Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline

Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline

Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
New QF IFE

I've been a critic of QF's AVOD systems (due to being unreliable and much less options available compared with the likes of NZ, SQ & EK), so I was keen to see the touted new improved system. Being a short flight I didn't get to try everything out. But in the interests of research I made a good stab at it.

In first and business class there is an armrest control as well as the touchscreen controls. I can't recall if premium economy and economy had an armrest control or not, sorry. First class passengers can also use the suite master controller (used not only for IFE but also seat positions, lights, blinds, call button, etc). I noted that even when I got a flash error message on the master controller (yes I broke it fortunately near the end of the flight when I'd already had a chance to test everything out, although I'd be mighty annoyed if I couldn't adjust my seat because of a master controller flash error) the armrest controller and touchscreen controls still worked.

We were told there are 1000 options loaded, being 100 movies, 300 tv shows, etc, even some business topics to learn while in the air. The menu system was intuitive and not much different to the current AVOD system, although this was much slower to operate. This slowness unfortunately seems to be common to all mega AVOD systems. I didn't like how the menus do not rotate back to start - if you scroll to the end you can only scroll back in the opposite direction.

We were not given headsets on this flight so I can't tell the quality of them or the audio.

The tailcam was a welcome addition. Flightpath has more functionality - either select the standard view which scrolls through varying levels of detail, or manual view (I forget the exact name used by QF) where you can zoom in or out, pan, etc. I noticed there was quite a pause though - with both options it takes a while for the screen to refresh after selection/adjustment.

The system seemed to be on from gate to gate, at least tailcam and flightpath were accessible during takeoff and landing. I forgot to check if other options were also switched on.

Edited to add - the new IFE also has email and chat functionality, and from next year some time, the ability to surf the internet also. I didn't check out how these work, sorry.

Next up, the new Qantas First Class (hard product).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

eoinnz has kindly posted interior pictures of QF A380 <here>

Qantas new First Class

First class is at the front of the lower deck, but with the cockpit in front (and slightly elevated) it is not in the nose as with 747. There are 14 seats in 1-2-1 format as shown below.

Code:
1| \   XX  / |
 |\A  | \| K/|
2| \  |\F  / |
 |\A  | \  K/|
3| \  |\F  / |
 |\A  | \  K/|
4| \  |\F  / |
 |\A  | \  K/|
5| \  |\F  / |
 |\A  | \  K/|
Each seat faces forward for take-off and landing, and swivels to the side for dining, using the ottoman or in bed mode. A & F seats swivel left, K seats swivel right.

There are 2 toilets at the front of the cabin, and a galley behind the cabin.

For someone travelling alone, I think the best seats are 5A or 5K (assuming galley noise is not significant) for the improved privacy.

For a couple, no pairs of seats are particularly good. I think the best combination are 4A and 5A because you can then use 5A ottoman for dining or conversing with maximum privacy.

For someone travelling with an infant or young child, I do not think any seats are suitable. Sorry. You may understand when I explain more about the seat in the next post.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 10, 2008 at 9:46 pm
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

When Qantas released pictures of their new first class I was not impressed. Since my first first class flight with Air NZ, I've been lucky enough to try some very nice first class products, as well as some not so nice ones. (Eg Emirates A345, Singapore 747 and 77W and leased from Malaysian 747, Lufthansa 747 and A340, Qantas 747, Thai, and United 747). The impression I got from the pictures was a nice product, better than the current Qantas first class (on 747), but not as good as I'd hoped. Perhaps upper quartile rather than top notch.

I'm happy to say the pictures do make it seem worse than it is. Unfortunately this is no leading first class product either, but I guess that is deliberate strategy on Qantas' part.

... to be continued ...

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 11, 2008 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:23 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
We were told there are 1000 options loaded, being 100 movies, 300 tv shows, etc, even some business topics to learn while in the air.
So the business classes are now real!

Goldflyer should be proud of himself for predicting this so long ago.

