Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The British Airways Premium Experience (Part 1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The British Airways Premium Experience (Part 1)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Fantastic trip report. Don't let one sour apple who is completely off base with his assessment deter you from writing future ones. I look forward to another TR by you.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
We did look at San Fransisco, but although the hotels were cheaper the flights were a lot more expensive (£1000 more). We wanted to go to New York to experience the place, and had already done the West coast last year (allbeit of Canada and not the States ). I agree that the price we paid was a little steep for two return business class tickets, but this was pre-sale.

Of course there's always the feeling of 'I could have got here in exactly the same time but a lot cheaper if I flew economy', but as the flight is part of the holiday for me, business or first class seemed like a more sensible option.
Thoroughly enjoyed your trip report and the great photos. I've got my first BA First coming up in November and am looking forward to it and seeing how it compares to QF and the lamented SAA First.

Like you, for me the flight is part of the holiday too and if you know the return is going to be comfortable (as I'm sure you'll find CW) you don't spend the last few days of your holiday dreading the flight home.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Murdoch
Like you, for me the flight is part of the holiday too and if you know the return is going to be comfortable (as I'm sure you'll find CW) you don't spend the last few days of your holiday dreading the flight home.
Club World was actually a bit of a let down (I suppose anything would be after First, though ).

The return trip report is on its way - I just keep remembering more stuff that I didn't put in my notes, so it's taking a little longer than planned...
Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:44 pm

Excellent trip report

I've got my first First at the end of September with my g/f (who thinks she's on the UD in CW) and I'll be aiming to write a trip report on my return... not sure if it'll match your high standards.

Am very much looking forward to Part II.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
Club World was actually a bit of a let down (I suppose anything would be after First, though ).

The return trip report is on its way - I just keep remembering more stuff that I didn't put in my notes, so it's taking a little longer than planned...
great one! ^^^ can't wait for CW installment...
Cheers,
pcf
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:27 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
At least he didn't use the term "gate lice" or others in the same vein. I notice such type of tone in a number of posts on FT. Some just gain pleasure by sticking their nose up in the air, I guess. I chalk it up to "new money."

Great trip report. The photos went along nicely with the narrative (and the blurry pictures looked good, too). I can't wait to get try out Terminal 5 and BA First.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sciguy0504
At least he didn't use the term "gate lice" or others in the same vein. I notice such type of tone in a number of posts on FT. Some just gain pleasure by sticking their nose up in the air, I guess. I chalk it up to "new money."
The comments that could be taken as snobbish are just tounge-in-cheek to add a bit of humour. Without a bit of light heartedness, it would become a bit boring. Many trip reports I've seen include such comments. I've done my fair share of travelling in economy, and am by no means rich, so I feel I can make such comments.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sciguy0504

Great trip report. The photos went along nicely with the narrative (and the blurry pictures looked good, too). I can't wait to get try out Terminal 5 and BA First.
Here we go, I am prepared to be called "snide" again as in another thread. But I have the following questions. Sorry, my morning coffee has not kicked in and I am still a bit cranky.

What is the politically correct term for the irrational herding tendencies of so many travelers?

What is the politically correct term for the irrational blocking of the door by 50 people in rows 5-10/10-15 that keep the actual boarding group from saying "excuse me, excuse me" or the gate agent from requesting a clear path to the door?

How do we vent our frustrations so that we lower our blood pressure but do not offend anyone?

Now, back on topic and to the main point of my post.

Genius1, I look forward to your fresh, youthfully exuberant view of your experience in part 2. Please write it your way, in your style, and do not sanitize it for anyone. Just always be prepared with your flame retardant suit as there will always be at least one offended FT with hurt feelings and a flame thrower.

Cheers
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For all those who think I've forgotten to write the return trip, I've finally finished writing the inbound trip report, and have just got to format it so that it all displays correctly in the forum.

It should be up by the end of tomorrow (8 August).
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: BA gold
Thanks for your trip report.

I had tickets booked in CW for my wife and i coming up soon, I was undecided on whether to use my hard earned miles to upgrade one leg.

After reading your wonderful report my mind was made up and my darling wife and i will be enjoying our 1st First at the end of this month.

Thanks so much and i'm looking forward to part 2.

Jim
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Part 2 is now up and ready to be read! Please click here.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:49 am

Great Trip Report & thanks for posting all those pics as well.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by optimusflyimus
Great Trip Report & thanks for posting all those pics as well.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Genius1. Having been on the boards for many years, I can say you have completed one of the nicest and most genuine trip reports I have seen ever. Thank you, I felt like I was on the trip with you both.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: Thai Airways - Star Alliance Silver
Thank you for the wonderful TR. BA lounges in T5 looks great (spotted some nice booze in the Concorde bar as well).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.