Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere

One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere

Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Boarding passes in hand and less than an hour to departure, it was a short stop at the immigration desk inside the lobby, then upstairs and another short pause at pre-cleared immigration and security. Given it is just before Christmas I expected huge queues everywhere, but while it was moderately busy with most flights nearly full, I had managed to pick a time of day with fewer flights and so shorter queues.

Off to duty free to pick up my pre-order and then up again to the Qantas F lounge ("welcome back I was getting worried you were missing your flight"). I just had time to check my messages and grab a quick drink and a small nibble to eat - having missed both breakfast and lunch I was getting a bit peckish. For those interested the lounge champagne was Lanson Brut Cuvee.

The flight was called and I was halfway to the gate when I heard a call for the last remaining passengers to please hurry up. While a late call in the lounge is nice, this year they seem to be cutting it finer and finer, at least in my experience. A hurry up is not what I'm looking for.

I boarded last and stow my carry on. Despite pre-departure service still being underway I was not offered a drink, or a newspaper, or indeed anything, nor given a personal greeting The flight was reasonably full but I had an empty seat alongside.

After take off a menu was handed out, and we were offered personal DVDs. There was no DVD menu this time, but I took my chances on there being something better than the main screen offering of “Man on Wire”. There wasn’t really but I put on some rubbish to doze off to. For some reason the DVD player took a while to get going.

Next arrival cards for Australia were handed out, together with express cards for those in business class. Finally an hour into the flight our drink orders were taken. By now I was getting thirsty so I asked for two glasses! Champagne in flight was Piper Heidsieck I think.

Service was slow and we were halfway across the Tasman before lunch was served. I was glad I’d grabbed a nibble in the lounge for it is getting on for a day since my last proper meal. Only white rolls were available and the “salad” was apparently the small collection of leaves with 2 half cherry tomatoes. My advice is if you are hungry get some food before or after the flight. The ice cream was rock hard as usual (somehow despite having 2 1/2 hours in flight to warm it up a little it still had roughly the consistency of concrete) and we were not allowed to have both that and cheese, it was one or the other. I declined the coffee because I want a nice deep sleep soon, and really I must confess as it is the season to indulge another glass of wine suited me better.

The crew barely had time to collect the meal stuff and DVDs before it was time for “cabin crew please be seated”. We had the now very familiar loop up to Ku-Ring-Gai before landing to the south (I seem to get this on every trans-Tasman flight into Sydney), but I was pleased to see on approach that we were on the main runway for a nice change instead of the 3rd runway with it’s very long taxi back to the terminal.

We landed 10 minutes late. I don’t know why they don’t allow in the schedules for the long approach on Tasman flights. It has been a while since I’ve landed in Sydney on time, come to think of it a while also on longhaul flights. We taxied into the non-oneworld pier of the international terminal, which was deserted at both immigration and customs. Because I had not given an address to stay in Australia, I was asked when my onward flight was but not questioned further when I replied tomorrow morning. Quarantine staff were apparently on a break when I rocked up, the first passenger through in some time by the looks. The officer paused to decide whether or not to open up an xray machine and call a colleague off their break before letting me straight through. The easy way won out this time.

Useless trivia time. Somewhere across the Tasman Sea I passed 1 month in the air in 2008 (not counting time spent at airports), the 4th year in a row I have flown this long.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
New Zealand to Australia
December 2008

Menu

From The Bar

Marinated Olives

Roasted Nuts

Main Courses

Soy Braised Chicken with Black Mushrooms, Asian Vegetables and Steamed Rice
Served with Prosciutto, Parmesan and Mesclun Appetiser

Seared Lamb Loin accompanied with Mint Jus and Roasted Vegetables
Served with Prosciutto, Parmesan and Mesclun Appetiser

Salad of Char Grilled Salmon with Cucumber, Tomato and Baby Spinach
Served with Fresh Fruit

Warm Bakery

Selection of Seasonal Cheese and Dried Fruit

Ice Cream and Biscotti

Chocolates

Beverages

Champagne

Qantas is proud to feature Premium Non-Vintage Champagne from the most respected houses in France.

Australian and New Zealand Wine

For your enjoyment we have a selection of light and full bodied, premium white and red wines onboard today. Your Flight Attendant will advise you on the selection.

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky

Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%

Tanqueray London Dry Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Wild Turkey 86.8º Bourbon

Wyborowa Polish Vodka

Beers

Hahn Premium Light

Heineken

James Squire Golden Ale

Victoria Bitter

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Cola

Diet Cola

Ginger Ale

Lemonade

Solo – Lemon Squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders Coffee
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
Chamomile
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Liqueurs

Bailey’s Irish Cream

Cointreau

Fortified

Penfolds Bluestone 10yo Tawny

Baileys of Glenrowan Founder Liqueur Muscat

Cognac

Martell VSOP

J_TAS_MM_1_NZ-AUS_SUM08
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Sydney

Arriving at the non-oneworld pier means a long walk to the transfer bus at the far other end of the terminal. There were no queues and since I already had my boarding pass no need to stop at the check in counter. I was pleased to see a business class line had been slightly extended since I was last here, although it could still do with being longer in peak periods. I personally would also value a special line for those who have no bags to check and have already checked in - it is annoying to wait in a long snake just to reach the bit where you can go left for security instead of remaining in the check in line.

I was lucky with timing as the next bus left 5 minutes after I arrive. The schedule is every 20 minutes after 1220 (and before 0700).

Then a tiki tour of the airport to reach domestic terminal. I was surprised how many 747s Qantas had parked up on the apron and in hangars at the moment. Inside it was my first opportunity to visit the new business class lounge. Yes it has been a while since I've flown domestically from Sydney and there are now 2 lounges - one for Qantas Club and OW sapphire, and one for business class and OW emerald - where previously there was one big lounge.

It wasn't too busy. I grabbed a shower to freshen up (get towels from reception and dump the used ones in the bin in the corridor). It felt refreshed for all of 2 minutes. Why oh why does Qantas have the temperature up so high in the shower rooms? Together with all the water it makes for a horrible humid environment. I'd forgotten that this is normal but it didn't take me long to remember.

A couple of the computers were inoperable but I found one to surf FT while I drank and nibbled a bit more. The sparkling wine, for those who may wish to know, was a Chardonnay from Blue Pyrenees, NV. As well as sparkling there were a couple of reds and whites on offer, some juice and a coffee machine (actually there are 3 in the lounge but 2 were out of order). Food changed while I was there. Some fruit. Some goulash and bread. Some salady bits and pieces. Cheese. Something that looked like it might be a Christmas mince pie, but covered in sugar on top. Later some sausage rolls, mini pies and pizza.

Apparently there was another FTer in the lounge at the time, but I missed them only finding out they were there after I had arrived, by which time they were offline.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SYDNEY to PERTH (SYD-PER) on Qantas 747-300 A330-200 in business class

When I booked this flight it was a 747-300, and possibly one of the last flights I would take in this old bird. However some time ago it was switched out to A330-200. I had mixed emotions - missing a flight on the 747-300 vs a much reduced chance of mechanical issues creating problems with my tight itinerary.

We had a call in the lounge our flight was delayed 25 minutes due to the stock reason of late arrival of the aircraft. I put the extra lounge time to good use - hic. I decided to head out a little early because I thought the flight would be fairly full and at this time of year overhead bin space can be at a premium due to passengers carrying presents as well as normal stuff. There was a huge orderly queue at the gate - everyone was keen to go as soon as possible. 25 minutes became 40 minutes and then we boarded.

Sitting at the front I had to stow my carry on over the row behind me due to the aircraft curvature the front row bins are very shallow - too small even for my little wheelie.

A pre-departure offer of water or juice, and a selection of newspapers. We took off to the south and soon were immersed in the dense low cloud which had been hanging around. Thus no views of the city or the Blue Mountains. I'm not sure where exactly the cloud cover cleared but it was well into the plains. We had moderate turbulence through the first bit of the flight and then light chop for the rest of the way. There was a brief period when service was suspended but for the most part there was no interruption.

IFE on the main screen was first the usual Qantas promotional stuff, then news, then Bondi Rescue, then to check if anyone was watching the safety video, then The Mummy. I'm not sure what was shown after The Mummy as I was asleep but I noticed the final minute of Shrek the Halls just prior to landing.

I was more interested in the view out the window. With our flight falling behind in it's pursuit of the setting sun, the western NSW land below took on an appearance of some other-worldly fantasy land with odd hues and colours.

We had a post departure drink before dinner. The mains was a choice of Thai green curry salmon or chicken with parmesan, plus small salad, some white rolls. The wines on offer were Pinot Noir or Riesling. I do not know what was offered for dessert or afters as I was asleep by then.

I managed a few hours sleep and awoke not long before landing. The lights of Perth shining brightly in clear skies.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Perth

One advantage of taking this later flight to Perth instead of the earlier one was being a larger aircraft I was fairly sure to get a gate instead of a stand. Yes, Perth domestic around midnight is very busy with lots of aircraft parked up on stands with far too few airbridge gates.

So 1 minute after arriving I was already in the Qantas Club to await my next flight. Since I'd last visited there had been some minor changes - a reconfiguration to fit in more seats which are badly needed although the lounge could do with being enlarged also.

We hadn't made up time en route so I had just under an hour in the lounge to catch up on messages and FT, and imbibe a little as well. The sparkling wine was Stonyfell Brut NV.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

PERTH to SYDNEY (PER-SYD) on Qantas A330-200 in business class

We boarded on time but as I've experienced before on this route, were held at the gate for a while so as to not arrive at Sydney before the curfew. The load was fairly full.

We were offered a pre-departure juice or water. Supper was served but don't ask me what the food and drinks were as I was asleep by then. Sometime during the night a small water bottle was handed out as I awoke to find one on the arm rest.

I have NFI on the IFE either, falling asleep before it was switched on and awaking to see air show on display.

I was woken on descent having gotten 3 hours sleep on the short red-eye flight. It was still cloudy but the perfectly timed dawn was breaking. I watched the small sliver of red slowly grow into a ball and turn orange then yellow as it did so.

We had a loop over Canberra and Woollongong before landing to the north. The pilots cut the curfew a bit fine - according to airshow we landed about 0600 and 15 seconds.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 4:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Transit in Sydney (again)

With our early arrival I knew there was little point in rushing to transfer bus, the first one goes at 0620. So I took a leisurely stroll, picked up an express immigration card and went down to wait for the first bus. There were about 70 passengers on the Perth flight who were connecting to international flights. So instead of my usual hang back to board the bus last I went in the middle, just in case we would not all fit in one busload. It didn't matter as they jammed us in. At least I didn't have to worry about falling over on the corners as we are packed so tight that we all hold each other up.

There was a bit of a queue at immigration, so unlike yesterday I decided to play the express card. There were no immigration officers manning those desks and the others did not wave me over, so a small wait for a couple to come out of the room opposite and set up their computers.

No queue at security so I repocketed the express card to use another time. Then up the stairs to bypass duty free and back to the first class lounge.

I had plenty of time to have a nice long leisurely shower and freshen up, catch up on messages, have a couple of drinks and a relaxing breakfast. The lounge was fairly quiet as expected for Christmas Day.

The champagne on offer had changed since my previous visit. Now it is Deveraux.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
... The champagne on offer had changed since my previous visit. Now it is Deveraux.
Since the F lounges opened in May '07 there normally has been two or three bubbly options ... this was the case with my last Flounge visit earlier this month in MEL with 3, Has this changed?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 1:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Right - there are normally 2, but only 1 on offer this time
Old Dec 26, 2008, 2:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'm not sure how long I'll have before boarding is called on my next flight, so please forgive me if I only manage to type up part of the next flight before being interrupted.

SYDNEY to JOHANNESBURG (SYD-JNB) on Qantas 747-400 in business class

3 months ago I put in an upgrade request on the first day it opened. With low loads and my status I expected it would clear. I rechecked availability and even 36 hours before departure it looked good. However I was saved from the "will it or won't it clear" wait when the flight reverted from 3 class to a 2 class aircraft. Dang.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

There was no boarding call in the lounge, despite every other flight being announced. With the very light load I was anticipating a later call than usual but was surprised to see final call on the screens. I had barely left the lounge when the few remaining passengers were paged.

Onboard there was plenty of room to stretch out but yet families and couples had been seated apart and not allowed to move together until after takeoff. I guess even large aircraft sometimes have balance issues.

On the seat already was the printed menu. Pre-departure drinks were offered, a choice of water juice or bubbles. Then the various amenities were handed out - pjs, amenity kit, day old newspapers. I looked in the magazine rack for something to read but the selection was pitiful with just Forbes Asia. Somehow I was skipped in the ISM welcome of elites.

We pushed back about 20 minutes late. Our route took us south over Tasmania and with a kink to the south along the Antarctica coastline for a few hours (a long way south of the great circle route) before heading north for Africa. Unfortunately views of the continent were sparse not only because crew enforced all blinds down, but also because of extensive cloud cover. We had a few glimpses from the windows in the door and the loo of ice and snow, but nowhere near as good as I had on the flight from Buenos Aires to Sydney.

We had lunch before we levelled off, pretty much at the same time as post-departure drinks were served. Then a long period with minimal service, before a light meal 90 minutes from landing. Champagne on offer was Charles Hiedsieck.

During the middle of the flight we were given water bottles. A few times I asked for another glass only to be forgotten. I gave up after that

We arrived almost an hour early.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm Reason: forgot to mention the bubbly :o
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

After a long walk from the end gate to immigration, there was little wait and with no checked bags I arrived landside a full 45 minutes before scheduled arrival. I changed some money while I waited for my ride which had been taken by surprise at how early I was out.

Some more trivia. Sydney to Johannesburg was the third time I've flown over Antarctica (in this case the edge), with the previous times being the sightseeing overflight and the flight from Buenos Aires earlier in the report. The flight was also only my second intercontinental route crossing that is wholly in the Southern Hemisphere (an earlier Johannesburg to Singapore flight just crossed the Equator).