Audrey
Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:11 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
OKIWI to CLARIS (NZOX-GBZ) on Fly My Sky Britten Norman Islander (BN-2B) in couch class

As the map linked above shows, this is a short hop. Not quite as short as the Westray to Papa Westray inter-island 2 minute flight in the hebrides, but not particularly long either. By straight line it is about 6 miles, but we fly around the hills instead of over them, adding a good 50% to the distance.

Ah yes memories. Incidentally for those of you wishing to try out the Britten Norman Islander in the UK you need to head up to Orkney and fly the route Kiwi mentions above.

Much fun to be had in couch class.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...39#post9958639

When Qantas released pictures of their new first class I was not impressed. <snip>The impression I got from the pictures was a nice product, better than the current Qantas first class (on 747), but not as good as I'd hoped. Perhaps upper quartile rather than top notch.

I'm happy to say the pictures do make it seem worse than it is. Unfortunately this is no leading first class product either, but I guess that is deliberate strategy on Qantas' part.
Interesting as the same has been said about the pictures of the new F on CX where a picture definitely doesn't paint a thousand words. Those seats are so much more when you actually get to fly in them.

Thanks for the great reporting Kiwi Flyer.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the interruption and not completing the posts about the new hard products in one go.

While not as private as the suites on Emirates or Singapore Airlines (railway carriage suites some call them), there is a suprising amount of privacy while seated or laying down. It is suprising because overall the cabin is of airiness. No overhead bins in the middle (which incidentally means those in middle F seats are likely to have inconvenience when the flight is full - can't put all carry on luggage for the F and K seated passengers in the bins accessible from their shared aisle ). Wide aisles. Each seat has a reasonable amount of space within the high walls. But, it is not easy for couples or families to see each other, except when sitting on each others' ottoman.

The window shades are electric operated. There are buttons at the bottom, or you can use the master controller. They have an inner layer which reduces glare (a little) but allows most of the light to filter through, and an outer layer which provides shade. Touch once to start the blinds moving (up or down) and once more to stop (if you want them to stop half way). From both blinds up, the inner blind comes down first followed automatically by the outer blind, and in reverse order for bringing them up.

The seat faces forward for take-off and landing. There is limited legroom but with plenty of knee room in this position. Other than take-off and landing, there does not seem much point in the forward-facing position. All the other features of the seat are best used when the seat is swivelled. I wonder why they could establish a brace position for seating at an angle to the front (as with BA, NZ, VS, CX, AC, etc) and just leave the seat in the swivelled position?

The seat belt is a 3-point one with retractable shoulder belt hidden into the back of the seat. The clasp has a button to release instead of a latch. Based on the safety video I expect all classes have a button instead of a latch, although of course the other classes have only a lap belt.

In forward facing position there is a small tray table in front suitable for putting drinks on, or a book. It is not big enough for the main meal. There is also a small pocket with the safety card, Wine Guide, Australian Way magazine and room for some small personal items.

There are a few directional airvents around the seat, and also several lighting options from small spotlight, wall light and overhead lights.

There are plenty of places to put little things, but only 1 spot to put a laptop bag or similar - under the ottoman. There are two swivel triangular drawers under the small shelf at far right. A couple of cubbies up against the seat when swiveled. The lower one of these is partially blocked when in bed mode, but as a secure place to put things while sleeping it is inferior to BA first and business, or NZ business, for example.

The main table is inbetween the cubbies and the shelf and well positioned for eating alone or with someone else at the ottoman. The table however is not as large as NZ or CX business class, so it will be cosy for two.

There is a recessed drink/glass holder in the shelf, and also behind the head when in bed mode. Good for putting a water bottle in, but watch out if resting a glass on the shelf!

There is a pop-out coat hook to hang your jacket when you first arrive while waiting to hand it to an attendant, or on landing after being handed it back. There is also a hook on the seat wall to hang the headphones so you don't need to stuff them into a cubby or have them loose on the tray table or shelf.

