FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   Battling Fatigue LAX-HKG-TPE-HKG-LAX: CX First Class & Regional Business (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/698792-battling-fatigue-lax-hkg-tpe-hkg-lax-cx-first-class-regional-business.html)

Rejuvenated Jun 3, 07 7:43 pm

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Originally Posted by RTW4 (Post 7825231)
I am happy incidentally that the second meal on this trip is now a dinner and not a breakfast as I had recently...

Interestingly that meal service, even though labeled as "Dinner" on the menu, still consisted of the fresh fruit plate and congee was one of the options of the main courses. Both items are what one normally sees in the breakfast menu.

Kiwi Flyer Jun 3, 07 7:56 pm

Nice report as usual Rejuvenated ^

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated (Post 7824481)
However despite all these perks and rewards, a human beingís body has been naturally developed with a certain fatigue tolerance level. No matter how great of a service or hardware product an airline is capable of delivering, fatigue is still fatigue and at times is inevitable. Just imagine yourself in an ordinary long haul sector. The number of hours locked inside a flying machine while being deprived of fresh air and the need to cope with time zone differential at the end of the journey. After dealing with this routine after routine, it does take its toll on a humanís body and I for one will not deny it.

I'm beginning to wonder if my body's natural state is perpetual time zone travel. After several hundreds of longhaul flights, many in economy as well as first and business when I'm lucky enough, I struggle to recall the last time I got really fatigued by travel.

alect Jun 3, 07 11:40 pm

What they all said ^ ^ ^

Rejuvenated Jun 5, 07 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 7843668)
I'm beginning to wonder if my body's natural state is perpetual time zone travel. After several hundreds of longhaul flights, many in economy as well as first and business when I'm lucky enough, I struggle to recall the last time I got really fatigued by travel.

Usually I don't either. But having to do 3 transpacific and 1 transatlantic within a 10 day span really got into me mentally of what is to come after the 1st transpacific that it really boggled my mind.

Kiwi Flyer Jun 5, 07 7:34 pm

Best not to think about it really unless you're mad enough (like me) to be 100% sure that you will enjoy it all. Travelling in first and business there are some nice drinks and other touches to help distract you ;) :p

Now in economy, OTOH, I must confess sometime after booking the around the world in under 60 hours I did wonder, briefly, what I had let myself in for.

dbuster44 Jun 10, 07 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated (Post 7824481)

Since when did CX switch from Elemis to Vitorinox?

bowdenj Jun 10, 07 6:22 pm

Terrific trip report - and fantastic photos.

dhammer53 Jun 15, 07 11:06 pm

It's much more exciting to read these international first class reports when they're not on US based domestic carriers. ;)

Great report. Makes me rethink my STAR relationship.

kchika Jun 16, 07 4:35 am

Originally Posted by dbuster44 (Post 7881206)
Since when did CX switch from Elemis to Vitorinox?

Yes, but the amenities inside are from Acca Kappa. ^

dbuster44 Jun 23, 07 6:22 pm

But the Vitorinox itself is from SwissArmy?

Merlion Jun 24, 07 12:19 am

Originally Posted by dbuster44 (Post 7948125)
But the Vitorinox itself is from SwissArmy?

Victorinox = SwissArmy

Victorinox - original name of the company used in Europe and Asia
Swissarmy - special name, which they had to create for North American market after consumer acceptance tests

Seat 2A Jun 30, 07 9:59 am

It took me a while to get around to finally reading this, but it was well worth the wait. I've never flown anything but First Class on Cathay and after reading this report, I shall endeavor to keep it that way!

stimpy Jun 30, 07 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 7843668)

You get jet lag when your body normal time is out of sync with the new time zone. However what I realized long ago is that you don't get jet lag when your body isn't used to any time zone. Just give up on normality and you will be fine.

And great report Rejuvenated!

lucky9876coins Jun 30, 07 9:51 pm

Fantastic report, loved every word of it!^ ^ ^

CX looks like it has a very nice F product, although the seats just don't seem that great, but it seems like the service is top notch!^ Thanks a lot for taking the time!

PS: I want your job!:D:p

dbuster44 Jul 6, 07 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by BizJet (Post 7830523)
Outstanding trip report. I'm surprised by the F loads on LAX-HKG-LAX. 4/12 on the outbound and 2/12 on the return. Is that typical for CX on this route? Seems too low for the cabin to be profitable.

How is the patronization F load of the LAX flights in general? Are they usually low?