Community
Wiki Posts
Search

El Al Trip JFK-TLV-EWR (no pictures)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2007, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

El Al Trip JFK-TLV-EWR (no pictures)

Flew El Al First Class Kennedy - Tel Aviv - Newark and found them to be okay. (B fare - about $6 grand U.S.)

The trip started with free limo service from Manhattan. It was a clear Sunday morning so there was no traffic and I arrived JFK a little after 11 a.m. for a 2:20 p.m. flight! No people in the check-in lines (obviously, but I didn't know how long the ride would take). Security questioning was minimal. A few questions about luggage and who/when it was packed. A quick x-ray of my bag, (only one and it was a carry-on), and they sent me to the King David Lounge. Not NEARLY the extensive questioning and interrogation I expected from El Al.

The main part of the David lounge is for Business Class and they directed me to a separate room with about a dozen seats overlooking the concourse and parked planes. The food selection was fresh and very good. There was a broad selection of fresh vegetables, fruit and dips, finger sandwiches, deserts. An expresso machine and self-serve bar were on hand. Aside from a lady who came in with a few more food items, I was the only one in the lounge for about an hour until another couple arrived.

I wandered down to the gate area and cleared JFK Security. That was a mess with lots of people in line but I finally cleared the hurdle. The plane was a 777 with six first class seats -- two, two, two and service was provided by two dedicated flight attendants who were headed home and in a good mood. There were 5 passengers up front on both flights. Newspapers, pre-departure drinks, menus, wine list, a packaged pair of new pajamas, etc. were handed out and the flight departed about half an hour late due to having to remove baggage for two passengers who never showed up at the gate. (?!)

Interior of the plane was about like most carriers lately - drab and dark. Dark bulkhead, dark seats, dark carpet, dark uniforms. I suppose it is supposed to be restful but I don't think a few bright touches would be asking too much. My other complaint was with the seats. They are the lay-flat kind, but also like every carrier, there are about a hundred small, poorly lighted buttons scattered over three or four panels and arm rests controlling things. And then there is the video monitor with six or eight tugs, turns, twists and rotates to get in position and a related exercise to get the tray table in place. Oh, and I shouldn't forget the fun of finding the three dark triangle-pattern holes in the dark seat divider beside your leg where the head phones plug in! Can't anybody with some common sense design a seat?

Bedtime in flight is now part of the experience! About half the cabin took their pajamas to the normal sized lavatory and struggled and banged the walls for the fifteen minutes it took to get the critters on. Meanwhile, the attendants made the beds with sheets and duvets and we all pretended we were one big happy family camping in a tent in the woods. I know, I know, the competition does it so now every carrier has to do it. Maybe it's just me, but the whole thing is a lot sillier than it sounds in the advertising.

On-board food was very good. There was a bowl of nuts and then a plate of olives and tortillas with parsley and thyme dip, followed by a choice of breads and pesto spread. Appetizers were a choice of stuffed mushrooms with dill sauce, roast chicken breast with mustard marinade or fish in bell pepper sauce. Soup - always one of my favorite courses, was squash and it was very hot and outstanding. The main course choices were: barbecued chicken thigh, rosemary-thyme beef ragout or grilled salmon. I had the salmon, and it was excellent. Side dishes included rice, vegetables and mashed potatoes. (which were terrible. Tasted like potatoes mashed in water with no seasoning).
A salad could be topped with balsamic or olive oil/lemon dressing and dessert offerings were fresh fruit with sorbet or a raspberry mousse with chocolate glaze. Not very memorable but okay. Coffee, expresso and assorted teas followed the meal.

I am totally unfamiliar with Israel's wines but the ones I tried were outstanding. Choices included reds: Cabernet Sauvignon Adamah Basalt 2004, Tabor Winery, Merlot Yarden 2002, Golan Heights Winery, Grand Vin 2003, Castel Winery. Whites: Sauvignon Blanc Fume 2004, Dalton Winery, Chardonnay 2004, Ella Vineyards, C Chardonnay 2004, Castel Winery, and for Dessert: Yarden Heightswine 2003 Golan Heights Winery.

Breakfast was the usual array of juices, fresh fruit, breads and eggs any way you wanted them. Having been stuffed and beyond just a few hours earlier, I munched on the fruit.

Arrival on time to a few snow flakes and rain. The free limo to Tel Aviv turned out to be taxi but that is still a might nice service and one I really appreciated.

The return flight was very similar, except it left at midnight so everyone was more anxious to sleep than to eat. I had a dickens of a time finding the first class check in area. I asked at a regular desk and was told it was down at the end. Down "there" was one desk labeled for unaccompanied children and the other for handicapped people. I wasn't quite sure which I was, but they happily directed me on around the corner where the first class and business desks were hiding.

Again, no delay and security check-in was much less rigorous than I expected. There was a quick unzip of my bag to peer at the plastic sack full of electronic adapters, chargers, shaver, camera stuff and a quick check of a stack of books I'd bought. The other two security checks cleared me with no problem but it seemed everyone in front of me at immigration had a problem because that took almost half an hour. There were only two of us in the first class part of the King David Lounge in Tel Aviv and since I'd just had dinner, I sampled the wine but not the snacks.

The flight to Newark departed and arrived on time and service was fine although due to the flight being in the middle of the night, nobody wanted much to eat or demanded much service. Food on that segment was about the same as the trip over: olives, nachos and salsa. Tomato/garlic spread and green olive spread with the hot breads. Coriander Asian chicken salad, seared beef filet with carrots and eggplant or asparagus in vinagerette for appetizers, minestrone soup, duck with carmelized apples, halibut in tomato/olive sauce or pasta with arrabbiata sauce and smoked beef. salad and for dessert, fresh fruit with gooseberry sorbet or baked-on-board hot chocolate fudge cake with vanilla ice cream (Yeah!)

I enjoyed the trip and the service and I'd gladly fly them again if they serve where I'm going.
Old May 18, 2007, 7:27 pm

Wonderful report. Hope LY new 777 confirg is a bit better than you describe... Thanks so much...
Old May 18, 2007, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
They served milk and meat?

dh
Old May 19, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Nice trip report.. welcome to Flyertalk!

Regarding security perhaps they run a detailed background screen ahead of time since you were first class? I know I went through a very detailed and long questioning when I flew El Al. (however I was flying out of Turkey which might have made a difference too. )
Old May 19, 2007, 5:20 pm

While I was flying CO, I was exspecting the worse considering that the downtown TLV CO office said that I should arrive 3 hours ahead to allow for the security screening.

The screening took all of maybe 5 minutes mostly the agent reminiscing about her time in the US and her visit to NY. I was so ready for a long dragged out screening process that I was somewhat disarmed by the experience.

Dan
Old May 20, 2007, 2:53 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by dhammer53
They served milk and meat?
dh
At different meals. I have done the route many times. Service and food is pretty reliable.

I do agree with the comments about the hot vegetables served with the meals from JFK. I have written to EL AL a number of times over the past year and nothing has changed. Something there needs shaking up a bit.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Woofbite
An expresso machine and...
Thanks for a great report Woofbite, sound like you found ELAL to be better then just "Okay" as you said at the beginning of your report.

One question though, what is an expresso machine???
Old May 21, 2007, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

One question though, what is an expresso machine???[/QUOTE]

Good question. Would you believe an Israeli coffee maker somewhat like the Italian Espresso ones? (I didn't think so )

With respect to a few other points:

"Okay" is pretty darned good in my book. I expect a lot from FC and no, they were not Singapore, but they were mighty fine. (There - feel better?)

I wondered about the meat/milk combo but I'm not Jewish so I don't know the fine points of that rule. Maybe the ice cream was fake but it sure tasted good. They did offer a beef appetizer with the same meal but no beef main course. (Which makes me wonder -- are Kosher Jews allowed to eat that phony crab and lobster stuff? And how about turkey bacon/ham?)

No idea how much background checking El Al might do. I suspect the limo driver was in security since he mentioned he worked for the company and occasionally drove crews and executives.

While I'm on here, does know if there is a section on flyertalk devoted to purchasing First and Business Class tickets at a discount? Some of us don't travel enough to reach rarefied upgrade levels but would like some help regarding discount Fs, J-UPs, consolidator fares, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.