Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 5:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Love it Kiwi Flyer.
"Couch Class a new way to fly!", a bit like SQ new J we give you the width but not the pitch!
Of course if you had to share it would be like several of my bus trips during my backpacking adventures through Asia.
Is this going to be linked to your Mini-Tour of NZ?
What about the other smaller airlines of NZ?
A new SQ J seat would take up a good portion of the cabin in the BN-2B.

Once I've posted the return flight I'll add it to the mini tour of NZ. As for flying other smaller airlines, who knows? I've flown some (unreported on FT).
Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

CLARIS to AUCKLAND (GBZ-AKL) on Fly My Sky Britten Norman Islander BN-2B in couch class

A few passengers got out, and several more boarded. We had a full load of 7 adult passengers, 1 child, 1 infant and 1 pilot for the flight back. It took a while to sort out the baggage, and some more time rearranging seating (6 of the 7 adults were big guys so quite a squeeze fitting us all onboard). This takes 20 minutes or so to sort out, not the normal 5 to 10 minute transit, and so we taxi out rather behind schedule.

We takeoff in the same direction we landed this time, but on the tarmac strip instead of the grass. A steep climb to clear the ridge and then level flying at 1500 feet or so across the Hauraki Gulf. Near Cape Colville we pass the ferry - this will take a few hours to make the trip.

The weather seems to have worsened slightly so not much view until we approach Waiheke Island. One ferry is just coming into the dock at Matiatia while another is departing.

A low buzz over the sprawling eastern Auckland suburbs to land from the east. We taxiied into a stand near the hangars, for a long walk through the prop pier to get back landside.

Although the weather could have been better it was not too bad and a very enjoyable interlude.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Was this little hop caused by withdrawal symptoms from a lack of flying recently ?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Goodness me KiwiFlyer. I seem to remember flying in a Britten Norman Islander somewhere in Western Australia almost 40 years ago. From memory it was small and very noisy. I presume it is the same maker, but a much more recent model.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Goodness me KiwiFlyer. I seem to remember flying on a Britten Norman Islander somewhere in the Western Australian outback nearly 40 years ago. From memory it was small, had seats like hammocks, and was very noisy. I guess my experience was in a much older model.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by WellingtonFF
Goodness me KiwiFlyer. I seem to remember flying on a Britten Norman Islander somewhere in the Western Australian outback nearly 40 years ago. From memory it was small, had seats like hammocks, and was very noisy. I guess my experience was in a much older model.
Sorry for the double post
Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I think it is over 20 years old. The a/c reg was ZK-DLA if someone can look it up.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
N2B-26 Islander ZK-DLA c/n 2131 also at Auckland on 13-07-2008. Built in 1982 it was delivered as G-BLOO to Taiwan to become B-12222. By April 1998 it was VH-ISL and toiled with several outfits in Queensland until it arrived in Auckland on 26-05-2006 for Sounds Air Travel & Tourism Ltd of Korimiko on 07-06-06. on 07-05-07 it was listed to Commercial Helicopters Ltd who trade as Mountain Air.
http://nzcivair.blogspot.com/2008/07...-auckland.html

On leave, rather be traveling......

Cheers, TK
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

PRE-TRIP CHECKS

While I'm counting down until the A380 flight (QF6600 is now showing on departure information), I thought I'd check loads on the round the world flights.

An idea of loads can be obtained by using one of the availability tools (KVS, Expert Flyer or seatcounter). As the airlines generally only show a maximum of 4, 7 or 9 seats willing to be sold in each booking class, it is hard to get a definitive answer. C, D, J and Z are the typical booking classes for business class in *A. A flight showing C4D4Z4 is relatively empty in business class, whereas a flight showing C1D0Z0 may be oversold. This is a generalisation as other factors need to be taken into account when interpreting (how far away the flight is, married segment logic, point of sale, fare sub-class, etc). If I'm hoping for an op-up the latter is better, but otherwise the former is better for more space and better service levels.

As you'd expect, I have 4 longhaul flights on the RTW. The best availability is C1D0Z0J0. Unfortunately 3 of the 4 flights have no first class, so no op-up opportunity. I have several medium haul flights and these range from zeroed out to C9D9Z9.

I've also been checking out weather conditions at places I visit or transfer en route. It looks to range from cold showery & wet, not yet cold enough for snow, to blazing hot (well over 100F). As usual, I don't make it easy on myself when it comes to packing appropriate clothes.

Government travel warnings indicate a few not so safe places, but I'm not worried. I just have to remember not to mention them to certain nervous friends and family.

