Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Third FlyerTalk Trip Reports Photo Contest!

Third FlyerTalk Trip Reports Photo Contest!

Old Apr 21, 07, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Nothing a little PS can't take care of....
Just did the same thing with a couple of dogs
Old Apr 21, 07, 6:54 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
CPRich, I really like the rock in your 2nd submission - the curves and fine striations on it are kind of evocative of the Wave, which is on my to-do list of places to photograph (next trip to Utah, I guess).

I think the saturation on the rocks in your PS'd shot above is maybe a little strong.
Old Apr 21, 07, 6:57 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
Just did the same thing with a couple of dogs
My eyes, my eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!

although you might want to practice a little more with the Extract tool - poor guy in the front is missing some paws

Maybe we should have informal photoshop contests in the new photography forum when it shows up.
Old Apr 21, 07, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Administrivia:

4) Post-Processing - Nothing that substantially changes the image is allowed. Basically, what you see through your viewfinder is what we want to see. Digital cameras inherently post-process the images they record, so additional processing to modify contrast, sharpness, color balance, render B&W, etc is acceptable. That once-in-a lifetime shot of an Alaska Airlines Airbus A380 in flight is out-of-bounds.
Now I know the post processing was not done by the contributor, and won't be the image in the voting gallery, but just a reminder. . .

PTravel has the right idea with extracting the best of what is present in the original, but methinks that sky was shot elsewhere.

and, FlyingOnceMore, thank you for not posting the reborn dogs in-line. ^ I understand that some folks are sharing the images posted here with family.

That said, great shots people! I think this contest will be the most difficult one to judge so far. @:-)
Old Apr 21, 07, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by bdjohns1 View Post
[SIZE="1"]although you might want to practice a little more with the Extract tool - poor guy in the front is missing some paws ;
Just playing and spent no more than three minutes on it, so the result is somewhat amputated

Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
FlyingOnceMore, thank you for not posting the reborn dogs in-line. ^ I understand that some folks are sharing the images posted here with family.
Quite right and you're welcome. Also, the last thing I wanted is the thread becoming a PS workshop, funny or not. No offence to those above who have demonstrated what is possible with time and practice.
Old Apr 21, 07, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdjohns1 View Post
Maybe we should have informal photoshop contests in the new photography forum when it shows up.
The motion passed. eight to one.
Old Apr 21, 07, 9:27 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
The motion passed. eight to one.
Awsome!
With so many people traveling, and with just a hand full of us with these amazing shots, you could imagine what kind of photos the whole FT community can put together.
Old Apr 21, 07, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Birdstrike et al,

My entries are located on my website, and I just had to change web hosts (see the thread about my site being hacked). I'm in the process of moving everything over, but it may take a couple of hours. My entries should be back then.
Old Apr 21, 07, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No worries. I did read that thread. The people who did the hacking should be shot.

We still have a week to go in the submission period. Let me know if you want me to host them on the PBase site in the meantime.
Old Apr 21, 07, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Actually, they're already back. The files are transferring alphabetically and, luckily, the name I gave them comes before the names of the big video files on my site.
Old Apr 21, 07, 10:41 pm

Very nice photos. Too bad I don't have any of red rocks yet!

Last edited by hkskyline; Apr 21, 07 at 11:08 pm
Old Apr 22, 07, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inspired by the theme, I've put up this short red rocks video of Dawn at the Grand Canyon. Obviously, not an entry -- it's a video.
Old Apr 22, 07, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Loves your pictures Bundy Bear and cheepneeze.

My wife wants her FT's luggage tags so here are her entries, both from the Grand Canyon and you can see the woman touch in these:

Old Apr 23, 07, 3:59 pm

I thought about my photo being of bricks, but I don't think they qualify - aren't bricks manufactured, rather than just cut? This was a photo of a 15th century abbey - I think those are just dressed stones (and much larger than 'bricks' normally are). Ah well, we shall see!
Old Apr 23, 07, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Green Dragon View Post
I thought about my photo being of bricks, but I don't think they qualify - aren't bricks manufactured, rather than just cut? This was a photo of a 15th century abbey - I think those are just dressed stones (and much larger than 'bricks' normally are). Ah well, we shall see!
I thought they were dressed stones, particularly those in the upper courses.

On the other hand, the Pantheon, built circa 120 AD, is made of concrete.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: