Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

UK to South Africa at 7 hours notice and my First BA First

UK to South Africa at 7 hours notice and my First BA First

Old Jun 1, 07, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steady-EDI View Post
Great report, spanishflea ^

I missed you by a day, having been in F on the BA55 on Tuesday 22 May, when presumably the plan was hatching inside your head! If it had happened one day sooner, you'd have had two FTers and Desmond Tutu for company on your outbound!
Wow, that would have made it much more interesting! Sadly even if I had planned in advance I wouldn't have been able to make the BA55 on the Tuesday as my exam finished about the same time as the connecting shuttle would have left Manchester
Old Jun 1, 07, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA gold/SPG something or another
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have to say I disagree. When I travelled for a year between school and uni, during uni summer holidays and also in the year after university, I found it far more beneficial staying in guesthouses and hostels. You meet people your age, you spend less money (something important for whentravelling long term) and you hear about the most student orientated things. Also it is rather easy to find a job (if the country you're in allows that sort of thing). Money being the key factor here. When I was 16-23 I was miles rich and cash poor (admittedly not that poor due to my language skills and finding holiday work in Europe for a well known Qatari bank). Miles rich because from year dot I was brought up in HKG, SYD and SFO (not at the same time). Went to boarding school at 8, uni at 19, so trotted home 6 times a year (for 14 years) . Cash poor because my parents would never want me throwing champagne bottles at the wall of Annabel's in London
With you as well.

I usually splurge for a hotel if i'm with a friend, or, the first night after flying 16 hrs.

I don't mind hostels at all. If privacy is a concern, most have private rooms as well but still keep the communial atmosphere there. Usually the private rooms are much cheaper than even local motels/2-3* hotels.

You get what you pay for, and YMMV, but I feel I get a better experience as well as better bang for the buck by staying at a hostel.

It's only sleep, right? As long as the beds are comfy... i'm satisfied.
Old Jun 2, 07, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Great report! Really enjoy the spontaneity of it! I've done short notice trips before but not flying 6000 miles to a country I've never been to

Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
Pedantically you're sat at Cape of Good Hope Cape Point is that bit with the lighthouse in the background
Old Jun 2, 07, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Great report! Really enjoy the spontaneity of it! I've done short notice trips before but not flying 6000 miles to a country I've never been to

Pedantically you're sat at Cape of Good Hope Cape Point is that bit with the lighthouse in the background
Cheers Fraser, I couldn't quite remember which one it was!
Old Jun 2, 07, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Good on ya spanishflea spur of the moment trips are the best - the only thing I miss since being married.

Great detailed report, a joy to read.^
Old Jun 4, 07, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Great report there!

It's so good to know there are people like me out there! I too am just finishing my 2nd year of uni in Cheltenham and have spent a lot of this year and last year commuting to and from america buliding up insane amounts of AAmiles and having a lot of fun in the process!

Got a lot of miles burning a hole in my pkt now. Hmmm where to go.....
Old Jun 5, 07, 4:15 am

Programs: QF WP + PG
Live life the student way

Hey spanishflew. Awesome trip report, I really enjoyed it.

On your note about feeling inadequate in the lounge, I tend to agree. I'm a year younger with a huge baby face and have been travelling a bit myself recently. Everyone looks strangely when I settle down in the corner of the lounge with my drinks and canapes and even worse when I jumped on my flight to SYD the other day in Business. Students need a little luxury every now and then- play it hard. If you're ever keen to come to Aust, give me a yell. Great report mate.
Old Jun 5, 07, 9:12 am

How do you young guys pay your trips as students? You have some type of incredible business or your parents pay?
Old Jun 5, 07, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Cheers for all the comments!

Originally Posted by wireless033 View Post
How do you young guys pay your trips as students? You have some type of incredible business or your parents pay?
For me, my student loan goes an awful long way with careful budgeting and minimal boozing. I'd rather fly and travel than anything else!
Old Jun 5, 07, 11:35 am

Cheers for all the comments!

