Wiki Posts
Search

TR: New York to Boston, Amtrak Acela, First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by AussieDreaming
Good to see you took the time to check your facts before a typical insular North American post!
Someone's immigration application to the US of A got denied I see
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Agreed, a similar distance in the UK (London to Manchester) can be done in about two and a bit hours, on a Virgin Train. They include food in the First Class price, but not nearly as nice as Amtrak Acela! And fares here range from about GBP £40.00 to about GBP £300.00.

Another niche operator in the UK - The Wrexham & Shropshire Railway operating from Marylebone to Shewsbury & Wrexham include food in their first class tickets too, apparently it's very good but I've yet to try it.

As far as the journey time goes, it was fine for me. I was on holiday.
The cheaper option to the train was JetBlue JFK-BOS. But with airport transport, check-in time, waiting for baggage etc. I don't think it would have got their any faster. But it's a shame that these fairly new trains don't reach their full potential a lot of the time.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Except the 2.5 hour London/Brussels/Paris on Eurostar, the East and West Coast Main Lines in the UK etc where you get complimentary food/drink.

Good to see you took the time to check your facts before a typical insular North American post!
You only get complimentary food in First Class on the West Coast Line (Virgin Trains). The East Coast line (NXEC you get tea and coffee and nothing else).
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Except the 2.5 hour London/Brussels/Paris on Eurostar, the East and West Coast Main Lines in the UK etc where you get complimentary food/drink.

Oops - what is it they say about the pot, the kettle and the colour black?

Dave
Old Sep 12, 2008, 7:20 am

The trains in the USA are awful. Too slow. That's the problem. And I think that $150 is expensive.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 7:59 am

I experienced Acela first class a few years ago BWI to New York Penn Station. It was a Friday evening and I had just finished a meeting at a hotel near BWI so hopping on the train seemed like a fun idea to get back to the city. It was fine, nice big seat, plenty of room. Considering Friday afternoon crowds in the regular coaches it was nice to be in first.

The only interesting thing about the trip was that Janeane Garofalo sat down in the single seat across from me. She scrunched up on the seat and pulled her skater hoodie down over her head and basically text messaged the entire trip. Nobody bothered her.

So, celebrity sightings on the Acela.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Great trip report! It is cheaper to fly than use the Acela, but it seems Amtrak is much more conveinent.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
The trains in the USA are awful. Too slow. That's the problem. And I think that $150 is expensive.
Of course at the time I booked the exchange rate was $2 to Ł1, so to me it was a bargain. I could've travelling in Acela Business class for $89.00, and those seats looked comfy too.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Very nice report and thank you ! ^

We recently took a 6 hour train ride from Prague to Budapest. It was such a wonderful experience. We purchased F tickets but barely sat in the coach because we had a long leisurley meal in the dining car, and then sat at the bar for 2 hours and talked and drank. The food was very good btw and the service excellent.

I wish we had more rail transportation in the U.S. It is much more fun, relaxing, and less stressful than airports.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Great trip report! It is cheaper to fly than use the Acela, but it seems Amtrak is much more conveinent.
I travel pretty frequently (about once per week) between Boston and NYC on the Acela, and I'd say that for business travelers, the train is almost always cheaper. The walk-up first class fare on Acela is about $325 or so RT, while a walk-up fare on the US or DL shuttle is at least $100 more. Add in the $60 for RT cab service into Manhattan from LGA, and the train wins every time. I can't remember the last time I actually took the plane instead of the train to NYC.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:36 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by sculler1x
I travel pretty frequently (about once per week) between Boston and NYC on the Acela, and I'd say that for business travelers, the train is almost always cheaper. The walk-up first class fare on Acela is about $325 or so RT, while a walk-up fare on the US or DL shuttle is at least $100 more. Add in the $60 for RT cab service into Manhattan from LGA, and the train wins every time. I can't remember the last time I actually took the plane instead of the train to NYC.
The train would almost be quicker wouldn't it, from downtown to downtown? As well as not having to endure the delightful treatment at the hands of the TSA! (SSSS anyone?)

Dave
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
Originally Posted by thadocta
The train would almost be quicker wouldn't it, from downtown to downtown? As well as not having to endure the delightful treatment at the hands of the TSA! (SSSS anyone?)
In a perfect world (no delays at LGA or BOS, no traffic into the City), the plane might win, but I defy you to find a day that meets those criteria. So yes, the train is slighly slower by the schedule, but usually faster in reality.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:46 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by sculler1x
In a perfect world (no delays at LGA or BOS, no traffic into the City), the plane might win, but I defy you to find a day that meets those criteria. So yes, the train is slighly slower by the schedule, but usually faster in reality.
I thought as much - it is a LOOOOOOOONG time since I have been to the US, so I can't comment on this specific case, but it is the reason I use the train between London and Paris/Brussells, city-centre to city-centre the train wins hands down by an order of magnitude.

Dave
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by mad_atta
The service levels sound nice but given that the Acela is supposedly the "fast train" it would be nice if it was actually fast. NYC to Boston in 3.5 hours is barely averaging 60mph!
I'm sure our rail system (tracks, switching, control, etc) is nowhere near as integrated and sophisticated as in most of Europe. That's probably the reason.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I took the same trip last year but in "business class" which is the other class besides first on the Acela train. It was a great trip. The tracks go for a long part right at the coast. I also liked that you go from downtown to downtown. I really hope Amtrak invests some money in the Acela service to make it even faster. I would say with the right tracks it should be possible to do the trip in 2,5 to 3 hours instead of 3,5 hours.

Last edited by flyingfkb; Sep 25, 2008 at 4:27 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.