How to add photos to reports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum

Hi, am planning to write a review of a series of flights next week on 3 different airlines, Air NZ, Virgin Atlantic, Oasis Hong Kong. Anyway, I want to add photos into the posts as some other reviewers have done.

How exactly do I do this? I have not been able to find this in the faq, and do i need to manage the flie size of photos my self or is this done automatically?

Also, is the "protocol" if there is such a thing, to have a different post for each segment or is it better to just put all flights into one post?

thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL, AA
How to imbed your photos depends on the host site you are using. There is a great sticky with helpful info. in the travel photography forum.

I don't know that there is an official "protocol", but one long post can be hard to read. So my preference, especially if you are including photos would be to break up the report. At the same time, I wouldn't want to see a 100 post trip report.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You need to size them yourself. They can be added using [ img ] and [ /img ] tags (without the spaces).

If you have lots of pics embedded then it is helpful to mention that in the title so those who have slow connections can avoid your thread. Otherwise use a photo hosting service and just put the link in your report.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
One of the icons on the toolbar is for "insert photo". You can link to whatever site your photo is stored on using that tool. The photos on my recent Rome trip report are linked to my smugmug site, for instance. I'm able to select the photo size as part of the link (small, med, large, original).

Would be nice is we had a test area here on FT so folks could play with these features.

Here, for instance, is a photo with the small setting, then medium, and then large, all set from smugmug.

Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sefty added this thumbnail tip in this thread Not sure if it works with all image hosting sites

I suggest centred image "Thumbnails" < 10Kb, with embedded links to larger versions.
Syntax:
"[CENTRE][URL=<image url>[IMG]<image thumbnail URL>[/IMG]<new line>
<Image Title/Desc>[/URL][/CENTER]"
e.g.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:18 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by tom911
Would be nice is we had a test area here on FT so folks could play with these features.
That's actually a great idea. Why don't you start a "TEST" thread in the travel photography forum?

I've been using this method to try things: "Reply" to a thread, click "Preview Post" and click away from the thread without choosing "Submit Reply".
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by scoow
That's actually a great idea. Why don't you start a "TEST" thread in the travel photography forum?

I've been using this method to try things: "Reply" to a thread, click "Preview Post" and click away from the thread without choosing "Submit Reply".
Ive been doing that as well, in preparation for an upcoming trip report. I noticed that this site has a photo gallery which doesnt seem well used, so i will set up an album in that location.
Old May 1, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: QF WP - (I WISH!)
Can you make it so that images appear in posts instead of just having useless links? (us guys over at A.net dont seem to have a problem)

cmon people, we need to keep with the times!

it is too hard to read a trip report when i have to open each link just to view one lousy picture...
Old May 1, 2008, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by wicked-will
Can you make it so that images appear in posts instead of just having useless links?
They do, on some reports.

It's up to the poster, whether they link or embed.
Old May 1, 2008, 4:59 am

From now on,

all posters must use embedded images.
Old May 1, 2008, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you make it so that images appear in posts instead of just having useless links? (us guys over at A.net dont seem to have a problem)

cmon people, we need to keep with the times!

it is too hard to read a trip report when i have to open each link just to view one lousy picture...
Also depends on the settings in your own profile:- My flyertalk, settings & option, edit options (tick the last box)

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)
Old May 1, 2008, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Also depends on the settings in your own profile:- My flyertalk, settings & option, edit options (tick the last box)

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)
Thanks,

seems to do the trick, but still, why should i have to do that?
Old May 1, 2008, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as stated

My preference is no images, unless I am reading a TR by Seat 2A Its all your choice
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks,

And why should I have to take extra time to add images in a thread when I've already uploaded them to my photo site & simply clicking on the link will take you to the image? Goes both ways...

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:07 pm

When I open a picture to print on a Trip report all I get is an Image number. I don't thin kit's enough to get it to work. On Airliners.net I get the complete address which is very long and it works there fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.