Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous-Azul Blue in Tulum, MX

Old Mar 21, 07, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT

If you thought you had to be Robin Leach to experience the lifestyles of the rich and famous go to Azul Blue. Though not inexpensive, the experience, as the Mastercard commercial says, is "priceless." Azul Blue has only been open since Dec. 15 and if this is how the hotel is running in just 3 months it bodes very well for the future.

I visited with two girlfriends as this was our annual girls only getaway. Not exactly "Girls Gone Wild" as we are all middle aged (hate to admit that) married, with children. That being said we do like to enjoy a good time with food, wine and pampering a major part of our getaways. We have previously gone to London, Prague and Cancun. In Cancun we stayed at different all inclusive resorts and always enjoyed ourselves. This trip though was the best ever.

It all started with the limo ride from the airport. While 1.5 hours away from CUN it is on a major road and it does go very fast. It goes faster if you are sipping champagne!

Before you even step foot on Mexican soil the pampering begins. A "Preference Sheet" is sent to you so you can pick your pillow (from a selection of 6) pick your newspaper and magazine (mine was USA Today and People) pick your soaps and aromatherapy scent for your room. (cocanut and lavender, in case you were wondering). As most people arrive mid day they ask you if you would like afull lunch upon arrival or snacks. As we arrived at 10:00PM (we were lucky to have gotten out the day BEFORE the NY area storm) they had a selection of tapas for us in the Bar. The tapas included ceviche, scallops on truffles, shrimp, beef and other delights. A great teaser for what was to come.

Your preference sheet asked if you would like to have your BUTLER unpack. Yes, I said butler. The hotel is set up with 6 sets of villas around the property. The 6 suites have 16 units on two floors. There is a butler on call for each cluster of villas. Having never had a butler (by the way they are trained in the British style) and having never had anybody unpack for me I said YES (what else could I say). The luggage was magically whisked away and was in the suites by the time we finished our tapas.

The suites are huge. I was in a Standard and I loved it. The standards have the jacuzzi outdoors on a deck. I love to be outside so this was perfect. My GFs had the superior. Their jacuzzis were in the suite, separated by a curtain from the rest of the room. The butler will draw you a bath and while I only requested that once my friends had it waiting for them in their respective suites every night at 10:30PM. The butler will even throw rose petals in the bath. They sort of float on all the bubbles...The amenities in the suite are Bulgari and you get a bathrobe and slippers. You also have your own Ipod to use. They pre load it with your choice of music (mine was classical) and you can keep it in its docking station and then bring it to the pool with you (they lend you headphones). There are safes in the room and they are big enough for a laptop. The fridge is stocked with beer/mixers/soda and restocked daily. You can order a drink any time of day or night and your butler will deliver it. I would always get salsa, chips, and guacamole and a margarita delivered.

The most amazing part of Azul Blue is the cuisine. They bill themselves as Gourmet Inclusive and that is not an overstatement. It was probably the finest gourmet cuisine I have had. The executive chef. He is from Germany by way of lots of places and now calls Mexico home. His sous chef is only 25 and the 2 of them our unbeatable. They come around and meet all the guests, ask for preferences, likes, dislikes, etc. They are always circulating during the meals to make sure everything is perfect, and it is. The tasting menu (which is an extra charge) was incredible. It was 12 courses (we think as we sort of lost count) and each was more amazing then the previous one. It was a feast for all the senses, not just taste. All the presenatations were inventive and beautiful. Little things,like including edible floral designs, were impressive. Our desert at the tasting menu actually smelled like perfume and tasted as good as it looked. I especially enjoyed the ceviche bar at lunch. Chef will gladly tell you how to prepare any dish you take a liking to. They also have an Asian restaurant with incredible sushi. Of course, the fish is fresh daily as it comes from the local fishermen straight from the Caribbean. The house wines and the wine list is exceptional. The sommelier will work with you for just the right pairings.

I enjoyed the location and biking to the Tulum ruins. It gave me a chance to work off all the calories. The property has a 3 tiered sand beach but you can not go in the Caribbean. There is a beach that they can bring you to 5 minutes away, or you can bike there. The infinity pool is gorgeous and has a swim up bar as you never want to be too far from a good drink, right.

A tip to Mojito drinker who want to avoid sugar. Have them made with Splenda and they taste great.....Also, have the pool butler or the beach butler bring them to you.

I put in a link to the hotel website on the Luxury Hotels board. Do yourself a favor and go. It is best for couples but they do accept children (and middle aged ladies who want to relax). The prices start at around $900. per couple depending on season. Almost forgot, one of the best spas I have ever been to.

Hope you enjoyed this trip report. I can tell you I will go back to Azul Blue, but next time with my husband. The website is: http://azulbluemexico.com.

Cheers

Last edited by cruisr; Mar 21, 07 at 4:05 pm Reason: asked in pms to add website
Old Mar 21, 07, 2:29 pm
Community Director

What a wonderful report! I'm glad you included so many details, because all those services is what clearly sets this property apart. It makes me want to pack up and head to Tulum. I like Tulum very much, with its beautiful beach and easy access to Mayan ruins. It's good to know there is now a great place to stay.
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:09 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Thanks for that. I think I have some PMs to send now ...
Old Mar 21, 07, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds absolutely wonderful! Azul Blue is on the list. Thanks for the report. :-:

Haven't received any PMs about it yet
Old Mar 29, 07, 10:56 am

Why can't you go into the water at the hotel's beach?
Old Mar 29, 07, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great report

http://azulbluemexico.com/ is a booking site

homepage = http://www.karismahotels.com/azul_blue/

rates (from $586) seem a little high, considering these 5 luxury all-inclusives in the Caribbean, 3 of which are private islands >

Curtain Bluff - $495
Petit St Vincent - $605
Spice Island - $635
Jumby Bay - $775
Cayo Espanto - $995

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 19, 07 at 4:00 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: