Reload this Page >

The Mysterious Case of the Missing 5 - Or how I went to MEL in some style

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Mysterious Case of the Missing 5 - Or how I went to MEL in some style

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
I am Mr. 26D

<<It seems that 26E is going to go empty until a woman with the historically pleasing waist-to-hip-to-etc. ratios swishes into our row and bursts out "Hi boys!" and of her low-cut tank top at just about the same time. She strikes up a lengthy conversation with 26D and then does the same with me. I was a little worried she was going to be a little annoying, but in fact she is an utterly charming and pleasant seat-mate. She was reading a book with a title something like "The Art of Seduction". I'm not sure why. She could have easily been the author.>>

I was the guy sitting in 26D and agree totally with your discription. What a small world.

Cheers!
Old May 30, 2007, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
whoa - rather less than the NZ allowance and even smaller than the Australian allowance
Edited to add: the limits are 1.5L of wine, 1.14L of spirits, or 8.5L of beer. So we can bring in far more beer, but less of anything else.

It was only last year that the 7 day duty free exemption was raised to $750, after having been $300 forever.

That being said, our bags are not X-rayed as a matter of routine. So they would have to decide to bother searching your bags to see if you are over any limit. The one and only time I've gone to a secondary search was returning from five days in England with Mrs. Zorn and four checked bags, which obviously sets of alarm bells when we claimed to have spent under our combined limit.

It turned out Mrs. Zorn had bought lots of new and used books there, as some more obscure literary titles are easier to find in English stores. When I am asked to show the customs agent what we had bought, so I started out with a stack of mouldy used books. They immediately gave up on us and we moved on (before they saw all the clothes she had bought).

Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
I was the guy sitting in 26D and agree totally with your description. What a small world.
Funny how without even asking she managed to get us to hold her tray for her the times she got up to use the lav during the meal service

Last edited by zorn; May 30, 2007 at 12:50 pm
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
One of the best trip reports I've ever read! Thanks for sharing. Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
One of the best trip reports I've ever read! Thanks for sharing. Cheers.
From another Sharon, I agree wholeheartedly! Thanks a million. A fantastic TR.

Sharon
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:10 pm

All the freely available champagne. Nice one, the wit and humour involved.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:41 am

Programs: QF WP + PG
Fantastic trip report Zorn. Love you're humour.

It's a shame you weren't fond on NZ's Y class though. The food on the trans tasman is usuaully quite good but the longhaul is even better.

Thanks for brightening my day! ^
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Last night the phone rings. I usually don't answer unless the number passes my Call Display sniff test, but one of the kids had unplugged the power of the phone I was near so the call display didn't work. I took a chance and answered. Some guy says in a funny accent (hmmm...call centre?) "Is this <my name> or <wife's name>?"

"Sorry, you have the wrong number," I lied.

The phone rings again. This time I am near the other phone in the kitchen and just ignore it. It goes to the machine and the same guy with the funny accent just says "Hallo?...Hallo?...Hallo?..." and gives up.

The phone rings again. I give him the benefit of the doubt and answer it this time. "Is this <my name> or <wife's name>?"

"Yes," I answer this time.

"It's <the hotel in MEL>. Did you send a credit card..."

17 days after leaving YYZ, the day on which Mrs. Zorn spent $55 on international courier with my missing credit card
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by zorn
Some guy says in a funny accent (hmmm...call centre?) "Is this <my name> or <wife's name>?"

"Sorry, you have the wrong number," I lied.

The phone rings again. This time I am near the other phone in the kitchen and just ignore it. It goes to the machine and the same guy with the funny accent just says "Hallo?...Hallo?...Hallo?..." and gives up.
Again, great stuff!!
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'll add my voice to the chorus: Great trip report. A very enjoyable read. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2009, 3:23 pm

Fab trip report! Loved your writing style. ^
Old May 1, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by SQFAN
Fab trip report! Loved your writing style. ^
Really? A bump two years later for a hoorah?
Old May 1, 2009, 3:29 pm

Yup, I don't tend to visit this part of the FT but have time to kill of late. Good post deserves a hurrah irrespective fo the time frame.

edit: I am now reading another TR that's 4 yrs old.

Last edited by SQFAN; May 1, 2009 at 3:42 pm
Old May 3, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Really? A bump two years later for a hoorah?
Has it been that long??

It seemed like only last year that I read it....time *is* flying!
Old May 4, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
It may be 2yrs old but it's still worth a read.

Cheers Larry.:-:
Old May 4, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Great report
I really like your writing style!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.