In swivel mode there is decent legroom regardless of how far reclined the seat is. In bed mode the length is reasonable, the bed is flat (arm rests drop to lie fairly flush) and reasonably comfortable. I didn't try it with the mattress and blanket though. The flight was just too short.

The master controller is wall mounted, and can also be lifted out of its socket. It reminds me of the one Emirates has in first class on A345 aircraft. The controller operates IFE, seat positions, blinds, lights, privacy screen, etc. It is touch screen, but also has buttons for preset seat positions, overhead lights and a crew call button. There are 7 different directions the seat can be adjusted (including massage functions), and 5 preset seating positions.

As mentioned above, I got a flash error on mine halfway through the flight

Although I didn't need to go, in the interests of research I also popped into the first class toilet. It was okay but not markedly different from the current first class toilets on Qantas 747 aircraft, perhaps a little narrower? There is a window. I forgot to check for sure, but I assume there is some way to close it otherwise some people may be in for a suprise changing before takeoff The rubbish bin opening is too small I think - on long flights I'd expect the area might get a bit grimy from people missing the entrance. The handwash pump is angled directly towards where you stand and unable to rotate. I don't like this as it is too easy to end up with liquid soap on your clothes.

I'll post a bit about the other classes, but not in as much detail since I had extremely limited time to observe.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I forgot to mention we were told the LAX-AKL route will be reverting back to all 747-400 aircraft from early 2009. No more A330s or 747-300s.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas new Business Class

There is a business class lounge onboard. It is small, dark, comfy. The seats are a real couch, not like the couch class on the Islander I flew a couple of days ago. Drinks, magazine and large screen all within easy reach. But, I think it is too small for it's intended use, at least on daylight flights. It only seats 4 or 5 and there is no room to stand around. It may be okay on overnight flights when you are travelling with a few others and want a quiet chat while the rest of the cabin is sleeping, or to escape a loud snoring seatmate.

Business class is at the front of the upper deck. There are 72 seats in 2-2-2 format, in 2 zones (zone E and zone F) but zone F has a small mini-cabin at the rear separated by emergency exits. The layout is as shown below.

Code:
  |     | L|
  |     | L|
  |__|XX  L|
  |        |
11|AB EF JK|
  |        |
12|AB EF JK|
  |        |
13|AB EF JK|
  | T    T |
dr>galleys <dr
  | T    T |
  |        |
16|AB EF JK|
  |        |
17|AB EF JK|
  |        |
18|AB EF JK|
  |        |
19|AB EF JK|
  |        |
20|AB EF JK|
  |        |
21|AB EF JK|
  |        |
22|AB EF JK|
dr>emerexit<dr
  |        |
24|AB EF JK|
  |        |
25|AB EF JK|
The seat is an updated version of the existing skybed. There is substantially more space between seats to accommodate the reduction in bed angle. The seat is perfectly adequate and nice, without being stunning. Again, I expect this is what Qantas were aiming for.

There are 2 toilets at the rear of the front cabin, and 2 more at the front of the second cabin. The galleys are inbetween the two sets of toilets.

Window seats have a narrow side-bin. There are overhead bins in the middle as well as along the sides.

The second cabin is rather long and impersonal. I think if I couldn't get a seat in the forward cabin I would select a seat in the rear mini-cabin (assuming I don't need to disembark in a hurry).

My impression was the middle pair of seats has slightly less legroom than the outer pairs of seats, particularly in the forward cabin. I don't see that as a problem though because it is still long and there is absolutely no need to climb over someone in an E or F business class seat.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 11, 2008 at 3:00 pm
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas new Premium Economy Class

Premium economy class is at the rear of the upper deck, and thus slow to disembark. There are 32 seats in 2-3-2 format as shown below.

Code:
34|AB DEF JK|
35|AB DEF JK|
36|AB DEF JK|
37|-- DEF --|
dr>emer exit<dr
38|__ DEF   |
39| T DEF JK|  (The JK seats are numbered 38 not 39.)
  | T       |
  | galleys |
  |      X  |
The seat is wider than premium economy on Air NZ, but offers less legroom. The armrests are fixed and contain the tray table.