I have a few tricky transits that I have not yet worked out how I will get checked in, nor the back-up plan if it all goes horribly wrong. I'm aware at some places if I misconnect I have alternate routings, but other places have very few flights so a misconnection would be problematic. I also have, I think, less than normal access to internet, so the preparation will be important as well as having my wits about me if situations change (eg my next flight gets cancelled) while I'm en route.

Most nights will be spent either wholly in the air, or in part in transit. So I expect I'll have some deep sleeps aboard certain flights to catch up from any deprivation.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to AUCKLAND (AKL-AKL) on Qantas A380

The A380 arrived last night and is now parked up hidden from sight, at least hidden from the general public. The new pier at the international terminal has no views from any landside area.

The front page of the NZ Herald has a picture of it parked up last night. The print edition has an error that is obvious to some, comparing the A380 with A320 flown by Qantas trans-Tasman. The online edition omits the reference to A320 being flown by Qantas.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I don't have enough time to do a post right now that will do the A380 flight justice, but suffice to say - woohoo.

Here is another NZ Herald article by someone onboard.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
http://nzcivair.blogspot.com/2008/07...-auckland.html

On leave, rather be traveling......

Cheers, TK
Slightly OT, but the photo on the blog brings back memories. I would have flown on a Tri Islander model around 1973 from I think Kalgoorlie to Kambalda, and I think it was being run by Barringer and we were using it for a magnetometer survey. So the GBI Britten Islander on the blog is obviously the same plane that I flew on almost 40 years ago. I am amazed that a nearly 40 year old plane has finished up in NZ.

Last edited by WellingtonFF; Oct 9, 2008 at 9:08 pm
Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to AUCKLAND (AKL-AKL) on Qantas A380 in first class

We weren't given a lot of details in advance. Check in at 7:30am, sharp, from the international terminal. LAG rules apply so my "LIPSTICK, MASCARA and MAKEUP" must be placed in a 1 litre plastic bag. Flight would leave at 10am and expect to finish event 11:30am. Since I couldn't afford to lose the whole morning's work I headed to the airport early to do some work in the domestic Qantas Club before wandering over to the international terminal to check in.

smashley checked in early with little wait, but by the time I arrive the queue is long. No using the premium check in lobby this time, just a snake with perhaps 10 counters for the A380 flight. At least it moves quickly with so many check in counters open for just one flight, and no bags to check. I caught up with a couple of people I know while I shuffled forward.

When it was my turn the agent couldn't find my name. He tried a few times, swiping my passport, then my QFF card, then typing my name in. He got a supervisor over and she tried. I tapped my foot and resisted turning - I could feel the stabbing looks from others "who is this plonker who is trying to blag a seat on this flight?". I knew I was on the flight and not offloaded as the Qantas Club agent had known I was invited and checked I had a good seat (without telling me what it was). The supervisor went away and found my seat number. When she told the agent to enter 4K it confirmed I was in first which I had dared not to hope for (but couldn't help myself from dreaming of)! Thanks Qantas.

Alas they had no first boarding passes so just the black business class one for me. That finally sorted I headed off to find smashley.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

We were directed to the crew lane at immigration (on the far right), and did not have to show our photo ID (but did at check-in). The "D" sticker on our boarding pass was enough to get through. At the WTMD the station directly in front of us had a small queue, but the next one over had no-one so we went through there. We have to go past it regardless so I am not sure why people feel compelled to queue at the closest station. Using my usual tricks I avoided the random wanding, but smashley wasn't as lucky.

We went to the lounge since smashley hadn't visited the Qantas ones at AKL before. I had intended grabbing a quick breakfast and coffee, since we still had a long time before departure and I was sure it was too early for speeches, etc. However on entry we were told that access to the gate was going to be closed in 10 minutes or so, so we shouldn't dally in the lounge I had a shot of espresso before heading back out.

Down left along right left right up. I can do this walk in my sleep, and given the early hours of some of my departures often do walk this and suddenly reach my gate with no awareness of having walked there. The new pier B (gates 15 & 16) is down a corridor that is almost hidden to the right, beside the first duty free shop on the top level and to the right. Signage certainly could be improved. There is a BP check at the entrance to the corridor to keep out the riff-raff/gatecrashers I suppose.

There is a steady flow of people in the corridor, with many stopping along the way to take pictures of the A380 sitting to our left parked at gate 16 on the end. There are some moving walkways, but as with the arrivals area which opened earlier this year these are short, too narrow to easily pass others and still leave a lot of walking in between. I much prefer the ones at SIN.