For me, my student loan goes an awful long way with careful budgeting and minimal boozing. I'd rather fly and travel than anything else!
Well that's what flying upfront is about :-D

I was in the same situation as you when I was in London as I could barely afford rent let alone 40-50 quid nights on the town!
Old Jun 5, 07, 11:50 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have to say I disagree. When I travelled for a year between school and uni, during uni summer holidays and also in the year after university, I found it far more beneficial staying in guesthouses and hostels. You meet people your age, you spend less money (something important for whentravelling long term) and you hear about the most student orientated things. Also it is rather easy to find a job (if the country you're in allows that sort of thing). Money being the key factor here. When I was 16-23 I was miles rich and cash poor (admittedly not that poor due to my language skills and finding holiday work in Europe for a well known Qatari bank). Miles rich because from year dot I was brought up in HKG, SYD and SFO (not at the same time). Went to boarding school at 8, uni at 19, so trotted home 6 times a year (for 14 years) . Cash poor because my parents would never want me throwing champagne bottles at the wall of Annabel's in London
Good points! Well done OP! Even at my advanced age I am miles rich and cash poor (relatively - or cash poorer than I would like to be owing to travel addiction etc) and old habits die hard - quite happy in guesthouses.
Old Jun 5, 07, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by wireless033 View Post
Fortunately my parents paid for my uni tuition and living costs. However, I was told if I didn't work during the holidays then I'd have to start paying for Uni.

My summer jobs when at Uni paid pretty well plus I had a monthly allowance whilst at Uni which lended itself nicely into being channelled towards travel. Toss in a girlfriend who at the time was living 3700 miles away and Robert's your mother's brother. Like spanishflea my housemates wondered what I was up to at weekends, sometimes off to the continent, sometimes a long weekend in the US...
Old Jun 5, 07, 11:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Great trip report spanishflea! ^

Being a university student myself (entering my second year in a few months) I am just amazed with the amount of travel you are fortunate to be able to do. Mostly because I don’t have enough money (or miles) to be flying around the world, and even last year was tough with car repairs eating up my travel budget. I do keep my passport handy should a good international fare pop though. Just haven’t seen any ex-Orlando yet.

I will say that parents are always interesting when telling them about upcoming trips. So far mine have been fairly cool about it, but then I am expected to pay for it myself, just as it sounds you as well. Now, if I could muster enough $$$ to start making transatlantic trips regularly I bet my parents would become somewhat like what you have described yours at times. Until then though I don’t see it becoming a problem....unless that is I go broke from traveling too much!
Old Jun 6, 07, 4:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
My story is similar to Fraser's. My step dad pays my fee's every year, my studentloan covers my accomodation with about £600-£800 left over and i get a montly allowance from my mum and my dad which totals about £600 per month. I live fairly well and go out a bit but generally manage to save about £400 a month for other stuff. I also work in the holidays and get paid very well for what i do, throw in a bit of freelance photography and it ends up with a nice bit of excess money.

I'm in a very fortunate position and i have used that to travel a lot, buy my camera equipment that i need for my degree and career and i am enjoying it while i can. I have calmed down in my 2nd year with the amount of travel i do and i can see my third year calming it even more.

My 3rd year does consist of a major project which i am currently trying to base around documenting something in a different country which will mean i can travel lots. My current faveourite plan involves documenting part of the australian culture and could mean 4 rtn trips there in 4 months next year.

I know once i leave uni and get a real job the travel will have to slow down but hey im gonna try my hardest for it not too! Only problem now is the gf wants to come with me on all the travels! Which is great just 2x the cost! lol

Chris
Old Jun 6, 07, 4:46 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Great report, spanishflea! ^

There were loads of wonderful touches but I have to say this one really made me laugh:

In the bathroom I managed to explode my tube of toothpaste all over my Pyjama top.

Exiting the bathroom topless, I was confronted by the Purser with a look of amusement, horror, and thankfully a good deal of restraint. I explained my predicament, and she laughed and said “You couldn’t make it up!” whilst handing me a fresh pair of PJs!
I can just imagine the Purser's thoughts when the comely young lad (who had asked if he can be naughty) emerges saying he got "toothpaste" all over his pjs'.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: