Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

IAH-FRA-OSL-SVO-HKG-BKK-FRA-IAH on LH, SU & TG in F & J (Lots of Pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH-FRA-OSL-SVO-HKG-BKK-FRA-IAH on LH, SU & TG in F & J (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Nice meal service on a regional jet. Was it all business class?
No. IIRC, this aircraft had 16 Biz seats, with coach in the back. I was in 2F (window) for that flight, and got some great views of the Baltic Coast.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Okay, now updated to include Sheraton Palace Moscow Junior Suite Photos, a bit of Moscow Sightseeing, and pictures from my SVO-HKG flight on an SU 767-300.

Next Up:

Harborview Room at Sheraton Hong Kong
TG F & J Lounges at HKG
Old TG F HKG-BKK
Thai Royal First Lounge at BKK
New Thai J BKK-FRA (seat only, no meal photos).
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:11 am

Ooh la la! ^
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great trip report ALCO, looking forward to the rest of it. ^

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Eventually, another check-in agent arrived and opened the business-class desk. I hurried over and presented by paper tickets. Not a word was mentioned about the ridiculously low fare I had paid for a one-way J ticket to Moscow...
How much was your "mistake" fare?

After thoroughly exploring the FCT, and making a general pest of myself by constantly snapping photos...
I know exactly what you mean. When I first starting taking pics, I was a little self conscious, but now I don't think twice about it. My wife thinks I need serious therapy.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
How much was your "mistake" fare?
$383
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:34 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by SFO777
My wife thinks I need serious therapy.
Great post !! ^
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
[QUOTE=Anglo Large Clawed Otter;9977813]I would sum-up Aeroflot as follows: Amazing in the air, and a nightmare on the ground

That, in my experience, sums it up perfectly. In the air, Aeroflot beats any European airline in Business class for Intra-European flights, and probably third best (after BA and VS) for Business long-haul. Really a great experience to fly them.

On the ground though, it is simply inadequate. With the arrival of SVO-3 the things on the ground for them will change to the better.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I can never understand how people afford to live in Moscow with such astronomical prices for basically anything. I've never been there and I'd love to go but everything, it seems, in Moscow is Tokyo or London-priced.

Nice report! Like the pics. I wonder if Aeroflot had a business "class" back in the USSR days
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by civicmon
I wonder if Aeroflot had a business "class" back in the USSR days
Actually, it did. Kind of funny for "communist" society back then.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
When will the next installments be posted?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
When will the next installments be posted?
It is up now. Just one more installment to go.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
It is up now. Just one more installment to go.
Excellent report!

You got my heart racing when I read that Aeroflot called you and claimed your ticket was invalid (I am flying on the mistake fare next month). Glad it was just a mix-up.

FCT at FRA looks wonderful! ^
Old Aug 7, 2008, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just stumbled on this. Excellent report, ALCO...fantastic read!
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:06 am

Looking forward to the next installments. Your pictures are fantastic!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Downtown is much more expensive than the rest of the city . Look at it this way: Would you judge the cost of living in New York just by looking at hotel prices in Manhattan?

Also, the amount you pay largely depends on whether or not you speak Russian. Not that many establishments have English-speaking employees, and the ones that do are usually much more expensive.

BTW, there is a very easy and cheap way to get from Sheremetevo to the Sheraton if you don't have a lot of luggage. Just take the minibus from the airport to the Rechnoy Vokzal metro station and then take the metro to the Belorusskaya Metro Station (same line). Sheraton is about 5-10 mins from the metro.

Considering Moscow's traffic, this method will usually be much faster than a taxi and will cost you approximately $2 or so.

With a little bit of Russian and some research, Moscow can be very cheap.

Originally Posted by civicmon
I can never understand how people afford to live in Moscow with such astronomical prices for basically anything. I've never been there and I'd love to go but everything, it seems, in Moscow is Tokyo or London-priced.

Nice report! Like the pics. I wonder if Aeroflot had a business "class" back in the USSR days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.