There are no shops in the new pier, although I guess they could be added fairly easily and with AKL's fetish for extracting maximum possible revenue out of passengers, airlines and shops alike I expect it will not be long before there are some along here. All EK A380 flights will use this pier, plus other a/c at busy times. Today is the official opening of the pier and it still has the unmistakeable new smell. The big windows provide a decent view of the A380, and show a reasonably fine day with scattered low puffs of cumulus (cotton wool cloud).

There is a large crowd as expected. I guess the flight will be almost full. The crowd is a mixture of minor celebrities, captains of industry, travel agents and other travel industry people, media and a few lucky Qantas staff. Some nice touches are invites for several Cure Kids kids, and also a couple of AKL bluecoats (volunteer staff that help eg with tea and coffee for international arrivals, man the airport info desks, etc).

There are some refreshments laid out (tea, coffee, juice, water) and mini muffins. It gets quite airless and noisy after a while. Eventually at 9am we have the speeches. Why the push for us to get to the gate area so early if we just stand around and talk amongst ourselves for 75 minutes? I had thought that we'd board early and get a chance to wander around the aircraft before take-off but clearly this will not be the case.

The speeches are thankfully short. There is an obligatory dig at Air NZ (our new business class seats can be reclined to flat without getting out of the seat). Then it is time to board. Business and premium economy first. Then economy, with first last. No priority boarding for status
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

If you'll forgive me I'll next post about the flight and then come back to the new Qantas first class and other product changes.

There was naturally a lot of excitement before the doors shut, and even after, as we all wanted to check out the new suites and see how everything worked. Media were keen to check it all out, plus travel agents, etc. It took some doing but eventually everyone was settled in their allocated seats and we pushed back a little early.

With a new aircraft type comes a new safety video, and this time a new brace position for first class passengers due to the suite design. The tail camera was set to default on our screens ^

We had a very slow taxi out to the runway. Amazing how many airport workers managed to find an excuse to be on the apron or some other vantage points to see the A380 lumber past. Every spot the full length of the airport had people watching. On the taxiway the wings hung over both sides, with grass being roughly where the outer engines are. As we passed the prop gates a little Beech 1900D lifted off immediately to my right. It seemed tiny. Even a 737 waiting at a hold point on the adjacent taxiway on the other side of us looked small as we rolled past.

A short pause at the end of the runway and we are in the takeoff roll before most people realise. It is very quiet inside. I remember from seeing the A380 outside (eg at Asian Aerospace show a couple of years ago) that it was quiet. There is applause as we lift off.

Flight time is announced as 45 minutes - much less than the advertised 75 minutes.

We do a low level flyover the central city with Skytower seemingly just outside the window. Once out over the Hauraki Gulf we climb and once high enough we are allowed out of our seats although not allowed to wander the a/c. We pass over Great Barrier Island in no time at all - much faster (and in much more comfort) than my flight from a few days prior. We turn and head for Whangarei. Nice views of the Gulf, islands, Coromandel Ranges, and Northland's rolling hills and harbours.

Service is of course not normal. Drinks of Charles Heidsieck, oj or water; and canapes are served. In the first class cabin, no one is in their seats for long (me included). Trying out functions, taking pictures, chatting. Media swarming everywhere making it difficult to move. I get missed in the drinks rounds and have to ask for one.

One the way back down the east coast of Northland we're told ATC has delayed our landing due to the many international arrivals at this time of day, and we are swinging past Piha on the way back to fill in the time (with nice views of the massive Kaipara Harbour en route and a low pass over the Waitakere Ranges before crossing the central city once more. The usual turn over the edge of the Hunua Ranges and in to land.

But wait, there's more.

We pull out with a quiet and seemingly gentle additional thrust. The pilot quickly comes on the PA to reassure us and explains instrument indications of wind shear are to blame. So we got a bonus pass over the city again, and put into a holding pattern near Rangitoto Island before we ultimately land about 1:40 after we started. Lots of people were watching us land from the road and bridge at the end of the runway. I'm surprised there wasn't an accident from the distraction. A slow taxi back to the terminal.

Here is a map of our approximate flight path.

Before disembarking we walked through the entire aircraft, so I'll report on the other cabins, as well as the new first class hard product, shortly.

The walk through took some time, and with our later than expected arrival I was in a hurry so speed-walked down the pier to arrivals. Before reaching arrival duty free we were handed a QF A380 tote bag, with a poster, a first flight envelope by Australia Post + set of stamps in a display booklet, and a QF A380 2008 pin.

People were on hand to make sure we didn't buy any duty free. The far left lane at immigration had been reserved for us, more speedwalking past the baggage carousels and we took the left hand lane at customs for domestic passengers.

It was an enjoyable morning and I'm grateful to Qantas for inviting me aboard.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 10, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.