Search

Expressjet August 2007 Pix link

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Expressjet August 2007 Pix link

Expressjet Trip Report:

Hi all,

This week, I finally got on another US airline, which I have always wanted to try. My original first flight was back in June but due to weather at Texas, that flight did not happen, and the whole trip was pushed back till August. Expressjet is not an unknown regional airline in the US, which has actually operated mainly under the Continental Express label for years. Not until last year, it started its whole unique brand and uses mainly EMB-145RJs flying in and out of secondary airports and hopefully many US passengers can escape the needs to fly through hubs. Most of us realize that flying in and out of ORD, MSP, DTW, DFW, ATL, EWR and JFKs are nightmares this summer, and Expressjet tries to bypass the major cities. It also offers a frequent flyer program (which is similar to Southwest, but with more time to gain points – fly eight returns (sixteen one-way flights), get one roundtrip for free), free snacks (including sandwiches, pastas, and cereals on longer flights – two hours or above), affordable alcoholic drinks ($1 beers and $3 wines & hard liquors), leather seats, no middle seats, and free XM Satellite radios. Well I am not disappointed with Expressjet and the service, especially F/As, was generally great, and the pilots are informative and friendly, and the complimentary snacks are nice, considered even a bag of pretzels become rare in coach. The load factor seems to be pretty strong and I really hope that it will succeed. However, Expressjet’s leather seats and no middle seat cannot take away the narrow cabins of regional jets, and people keep on bumping me throughout the flights.

Photo Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqIJI

Itinerary:
August 15, 2007, Wednesday
Conf# GYGDWW
XE 4 ONT-AUS 1630 2129 EMB-145XR S 12A N11199

August 16, 2007, Thursday
Conf# GYGDWW
XE 1 AUS-ONT 0800 0904 EMB-145XR V 12A N11199
Conf# GYGFNX
XE 25 ONT-TUS 1030 1148 EMB-145LR / 12A N11547
Conf# GYGFMK
XE 510 TUS-SAT 1400 1805 EMB-145LR S 12A N16559

Check-in:
Tuscon is definitely my favorite station, as the check-in areas are separated into “no checked bags” and regular lines, and the “no checked bag” lines actually lead to the machine, and the other lines are staffed with two agents at all times. Both Austin and Ontario also feature these two separate lines, but the “no checked bags” lines really lead to no where, and there should be a clear line leading to one or two specific kiosks. Ontario is particularly nightmarish. I still don’t know why people don’t want to use machines (or let people who will use the kiosks to bypass them). For folks without checked bags, do the online check-in or just follow “no checked bag” line and jump into a kiosks. However, I really recommend Expressjet addresses this issue – “no checked bag” line should direct to a kiosk (with a specific sign – “for passengers without checked bags” or set up a kiosk on the side.

Ground Service:
Expressjet is definitely running with minimal staff here and the gate agents are mixed patch. Ontario has a mix of friendly and mean gate agents. On my Tucson flight, I need to get a boarding pass from the gate agent because I don’t want to go off security just to get a boarding pass, and also the check-in area at ONT is pretty busy. The gate agent really gave me lots of attitudes and questioning whether I really need a boarding pass. I am like “do you think I will come bother you if I have a boarding pass?” The Austin gate agents are nice and they thank each passenger and because it was raining, umbrellas were provided. The Tucson agent was nice too, but because of our late flight, she had to work two flights departing at nearly the same time. I felt bad for her and was surprised that Expressjet did not send another agent to help her at the gate. For an already late flight, one minute late can easily mean further delays. Thankfully, there were some non-rev (gate agents) helping her out, but Expressjet needs an extra agent, or at least cross-trained the check-in agent to carry some basic duties of gate agents.

On-time reliability:
Ontario is a pretty stress-free airport, as well as Austin and Tucson. San Antonio is too, but due to weather, our flight was delayed but not too bad, compared to the major airports. Out of four flights, only the Austin flight suffered a minor twenty minutes delay due to rain at Austin, and the San Antonio flight was more than an hour late though, but due to severe weather at San Antonio.

Flight attendant:
All four flight attendants are very friendly and efficient in carrying out the food service. They always start with snacks, and then the beverage service. They never mind you asking for another drink at the galley or use the overhead button. Definitely a major strength of Expressjet (pretty good during the Continental Express days… so I know it will be okay)!

In-flight service:
For the long segments, snack packs are provided. The weakest is the teriyaki pasta salad, which was just disgusting. I took a bite and left it, but the accompanied cookie is good. The sandwich is nice – soft bread with fresh ingredients, some granola berry mix, and a pack of Snack well’s Crème cookies. The breakfast is okay with a bowl of Special K cereal, and more granola berry mix, as well as milk. For the shorter flight, an assortment of Sun Chips (French Onion flavor), mini-pretzels, peanuts, Biscoff cookies, and granola berry mix was provided, and the F/A don’t have problem if you take more than one item (unlike Delta). Beverage service always followed and a whole can was provided except the first ONT-AUS segment. $1 beers are popular, as well as other liquors for obvious reasons! You can’t ask for more! I will recommend Expressjet forget about the pasta salad option and just stocked a few cheese sandwiches for the vegetarian folks. Pasta salad just does not work on a plane environment.

Baggage service:
No idea, as I don’t have checked bags, but the valet service was pretty good. Efficient in delivering bags back!

Conclusion:
Expressjet definitely finds a nice niche flying in and out of secondary airports and helping folks to bypass some of the more delay-prone airports in the US. The service is pretty consistent and nice beverage, snack, and F/A service are great. Some more trainings with the ground staffs will be great, as well as addressing the slightly disorganized check-in lines will be good as well. Fundamentally, it makes a trip on a regional jet a bit less stressful and brings a bit more glamour to it. I wish them good luck!

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.