Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by akersnl
The other rule I would like to enact is that no trip report can be started unless you are posting details of at least one portion of your trip. So many threads are started these days that are, "I'm thinking of taking such and such trip in 2014 and here is my place holder..."

And then you don't get any updates for days and days and a millennium. These threads then blow up into 3-4 page odysseys of people replying "can't wait," or "looking forward to," before the OP ever posts a single true detail of their trip.
I'll second that! ^^
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by akersnl
Quite annoying
So I'm a little late to this party, but may I suggest an alternative to that vexing word? I was inspired by this anonymous old poem...

A Quate So Story
Anonymous

A youth who wore canary spats,
The very latest thing in hats,
And, on his cheeks, two little mats
Of whisker (fluff, at any rate),
Climbed languidly into the train,
As if exhausted by the strain,
And when I said it looked like rain,
He answered, ‘Quate!’

Disturbed by his reply, I said,
‘Possibly it might snow, instead,’
He murmured, ‘Quate,’ and turned his head
As if he found my accents grate!
At this, I ceased to be polite,
And asked him frankly, ‘Am I right
In thinking what you mean is, “Quite”?’
He answered, ‘Quate!’

I shouted, ‘Do you realise
Of all the asinine replies
Yours is the worst one could devise?
And, further, I should like to state
You mispronounce the wretched word,
Making it ludicrous, absurd!’
Again the awful thing occurred:
He muttered, ‘Quate!’

I rose in wrath; I kicked and beat
The languid youth from head to feet,
And stuffed him underneath the seat;
And then, in tones made hoarse with hate,
I thundered, ‘Are you satisfied
That it was fully time you died?’
Bloodless of face and filmy-eyed
He whispered, ‘Quate!’
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I just don't know...my last trip review has nearly 6,000 views and only two comments...what don't you all like?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I just don't know...my last trip review has nearly 6,000 views and only two comments...what don't you all like?
That I have to link to your blog. I'm far more likely to make the effort to comment if someone made the effort to post it to Flyertalk.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by CMK10
That I have to link to your blog. I'm far more likely to make the effort to comment if someone made the effort to post it to Flyertalk.
I'm not 100% how to photolink to ftalk, but if I am going to go through the effort to write 1,000 word+ posts with photos, it seems like torture to have to reproduce them again on ftalk.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
it seems like torture to have to reproduce them again on ftalk.
There are ways. I write all of my trip reports in Word, with the FT code included which would mean that if I needed to port the report to another site (which I don't) I could simply do a 'find/replace' on the FT code and then it's translated for the new site.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:35 pm

You can just take the HTML from a blogpost and convert it to BBCode:
http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Something that makes a great report is a story. No one wants to read your diary 'today I woke up and got on a A330-200, here are pictures, I slept good, good food, then I checked into the Hyatt" It was great

Tell a story. If there is no story just show pictures with titles and leave it.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I like seeing things or services I might aspire to have, use, stay at or whatever. I like reading about the extra services or attention premium travel gives e.g. express lanes, no line ups at check in etc.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Couple interesting articles recently on overused travel cliches.
Here's the CNN one.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If I want to report on each trip I take can I just have one thread where I update each new trip or should I start a new thread for each trip? I'm not sure how interesting my trips will be to others, so having it all as one thread might be less clutter and allow me to more easily reference my trips.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
catbox9, it is preferable to post one complete trip as one thread and subsequent trips as seperate threads. When I say 'complete trip' I mean a collection of flights or other journeys that take place as part of one overall experience.

I hope that makes sense.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by matthandy
catbox9, it is preferable to post one complete trip as one thread and subsequent trips as seperate threads. When I say 'complete trip' I mean a collection of flights or other journeys that take place as part of one overall experience.

I hope that makes sense.
Sounds good! My next trip is a Wednesday redeye to (I'll leave it a surprise) so I'll post it here.

Maybe I should start a blog somewhere and link it to my FT trip reports that way I can have an organized place to compile all my trip reports and if nobody reads it, that's okay.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:49 am

scripts

Originally Posted by newaarondavidson
Something that makes a great report is a story. No one wants to read your diary 'today I woke up and got on a A330-200, here are pictures, I slept good, good food, then I checked into the Hyatt" It was great

Doesn't that seem a little harsh? Of course some script are going to be more entertaining than others, but it takes some effort to post a TR on here, and for some a certain confidence.

In a way I do agree that something unusual in the story is gong to be a more compelling read.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by newaarondavidson

Originally Posted by Thomastraveller
Doesn't that seem a little harsh? Of course some script are going to be more entertaining than others, but it takes some effort to post a TR on here, and for some a certain confidence.

In a way I do agree that something unusual in the story is gong to be a more compelling read.
A little harsh, yes, but I agree. I love to write and photograph and I take detailed notes and lots of pictures from every trip but I only post about three reports a year, if that. The checklist should be:

- Is it interesting to you?
- Is it interesting to everyone else?

If both are yes, then post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.