Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Bangkok-Singapore-Sydney (Singapore Airlines)

Old Apr 7, 07, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai, Singapore Airlines

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post on the board, so it might as well be a trip report. I've got a few I can write up so stay tuned for more! ^

I had to return to Australia for Xmas and New Year, and the best fare available was on Singapore Airlines, which was 28,000 Thai Baht (booked online at the SQ website), which included taxes. So about $1000 AUD or $800 USD so I was happy with that fare. I'm also always happy to fly SQ, and being a frequent flyer member with TG's Royal Orchid Plus it suited me just fine.

I got a taxi from my apartment to the new airport in Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) which I really don't like at all. The taxi was driven by one of BKK's few female taxi drivers and she was a pretty wacky and cool lady and had some pretty interesting dashboard onamentations!

I arrived at the new airport in good time, and as I had checked-in already online (love that feature) dropped my bags off and headed through immigration. All in about 10 minutes! Bags were tagged through to SYD and I received boarding passes for both legs. ^

The aircraft was a 777-200 from BKK-SIN, and I managed to grab a quick shot (sorry about the focus, or lack of it!) of the J class seat used on regional services within Asia, before finding my seat back in cattle. As it was just prior to Xmas, there were decorations on the wall every 5 rows of so. A nice touch!

SQ usually has excellent food in Y class, even on regional flights of this one (which is only about 2 hours in duration), and this flight was no exception!

There is a choice of 2 meals - usually Asian and Western - and I chose the western which was a lovely chicken and pasta dish, Asian noodle salad as a starter, and also featured a wonderfully moist chocolate-orange cake which all went down rather well! Red / white wine were available as well as beer, other spirits and a full range of soft drinks, orange, apple, tomato and pineapple juices.

The seat pocket features the in-flight magazine, in-flight duty-free shopping guide and the entertainment guide for "Kris World" which is a great AVOD system, (but not as good as Emirates for example), but still keeps you entertained as the miles pass below.

The approach to SIN is always an interesting one, with container ships by the hundreds waiting to dock as you fly overhead during the final seconds before hitting the tarmac again.

I had a couple of hours to kill at Changi (never a problem here!) and it's easy to see why its consistently voted in the world's top airports! ^ ^

Before I knew it, it was time to board the flight to Sydney. A 747-400 awaited us at the gate. (SQ has 3 flights a day to/from SIN and SYD - all 747-400's).

I didn't take so many photos on this sector as it was a night flight.
I also wanted to try and get some sleep.

About 45 minutes after take-off the dinner service started, and again, it was an excellent meal. ^

It was a standard chicken dish with vegetable, green salad, slice of cake and cheese with crackers. Rounded of with a glass of white wine, a 7-up, and then afterwards a Singapore Sling and a couple of Jim Beam and ginger ales! Nice one, SQ!! Who needs a sleeping pill?!!

The range of beverages available is excellent on SQ - even in Y class.

I find it hard to sleep on aircraft, but managed to get a couple of hours sleep and watched a movie then napped again. I woke up as continental breakfast was being served about one hour out of SYD.
I didn't get a chance to snap a photo as I had to eat it quickly as I was asleep when they handed out the meals initially!

The trays were then cleared away and a landing ensued at SYD 15 minutes ahead of schedule. ^

I cleared immigration and quarantine in about 25 minutes and was on my way.

I rate SQ's economy class as one of the best going around - along with Emirates and Etihad. You really notice a difference when you fly Thai in economy, or even, (sadly these days), Cathay Pacific.

My first choice will always be SQ, even if it means an extra couple of hours to go via Singapore. For me, SQ = Safety, Reliability, Service and Standards.
They're hard to beat! ^
Hope you enjoyed my first post.
Bangkok Boy.
Old Apr 7, 07, 12:44 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Well I enjoyed it!! Hope you don't get flamed as I did after my first trip report for committing the crime of saying I enjoyed the BA J class champers....
Old Apr 8, 07, 12:24 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Welcome to FT Bangkok Boy! Thanks for the trip report.
Old Apr 8, 07, 1:27 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Great first post!! Welcome to FT Bangkok Boy!
Old Apr 9, 07, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai, Singapore Airlines
Thanks guys.
I'll try and write-up a couple more in the following week.
Cheers,
BangkokBoy
Old Apr 9, 07, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Great trip report and pics Bangkok Boy keep them coming.^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: