Further Tales of First Class Decadence as Experienced On British Airways

Further Tales of First Class Decadence as Experienced On British Airways

Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Pictures are working fine here now!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Images working well now. Great as usual ^
And you eat all that food (on the main fotki site) ???
Hope you are not drinking too much beer on the road to Alice
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:02 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ss278
How could you!

I saw your moniker and thought, AHA! A grand adventure awaits! I immediately went to my liquor cabinet, poured myself a glass of The McCallan 18yr, got a good cigar and sat down to enjoy.....a tease!

Well, I guess I'm going to have to finish the scotch and cigar. But this does give me a good excuse to do it again. I thank you for that.

And hurry up with the report. Your public anxiously awaits!
I too was so excited to see that you have posted your latest report. It has been a long time (too long) since your last entertaining adventure!!! I was wondering just the other day where you were spending your winter vacation. In anticipation of reading your report I walked the dog and again opened a nice bottle of Cabernet. FAI to SYD and I only had 2 glasses. Oh well, I can't wait for the rest of the trip to finish the bottle. You are by far one of the true great FT'er trip reporters. You take the reader into your wonderful world aloft. You joy in traveling is compelling. I reclined my seat and after a few minutes of reading your wonderful dialogue, I was picturing my last sojourn in BA FIRST. Thank you so much for all the details. It I hope you are having a wonderful holiday.^^^
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:35 am

Programs: QF SQ VS
Seat 2A.... Great trip report, Allways enjoy your slant on F travel.

Small point but looking through all your great photos I noticed that steel knives and forks were available on all sectors except the one into Australia.

Doesnt it just take some of the shine off F travel... it does for me.

I just cant understand how dumb the Australian authorities are by sticking to this rule. All other carriers have reverted to steel after a plastic period so why cant Australia.

Keep up the good work Seat 2A
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:00 am

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Another great trip report by Seat 2A ^^. Can't wait for the rest..
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: VS Gold
I didn't know that routing was allowed (transatlantic) - did you have to use more miles than a regular oneworld award (145K) ?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Seat 2A is using AS miles, not AA
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Lightbulb

Alrighty now ~

I've arrived in Alice Springs (Drove a VW camper up from Adelaide - the first VW camper I've ever driven or been in that didn't have a Grateful Dead sticker or two on it!), checked into my motel, got the air conditioner cranked and have just popped an ice cold Cooper's Pale Ale. Now to properly address some of the comments and questions...

Steady EDI "Really, Seat2A, keeping us all in suspenders like this...
ss278 "How could you!

I hope you guys found the the report to be worthy of the wait! Regular readers like EDI and 278 know that I normally like to present my reports in their entirety rather than incrementally. I got so far behind on this one that I thought I'd better get something out soon or the report wouldn't be out until a month after my first flights.

I think a big part of the problem for me was trying to report on BA's First Class for the 10th time. The hardest part of writing this trip report was attempting to do so in a way that sounded fresh rather than redundant relative to my other 10 trip reports on the same subject. In this regard, I hope I've succeeded at least somewhat.

So really now, be truthful: At this point do any of you really want me to write about the return trip via Singapore (777), London and Miami (747s)? I should imagine you're all a bit sick of reading about BA's First Class and looking at all those food photos by now... Besides, I'd hate to be suspended by the FlyerTalk braintrust for excessive reporting on BA FIRST...

ss278: "I immediately went to my liquor cabinet, poured myself a glass of The McCallan 18yr, got a good cigar and sat down to enjoy"
upgrade lover: "In anticipation of reading your report I walked the dog and again opened a nice bottle of Cabernet."

Can I come over and read trip reports with you guys sometime?

Flyingfox: "You have taken some excellent pictures in some bad lighting conditions on the plane! Very difficult - well done! They usually don't turn up quite as well!"

I have a Canon SD850IS - nothing fancy but pretty nice for a small camera. Given the difficult lighting conditions onboard the aircraft, I usually take 6-8 photos per item using both Automatic and Manual settings along with an SCN setting that has a feature for indoor flourescent lighting. Amongst all those photos, I'm bound to get at least one halfway decent photo of any given item.

greggwiggins: "Personally, I am very relieved that a full Seat 2A trip report isn't here yet. I still have work to do today"

C'mon now, Gregg ~ this one's only 10,977 words, a short story by my standards. Maybe I should publish the reports incrementally from now on... Shall we take a vote? By the way, I downed a couple of Little Creatures Pale Ales in your honor last week. Now working on a case of Coopers Original Pale Ales. They go down well on these hot dry days in the Northern Territories.

Sorry about the brief disruption of the photos. I swear - I never once received notification from Fotki that money was due. Regardless, I've paid for two more years so we're good to go now.

Finally, thanks to all of you who've taken time to leave your kind comments. Speaking on behalf of all of us who take the time to write and put these trip reports together - it's alot of work that is certainly validated by the positive responses posted by such well travelled readers as yourselves.

And, for those of you who aren't "well traveled" yet, hopefully these reports might inspire you to become well traveled sooner rather than later.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:44 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
So really now, be truthful: At this point do any of you really want me to write about the return trip via Singapore (777), London and Miami (747s)?
You bet we do!

True story : I was on the phone to another EDI-based FTer the night before last and I said that reading your latest TR had really fired me up and helped dispel any jaded feelings I was having about BA. I can call said FTer as a witness if necessary.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
" Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
So really now, be truthful: At this point do any of you really want me to write about the return trip via Singapore (777), London and Miami (747s)?"

Of course we do, some of us wait all year for another of your great reports. BTW where is the portion about LCCs of Australia?? Waiting expectingly.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:02 pm

Fantastic TR plus almost as good as being there myself! Cheers and enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Putting Words In Another Flyertalker's Keyboard

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
At this point do any of you really want me to write about the return trip via Singapore (777), London and Miami (747s)?
As Goalie might say, "H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks, YES!"
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Great report Seat 2A. I look forward to the trip back and hope you enjoy my homeland.

Did you ever consider QF from LHR? IMHO their food far surpasses that which BA has to offer. Perhaps as a result of flying too many F sectors on BA in quick succession I have found the menu to be sadly lacking in variety.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Amazing report as usual. Thank you!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:32 pm

Amazing report - I'm now off to read you past trip reports. Makes me even more excited about my first FIRST trip with BA in September from LHR-SFO... even more so because my g/f doesn't yet know we're flying FIRST

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.