm wanting to buy one and wondered which you prefer.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:30 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
I meant to address this earlier, but my recent surgery made it a difficult proposition at the time.

I'd like to take a moment to apologize to ORDnHKG and any other similarly concerned readers for my initially brusque response (posted for awhile last week and since edited, but nonetheless read by many) to this comment regarding Amtrak's lack of shower amenities other than a towel. My first reaction was essentially - Of all the things to comment on or show concern about in contemplating your first trip on a train, THIS is what concerns you? Keeping Clean?

In retrospect, I accept it's a valid concern for many people.

I am not most people.

I have spent - and continue to spend - alot of time traveling for the sheer joy of travel. Of just going somewhere. I've hitch-hiked thousands of miles all over the country, ridden multi-day trips in steerage on freighters, taken 7-10 day journeys by horseback and raft, and ridden many multi-day journeys by train all over the world. Prior to these travels, never once have I been concerned about my options for cleaning myself.

This is not to say that when traveling I devolve into some stinking unwashed slob who inflicts myself on my fellow passengers. I'm just not concerned about whether or not I'll be able to stay clean during a journey because I'm confident I'll work that out as I go along. I do not believe I will go to Hell if I don't change my underwear or socks daily. The reality is there's always a sink, a shower or a truckstop somewhere. I've even purchased a gallon bottle of water, some soap and paper towels to clean up behind my vehicle in an obscure corner of a city parking lot. I do what I have to do and I don't get squeamish about it. I've quite literally been on the road waaay too long for that.

Above all else, the great affair is to GO. To travel.

But that's me. Though I can afford much, much more, I live in a cabin without water and get 3 channels of TV. I have to carry in water and first heat it on a stove if I want a shower. This has been a normal and acceptable existence to me for years. Even when I was working 50 weeks a year, I managed in this style just fine. I like "The Life" more than the creature comforts. I'm not better or worse - just different.

Still, I've been around long enough and have gotten out in the world more than enough to appreciate that we all have varying degrees of tolerance for how we choose to live our lives, be it at home or out on the road. Whereas I may prefer an old motel, you want nothing less than a Starwood Suite. Nothing wrong with that. Whereas I wouldn't hesitate to ride any train on a multi-day journey regardless of whether it had a shower, others place a higher premium on cleanliness first. Nothing wrong with that.

There is something wrong however in saying I have no interest in toiletries, so please don't ask me about them. Given the varied audience here at FT, the concern over brands and/or lack of toiletries is a valid one and I should have been more polite and understanding in my response.

So ORDnHKG, I apologize that I wasn't. Although in terms of sheer luxury Amtrak's First Class would hardly compare favorably with the world's finest railroads, I would like to think that if you did purchase a bedroom you would have a comfortable and scenic experience with positive memories of the trip that would last you a lifetime. Just remember to bring some soap and shampoo along.

Thanks again to those of you who've taken the time to comment or ask questions.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:48 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
That is correct. Would this prevent you from riding Amtrak? I can't imagine it should be that big a deal. Just bring some shampoo and soap along.

Thanks again everyone for your commments and best wishes. all of which are very much appreciated. I would be happy to answer any more questions but I must beg your indulgence for a few days rest as sitting up and typing is not a pleasant activity at present.

Gregg, they've got me on Vicodin 10s and Flexoril. My nurse is indeed pretty cute!
Seat 2A, I am a great fan of your trip reports, and I also love train travel and have done a little of it in the US, so I particularly liked this report.

I have just completed reading Moomba's recent series of trip reports, and I hope to resume my RTW trips again shortly although they have been postponed by 12 months or so because of the market crash, but Alaska is high on my list of places to visit after going through the report of his visit to your part of the world. The only time I have been to Alaska was transiting in Anchorage in the old days when there was a refuelling stop required on flights from the West Coast to Japan and Korea.

If I remember you were in Melbourne 2 years ago staying at a hotel in Swanston Street, just around the corner from my Melbourne apartment. I was on one of my trips to Melbourne and I found out 2 days after you left - I would have enjoyed meeting you. I may have the pleasure when I am on my Alaskan adventure.
I trust the surgery was a success.

Last edited by WellingtonFF; Mar 8, 2009 at 3:58 am
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Wow, awesome report Seat 2A!

I had the pleasure of meeting you while in Denali park last year. I had a brief chat with you after my friend and I got off your bus.

Oh yeah, I'd love to ride this train so I can experience this particular scenery ^

Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
Seat2A -

Thanks so very much for another wonderful trip report. I always enjoy your posts, as I know they that each one will be different, exciting, detailed, and humorous. I spend some time each summer in your neck of the woods (King Salmon, AK to be exact). If our paths ever have a chance to cross in ANC, or elsewhere, I'd love to buy you a beer and hear more of your travel tales.

Thanks again!

Elliott

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.