Johannesburg is my 42nd Qantas destination, which means Qantas is once again the airline which I've flown to the 2nd most airports (behind Air NZ on 54 and reclaiming the spot taken by Singapore Airlines a couple of months ago).

Johannesburg is the 3rd airport this year which I flown to/from that is over 1 mile in altitude (1694m, Denver 1655m, Addis Ababa 2334m).
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
Sydney to Johannesburg
December 2008

Lunch

Our extensive Rockpool designed menu allows you to enjoy a completely personalised dining experience. You can choose the full menu after take-off or our Express meal is available at any time.

Entrée

Zucchini and Basil Soup with Parmesan

Main Courses

Green Curry of Kingfish with Jasmine Rice and Snow Peas

Roast Herb and Ricotta Chicken with Yam Puree and Wilted Spinach

Beef Fillet with Red Wine Jus, Potato Gratin and Green Beans

Green Leaf Salad with Herb Vinaigrette

Dessert

Seasonal cheese hand-selected by Calendar Cheese Company served with accompaniments

Nice Cream Pistachio and Strawberry Ice Cream with Spiced Strawberries

Sliced Fresh Fruit

Chocolates

Valrhona Chocolates

Paton's Macadamia Chocolates

Express Lunch

To assist in providing you with a flexible dining experience, choose the following menu as an express meal after take-off or nominate your preferred time to dine later in the flight.

Zucchini and Basil Soup with Parmesan

Salad of King Prawns with White Beans and Serrano Ham

Green Leaf Salad with Herb Vinaigrette

Refreshment

Enjoy a range of snacks and drinks at any time throughout your flight. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to prepare your selection or simply snack from our inflight bar.

Toasted Flat Bread with Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, Eggplant Relish and Rocket

Toasted Baguette with Poached Chicken, Pesto, Fontina and Herb Roasted Tomatoes

or

Create your own toasted sandwich from the following selection

Italian Flat Bread or Sourdough Baguette with :

Smoked Salmon
Yalla Eggplant Relish
Poached Chicken
Herb Roasted Tomatoes
Cream Cheese
Baby Rocket Leaves
Fontina
Pesto

Fresh Whole Fruit

Mother Meg's Chocolate Chip Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits

Chocolate Bars

Light Dinner

Main Courses

Seared Blue Eye with Sage Butter and Char Grilled Vegetables

Chicken and Sweet Corn Pot Pie with Capsicum Relish

Za'atar Crusted Lamb with Tabbouleh and Skordalia

Green Leaf Salad with Black Olives and Cucumber

Dessert

Seasonal cheese hand-selected by Calendar Cheese Company served with accompaniments

Pineapple Cake with Vanilla Bean Yoghurt

Sliced Fresh Fruit

Chocolates

Valrhona Chocolates

Paton's Macadamia Chocolates

Beverages

Champagne

Qantas is proud to feature Premium Non-Vintage Champagne from the most respected houses in France.

Australian Wine

We invite you to view our range of world-class wines and accompanying tasting notes in the Qantas Inflight Guide to Wine, found in seat pockets.

For your enjoyment we have a selection of light and full bodied, premium white and red wines onboard today. Your Flight Attendant will advise you on the selection.

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky

Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%

Tanqueray London Dry Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Whisky

Wild Turkey 86.8º Bourbon

Wyborowa Classic Vodka

Beers

Hahn Premium Light

Heineken

James Squire Golden Ale

Victoria Bitter

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Cola

Diet Cola

Ginger Ale

Lemonade

Solo – Lemon Squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders Coffee
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
Chamomile
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Liqueurs

Bailey’s Irish Cream

Cointreau

Fortified

Penfolds Bluestone 10yo Tawny

Baileys of Glenrowan Founder Liqueur Muscat

Cognac

Martell VSOP

J63_SYD_JNB_OCT08
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Johannesburg

Due to airline schedules I needed to overnight in Johannesburg. I managed to nab a point stretcher at the Hilton Sandton. I was welcomed back and given a nice executive suite. The executive lounge is shut around Christmas time, and no alternative breakfast was offered. In the room a bottle of house red, a large water bottle and a plate of dried meat and dried fruit was waiting for me.

Check out was also smooth and I was back at the airport next morning.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Most people who don't travel much ask if I get bored with lots of flying, or find the long flights tiring. I do not. I am used to flying and can easily find myself blissfully zoned out, with or without the assistance of drink. Sometimes I can do some clear thinking and come up with brilliant off the wall ideas. Other times I just think about nothing in particular other than enjoying the rest. When I explain it to others, such as the incredulous customs officer later, they do not understand. Mere words cannot convey my feelings and thoughts.
Well put sir, +1 from me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.