Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

The author is eightblack .
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:57 am

Aircraft Lavatories

Great trip reports people, keep posting. Can I make a request? Can you post some pictures of aircraft lavatories please as I am interested to know how much emphasis is placed on lavatories in terms of; look, comfort, hygiene, lighting, colours, complimentary toiletries etc etc. All classes for all airlines please!!!

This is an area overlooked by airlines but in fact has the highest footfall area of the aircraft interior.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by grahamh
Can you post some pictures of aircraft lavatories please as I am interested to know how much emphasis is placed on lavatories in terms of; look, comfort, hygiene, lighting, colours, complimentary toiletries etc etc. All classes for all airlines please!!
Yuck, no thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
I've only shot toilets in a trip report once - and that was aboard ANA's 787 (with the built in Toto Washlette feature).

I skip past reporting them otherwise.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kevincm
I've only shot toilets in a trip report once - and that was aboard ANA's 787 (with the built in Toto Washlette feature).
I skip past reporting them otherwise.
Some are nicer than most.

Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's something I'd like to add: Respond to ALL comments, even the negative ones.

I've been reading a lengthy report by a prolific Trip Report writer who's not without some controversy over some of his choice of subject matter for his photos. Recently, there was a discussion about photographing the crew members with some insightful comments by posters. The writer ignored any comment that was negative but chose to thank any that were complimentary of this report.

Now, as a writer myself, I certainly prefer it when people are laudatory. However, I think all views should be respected and if you are going to respond to people, don't ignore the critics.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
CMK10, I think that you've made an excellent point. May I suggest that you post your comment on the TR in question and invite the author to respond?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Calling for a moratorium on the word "quite"

This is a report of reading trip reports. I thoroughly enjoy this section of the website and check it multiple times per day. I am pleading with posters to challenge themselves to find adjectives besides "quite" to use in their writing. It seems this word is becoming one of the most over used words in the English language. Some of these reports are using it in ever other sentence.

I appreciate these reports, enjoy seeing the pictures, and have used much of the information contained in them to aid my own trips. Just, enough of the word "quite" please.

Don't bother replying, "I find this post quite distasteful." That is the obvious arm chair internet smart a$$ remark.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
I understand your concern. I, however, do not share it. I just looked at about 10 trip reports and did a search for the word "quite". I see two reports with more than a couple of instances of it. The others had very few to none of this word.

I fear that we could all become grammar police on these reports if we really wanted to. A gentle recommendation to care for English grammar (understanding that there are a number of non-native English speakers here) is fine. Calling for a moratorium seems a bit extreme.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I'm not trying to be flip, but to the OP, I would ask "why"?

There's nothing wrong with its use as an adverb. I haven't gone to the trouble that Enki has of trying to find the "problematic" reports, but I assume the word is being used technically correctly, just being overused.

This isn't even a matter for the grammar police - this is a matter of personal taste. It's like calling the police because your neighbor has parked a blue car in front of their house, and you hate the color blue. The dispatcher would laugh and laugh until they disconnected and sent the officers to your house for making an abusive 911 call.

Do we all get to pick an adverb that we don't like? I'll go with "stupendously."

Admittedly, I might be getting trolled here by responding, but akersnl has been around here for a long time, so I don't think so, and replied seriously in return.

Greg
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
I'm not trolling. Perhaps trying to be half funny while sitting at my desk on a Friday afternoon a bit bored.

Ever since a trip to Australia earlier this year, where everyone used "quite" to describe everything, I have become hyper sensitive to it. Seems like everyone these days is using it as a crux word. I've even started noticing it novels and it is driving me crazy. I re-read The Hobbit the other day, and it has to be the most common word in the book. It was really ruining my experience of one of my favorite childhood books.

Or, I could just need to lay off the sauce a bit.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by akersnl
Or, I could just need to lay off the sauce a bit.
Or pour it on heavier...

Happy Friday!

Greg
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by akersnl
Ever since a trip to Australia earlier this year, where everyone used "quite" to describe everything, I have become hyper sensitive to it. Seems like everyone these days is using it as a crux word.
I can appreciate that. I have to say, though, that I am tempted to write this: "Everyone totally needs to take responsibility in quite a significant way, so that literally we can seriously deal with this."
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Quite right dear, quite right!

I'll get my coat.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by enki
I can appreciate that. I have to say, though, that I am tempted to write this: "Everyone totally needs to take responsibility in quite a significant way, so that literally we can seriously deal with this."
Like, I mean, you're so right, you know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.