Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

UK to South Africa at 7 hours notice and my First BA First

UK to South Africa at 7 hours notice and my First BA First

Old Jun 6, 07, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Fortunately my parents paid for my uni tuition and living costs. However, I was told if I didn't work during the holidays then I'd have to start paying for Uni.

My summer jobs when at Uni paid pretty well plus I had a monthly allowance whilst at Uni which lended itself nicely into being channelled towards travel. Toss in a girlfriend who at the time was living 3700 miles away and Robert's your mother's brother. Like spanishflea my housemates wondered what I was up to at weekends, sometimes off to the continent, sometimes a long weekend in the US...
I'm in a similar situation. Parents paying the other part of tuition my scholarship doesn't cover plus I've got a job of working as the advertising manager of the school newspaper along with making very good money refereeing soccer. When I was studying abroad in the UK I was given the same amt. of money my scholarship covered for room and board and told to enjoy my year in London. A lot of travelling then but I was refereeing football on the local pitches and also eating a bit into my savings account. I'd say I did almost 30K of intra-Europe and 2 TATL flights a semester (in Y).

I keep telling my parents it's worth every penny (but I just can't explain to them what a mileage run is).
Old Jun 20, 07, 12:52 am

Programs: QF WP + PG
Originally Posted by wireless033 View Post
How do you young guys pay your trips as students? You have some type of incredible business or your parents pay?
For me, I work my butt off for 8 months of the year with 45 hours per week and study part time. Then 4 months of the year I study full-time and live like a student, and travel unlike a student, thanks to a nice allowance work keep paying me. ^

I'm about to start 8 months of work again and will study full-time this semester. Based on my job bookings, its looking like a hellish 8 months. Thankfully its broken up with two weeks in North America ^, 2 weeks at Byron Bay in NSW for Christmas, a week in Sydney & Melbourne, a couple of rural Queensland trips for work and some footy weekends.

Work hard, play hard is my philosphy.

PS. I pay for every cent of my travel but skimp out and don't pay board or anything. I've also been known to be a bit dodgy and purchase cheap fares for either Mum or Dad and I and then they pay the rest of the expenses. Paid $470 for Dad's airfare to Thailand recently and more than recouped that in "other" expenses. ;-)

Last edited by littl_flier; Jun 20, 07 at 12:58 am
Old Jun 20, 07, 11:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
As we climbed away, passing T5, looking out over the sun descending over south east England, I took a sip of my champagne and thought to myself “Does it really get any better than this?”. If someone asked me now if they could put me into any imaginable position, location, or situation, I would quite honestly ask to be back in 1K climbing away from Heathrow into the sunset.
This report brought back fond memories, especially the passage above. Thanks for this stellar effort. Trip Reports has a new star! :-::-::-:
Old Jun 21, 07, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Awesome report......

Hows Leeds Uni? It's nearly 20 years since I graduated from there.
Old Jun 21, 07, 11:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Very good report = I can't wait to write my own this fall. I scored 4 F segments and look all of 21 years old. Let 'em look.
Old Jun 22, 07, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Great report! ^
I didn't realize you could get a miles redemption seat for the same day?
Old Jun 22, 07, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Great report! ^
I didn't realize you could get a miles redemption seat for the same day?
BA's Executive Club rules state that you can't.

AA's AAdvantage rules state that you can up to 2 hours before departure
Old Jun 22, 07, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
BA's Executive Club rules state that you can't.

AA's AAdvantage rules state that you can up to 2 hours before departure
Wonderful report spanishflea - You'll have to come along to a BA board Do!

There are more of us student types who fly up front than you think
Old Jun 23, 07, 2:18 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Thanks for the report spanishflea!

I wish you would have taken more pictures though. Also, which hostel did you stay in CPT? Also, the one in JNB? I'd like to visit South Africa in 2009 (have a big SE Asia trip planned for next year) and would like to know your feedbacks on where to stay/not to say, if it is what you expected, info on the safaris, etc.

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 07, 9:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, VS
At which hostel did you stay in Cape Town?
Old Oct 31, 07, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
At which hostel did you stay in Cape Town?
I had to look it up because I totally forgot the name, but I stayed at The Backpack
Old Nov 1, 07, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, VS
OK, thanks for looking it up - that's the place I'm planning to stay too. Funny I once did a trip just like yours except it was SFO-Sri Lanka on SQ F, at 8 hours notice on a whim! Bloody marvellous!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: