From One Extreme to Another: My Journey From Adak, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From One Extreme to Another: My Journey From Adak, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I always enjoy reading your trip reports. Interesting, but your experience in LAN J from LAX to LIM is pretty much identical to ours last year. My husband is a big eater and asked if he could have the soup and the salad--answer:NO! Asked if he could have soup if any were left over:NO. And I had to beg for a refill of my wine glass.
We usually fly AA, and I guess we are just spoiled by having really nice flight attendants most of the time. My husband usually jokes around with them a bit, and they respond in a positive manner. These LAN ladies were very pretty, but no joking around, no nonsense types. And we encountered the same regarding language. They only spoke to me in Spanish. Now I had answered them in Spanish the first time they came around, so that may have had something to do with it. But my husband speaks no Spanish. They spoke to him in English. And we have the same last name and were clearly traveling together.
I found the flight attendants on the intra-Peru one-class flights to be much nicer, with at least a tiny bit of warmth vs. these ice ladies.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
I'm impressed with the planning you do for your trips. Is it more just bits and pieces you've cataloged away in your mind over the years that you put together for a trip, or is there a large amount of time consuming planning that occurs before each of your adventures?
Actually, a little of both. I look at an OAG or a train schedule along with maps and the wheels start turning. I've got an active imagination backed up by alot of practical experience and the ability to turn my daydreams into reality. The real challenge is to do so at a cost that is a fraction of what most others pay because I'm not a rich guy. A lifetime of air travel experience both as a passenger (3.5 million miles, 121 airlines flown) and as an airline employee (Frontier in DEN 1970s-80s) and travel agent/corporate travel manager (1980s) is a huge help in understanding and getting the most out of the plethora of routings and rules out there.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
March 27, 2007
Fairbanks to Seattle via ANC
Alaska Airlines First Class * Dinner
737-900 N306AS Seat 2A
347p – 1007p Flight Time: :42 / 2:57

I suppose someday I might as well go for all four extremes and find the easternmost Denny’s wherever that is, but that’s another trip report. For the restaurant forum.
I believe you already accomplished that goal... Denny's does not have a location in Fiji, so I am safe to assume that NZ probably wins the furthest East crown as well.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a perfectly beautiful written report! ^
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:55 pm

2A,

What a treat reading a report from what I'd call, a kindred spirit! I've not only visited the airports at both ends of your odyssey, I've actually gone out the Aleutians to the very western end island of Attu (via a Reeve Aleutian Airline charter Lockheed Electra) on a several occasions stopping at Adak at least 3 times! I thought I was nuts for so thoroughly enjoying a trip such as yours just for the sake of the trip! By the way, in one of your photos of the Adak airport there is what is left of a sign (and it seems so wonderfully appropriate that part of the sign is gone) that used to read "Welcome to Adak, home of the winds!" (paraphrased).

The year I visited Tierra Del Fuego (2005), Aeorolinas Argentinas pilots went on strike and I actually took a series of bus rides from Trelew to El Calafate, replacing a 2-hour flight with about 24 hours of bus travel.

By the way, I come by my wanderlust honestly. My father, during his life made it a point to visit every county in the United States (about 3100 of them!), a task he completed in 1985.

Cheers!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:08 pm

2a,

God it is eerie. I, too have visited the Denny's you've noted in Fairbanks (I was staying in a motel next door!), Christchurch, and Hawaii. And like you, I take a certain pride in notching the northernmost, southernmost, easternmost, westernmost of just about anything, even a Denny's!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by tjsace
My father, during his life made it a point to visit every county in the United States (about 3100 of them!), a task he completed in 1985.
I've done every county in the west (Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and everywhere west including Hawaii) and I well remember what an endeavor that was. To do every county in America is downright amazing. Perhaps even more amazing would have been the trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.