Search

My experience with flying SAA from JNB to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Angry My experience with flying SAA from JNB to LHR

Hi

I have just come back from a vacation in South Africa and we chose to fly SAA as they gave us a good price and it is a part of StarAlliance. I have used them before and I have been pretty pleased with their service once in the air. But flying home this week was a bit stressful.

It started out when we came to the airport and they weighed our suitcases. I am not sure if this is an airport ground staff issue or SAA is also responsible but the weigh in process was unnecessarily stressful. The staff was not aware of the additional weight limit for silver & gold bonus card holders and seemed more concerned about charging us for excess baggage than listening to us. After much back and forth they finally realised that as our final destination was Norway, and we did not actually have to pay for the alleged excess baggage. It would have saved us all a lot of time and effort if they had been better informed of the regulations. So why would you have to pay extra if the final destination is UK and not Norway??

As I have a SAS Eurobonus gold card we opted to make use of the business check-in. After 1 hour of waiting in the queue, we were reconsidering as the economy queue was certainly flowing in comparison. Once we finally got to the front of the queue our disappointment grew. Apparently the flight was overbooked by 21 people. The SAA employee made a few calls and checked the system. It seemed the only option was for us to overnight and take the flight at the same time on April 2. It was unfortunate that we had to suggest other options to him - business class seats, check other Star Alliance airlines, etc. We are pretty seasoned travellers and thus aware that compensations are meant to be given to travellers in certain circumstances. We were ready to opt for another night in Johannesburg but it was only when we began to question exactly which hotel in Sandton, transportation to/from and compensation that he left to consult with his manager/supervisor and upon his return 2 seats were suddenly available. Are you entitled to compensation if you have to stay overnight?

So we did get a couple of seats and we did get home but it was a bit stressful. They have to do something about the check in area at the airport in Joburg.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: SAA Silver, United, BA
SAA Check in OR Tambo

The physical check-in area should improve when SAA move to the new SAA terminal some time before 2010. I agree that SAA need to train the staff properly - the weighing system is cumbersome and my daughter and my wife and I have all also had hassles at check-in.

SA Traveller

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.