There are 2 toilets at the rear of the cabin, a better pax : toilet ratio than business class. The galleys are at the back.

My impression was the set of 3 seats has less legroom than the outer pairs of seats. 39DEF look particularly nasty - less legroom and right next to the lavs, with the galley in behind. 38 JK have an enormous amount of legroom, but may have a problem with overhead bin space being so close to the emergency exit (sorry I forgot to check - this was where I caught up briefly with eoinnz).
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas new Economy Class

Economy class is at the rear of the lower deck, in 3 zones (zone B, zone C and zone D). Seats in each zone are differently coloured. There are 332 seats 3-4-3 format (split across the zones 135, 119 & 78) as shown below.

Code:
50|ABC glly    |
51|ABC      HJK|
52|ABC DEFG HJK|
53|ABC DEFG HJK|
54|ABC DEFG HJK|
55|ABC DEFG HJK|
56|ABC DEFG HJK|
57|ABC DEFG HJK|
58|ABC DEFG HJK|
59|ABC DEFG HJK|
60|ABC DEFG HJK|
61|ABC DEFG HJK|
62|ABC DEFG HJK|
63|ABC DEFG HJK|
64|ABC  TT  HJK|
  | T        T |
dr|            |dr
66|ABC DEFG HJK|
67|ABC DEFG HJK|
68|ABC DEFG HJK|
69|ABC DEFG HJK|
70|ABC  EFG HJK| (no 70D ;) )
71|ABC DEFG HJK|
72|ABC DEFG HJK|
73|ABC DEFG HJK|
74|ABC DEFG HJK|
75|ABC DEFG HJK|
76|ABC DEFG HJK|
77|ABC DEFG HJK|
  |  galleys   |
dr|            |dr
79| BC glly HJ | (no 79A or 79K)
80|ABC      HJK|
81|ABC DEFG HJK|
82|ABC DEFG HJK|
83|ABC DEFG HJK|
84|ABC DEFG HJK|
85|ABC DEFG HJK|
86|ABC DEFG HJK|
87| T  DEFG  T |
88|--- DEFG ---|
  |   galley   |
dr>            <dr
  \___X T  T__/
The bulkhead seats do not have a lot of legroom.
Armrests only go partway up, so not easy lying down across an empty row.
The seat slides partly forward to recline. This is a problem if you are tall since it pushes your knees into the seat in front. Tall people can't easily recline in these seats. According to smashley, the netting for feet is a bit odd and rather springy.
No power at emergency exit row seats (and I guess also bulkhead).

There are 4 toilets in the middle of the cabin, and 4 more at the rear of the cabin. The galleys are at the back.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:18 pm

What a wonderful description of the new AIrbus A 380.. Great report. I hope to do a full report on my business class trip from LAX-MEL... Once again thanks so much
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW4
What a wonderful description of the new AIrbus A 380.. Great report. I hope to do a full report on my business class trip from LAX-MEL... Once again thanks so much
Thanks. I tried to try out as much as possible, and cram as much into my dodgy memory as I could in the short flight.

I look forward to some proper trip reports on QF A380 ^. Meanwhile, those waiting for the flights alluded to in the title will not have much longer to wait (oh dear page two and I'm still rambling on about other flights).
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
In the pictures of J it appears that the front rows feet slide under the bulkhead, is this correct? Should therefore row 11 be avoided?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Good stuff^

To compliment Kiwi Flyer's maps; here's a link to the Qantas.com .pdf version (Be aware it is 700Kb):

or here's a copy of (click on it for a larger version):
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:19 am

Exit rows and bulkheads do have power points.

They are located in the arm rests between the following seats
A/B
B/C
D/E
F/G
H/J
J/K

Also not sure if you mentioned it or not but the First class shoulder belt is only required for take off and landing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.