Wiki Posts
Search

tom911 goes to the World Swimming Championships in Melbourne, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:27 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Numbers matter sometimes.

Getting a little OMNI here, (sorry!) but ever looked at the comparative deaths by gun stats?

Very sadly, the USA wins that one hands down I think.
They clearly prefer to use them evil rather than good.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:02 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Thanks for the reports, tom911, and congratulations to Natalie ^

Good thing I stopped reading the thread at the medal count
Old Apr 4, 2007, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I go back years with ozstamps and Rudi. I know they both follow swimming, so it's nice to hear their comments. I worked on the rest of my photos on the plane home and will get them up later today. I'm also going to post a separate trip report on the Qantas flight in coach (yes, coach) SYD-SFO, which was one of my best ever in the back of the plane.

Tom delighted to be back in the Bay Area this afternoon
Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by tom911
Rudi-

Libby Lenton is the hottest Australia swimmer right now ...
thank you Tom911, I knew very well.

On first sight I was just hoping that your sentence: And you do have a superwoman of your own in would end with ... (swiss) Rigamonti. (silver medal winner 1'500m freestyle from Switzerland)
I was/am just teasing (being soooooooooo®© jealous about your trip).

Cheers

Rudi
Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

I've added the last of the Melbourne photos now, starting at #436. THIS LINK will take you to the top of the second page with the newer photos. It includes a visit to Lygon Street for pasta and gelato, and closing ceremonies at the pool.

I've also added photos from 3 days in Sydney, including the Harbour Bridge, Opera House, Bondi Beach, Manly Beach, and the Duel in the Pool at Olympic Park. At the very end are my Qantas first class lounge photos. THIS LINK will take you there. The very last photo features a glass of Moet champagne in front of the the Sydney Morning Herald with a photo of Michael Phelps congratulating Libby Lenton on her new world record at Duel in the Pool.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile How Did I Never See This Thread???

Tom911!
I was down in Melby for the Champs as well! More to yell for Kosuke Kitajima and Tae Hwan Park, but also for the USA! Never thought that there'd be another FTer at the meet!!!
I had the pleasure of meeting Nat's parents in Barcelona 2003 when I sat with the American parent-squad. Got the updates when Nat wasn't feeling too well in Spain! Fortunately she rocked the world this time around!
I'm really amazed there was another FTer there! ^
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I was in Spain, too. That was a long week when she caught some type of bug in 2003.

Natalie is bypassing U.S. championships next month and going to Fiji to swim in an open water event for a charity there.

All the photos from this event have been moved to the Australia folder linked below.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta DM
Thanks! nice, love to watch swimming
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This report confirms that you do not have to sit in business or first to be able to narrate an excellent report. Great report and thanks for sharing. CX will be starting a daily afternoon departure ex-SFO Oct 18. This flight arrives HKG in the evening just before 7PM. So if you need to fly CX again on SFO-HKG-MEL, this new departure gives you a shorter layover in HKG to make the connection to the evening HKG-MEL departure.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Actually, I already have a One World 150K award in business booked for next year (12 different flights), and I'm in business on Cathay YVR-HKG-YVR as part of that itinerary (also CX segments BNE-HKG and HKG-SIN). When I booked it, there was no inventory from either LAX or SFO. I read the OW rules and don't think I'm allowed to change any of this once ticketed, even with it being a new flight.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
HKG is one airport where a slightly longer layover is actually tolerable... The CX lounges, plenty of shopping...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

I checked in 6 hours early back in March just to savor the lounge Photos linked below.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.