Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

DL Transatlantic Business Elite March 2007

Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Dear all,

Here is the last of my spring trip reports! To trace back to almost September last year, Delta has bought the traffic rights between JFK and London from United Airlines, and subsequently announced its immediately re-launching from JFK to London Gatwick, and in celebration, DL announces a cheap $199 fare in Y, and a better one, $999RT in Business Elite. Of course, I could not pass out on this opportunity to fly DL Biz Elite and got some nice Alaska miles and EQMs as well. So I bought a RT for travel in March.

Since I have been to London for a few times, I decide to buy a separate ticket to Manchester and my original plan is to fly VLM, but due to its limited weekend schedule and I don’t really want to go from LCY to LGW, I decide to go with BA on the way to MAN, and buy a cheap Jet2.com fare on the way back – my first European LCC experience.

So my main goal of this trip is to try out Delta’s Business Elite cabin, and of course, my expectation is much lower because DL is no BA, VS, or even CO. I have already heard much about the narrowness of its J seats on the Boeing 767-300ER, so I adjust my expectations accordingly and my goals are to:
1. To measure Delta against the recent outburst of all-J airlines, such as MAXjet and Silverjet… I flew Maxjet back then, so use it as a comparison point.
2. To see how Delta compared to other US based airlines and to answer the ultimate question, how much will I pay for DL J in the future, or will I ever pay a normal fare, or even a normal I fare to fly DL J ($2500)?

Regardless, I got a good deal at $999USD, and based on the amount of NRSAs and low load factors in J and Y, I guess DL needs more promotions, and maybe bring back the $999 fare again will be nice. I dream…

Here goes the trip!
March 9, 2007
DL 1 JFK-LGW Lv1905 Arr0725+1 Boeing 767-300ER N177DZ/”1707”
Photo Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5btvY

I have no doubt that Delta’s ground experience at JFK’s Terminal Three is definitely the lowest point of this trip, and indeed the whole DL ground operation at JFK is nightmarish and confusing. There are no signs directing you to the BizElite area, and there are no staff to direct you to the right place. The whole Terminal 2/3 complex is just so “complex” and “difficult” to navigate, and DL simply needs to rethink the whole layout, and with the increased flights this summer, I can only imagine chaos, and will avoid DL simply for the unacceptable experiences in the ground. BizElite line was not particularly busy when I arrived, and there were three parties in front of me, but if you take a close look to my first picture, there were no one at the BizElite lines… none of the two counters I showed… indeed one of the Y agents were checking in the J folks. So the line grew significantly… by the time I was done, the Biz line had ten parties… that is why DL needs to do something. The security line was long, but okay.

Since our gate was 10 today, I used the BizElite lounge near gate 10. The lounge itself was crowded and huge. Food selections include nice cheese and fruit platters, and various canapés, but the hot food wagons, which contained crab cakes, were long gone when I was there at 5:30pm and no sign for any refills, which were cheap if you ask me. No free wifi!

Boarding began at 6:26pm and two gate agents were helping with passengers, and soon the plane was filled. The load in J was decent, but the seat next to me remained empty and the last row also was empty, and couple passengers had the seats next to them free. Amenity kits, which were like CX Y amenity kit, but in suede and slightly larger pouch, and headsets are placed at each seat, as well as Dasani bottled water. The F/As then came across with orange juice, mimosa and champagne after most Y passengers settled down. Menus were passed out, as well as a newspaper trolleys with local newspapers and UK as well.

For the outbound flight, I had new seats with the updated entertainment system, which was excellent. It was based on the Song’s system with AVOD; many movies and television shows, as well as various games, and better than NWA’s AVOD system too (more choices for television shows). It is just excellent and better than all US airlines and some second tier Asian and European carriers. The seats themselves are leather (like the new domestic F seats) with increased recline and the footrest came up higher, compared to the older Biz Elite seats, which I had on the way back. Despite the seats are narrower, they were comfortable for sleeping, but my choice for 1G was not so good. It was closed to galley, which meant lots of noises. However, I can say I prefer these kinds of sleeper seats than those sloppy sliding so-called full flat seats.

However, the main problem with this flight was inappropriate NRSA/non rev employee behaviors, which was so typical with almost all US carriers except Continental. They were supposed to be discrete, but of course, this particular retired ATL gate agent immediately spotted the F/As and told her that she looked familiar and had a big old conversation throughout the pre-takeoff ritual. Thankfully, the conversation settled down, as this particular agent and her sister moved towards the other side of the cabin. But for a revenue passenger, these kinds of behaviors are really rude and reflect badly on the airlines and no matter how you try to add amenities to the premium cabins, these behaviors really discount and cheapen the products. I understand that we all want to say hi to friends, but there are other ways to do it.

The flight attendants are efficient and pretty much follow the books in terms of completing the meal services. They are polite, but of course, it is no SQ flight. They are really rough in the galley, which results in lots of banging throughout the meals and shortly after the meals, and also, their conversation at the galleys is rather loud, and I listen to this whole conversation between the F/A and the off duty pilot about their career and housing investments and going back to school, while playing video games after breakfast. Also the most important thing that happens is that this F/A eating a salad, while the plane was on a take-off roll. I don’t think if this is against safety regulation, I cannot imagine that it is right for a F/A to chop on the Business Class salad while taking off. If there is an urgent situation, I can imagine the salad is blocking the exits and flying all over the place. What do you think?

As usual, JFK was busy, and the F/As were able to take the beverage and entrée orders before takeoff. We finally took off from R/W13R at 7:47pm, and the flying time was a quick six hours and twenty minutes, which is still an early arrival. The routing was typical transatlantic: 35,000feet first and then down to 34,000feet, before crossing St. John, and reached the other side of the Ocean, as we approached Cork, Ireland, and then along the Southern coast of UK, and then Southampton and Brighton.

Hot towels began the meal services, and I was fairly impressed with the meals. No tray is used for the main meal, and every course is set up individually, and I like the choices of salad or soup as a second starter course. Of course, the appetizer is a bit cheap and can use some seafood like other carriers, but the soup is a nice alternative to salad. I am fairly Asian in that aspect and needs my “soup” at every meal. The meal is no fancy culinary creation, but you know what, it is a sufficient service. Continental is perhaps a bit better with variety and choices of entrees, but it is definitely better than MAXjet. Here is the wine list and menu transcript:

BusinessElite Personalized Dining

Wine List
White Wines
Robertson Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2005 – South Africa
Pere Ventura Chardonnay 2004 – Penedes, Spain
Cavit Collection Pinot Grigio 2005 – Trentino, Italy
Warburn Premium Reserve 2005 Chardonnay – South Eastern Australia
La Forge Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2005 – France
Kaltern Alto Adige Chardonnay 2005 – Alto Adige, Italy

Red Wines
Plunkett Blackwood Ridge Shiraz 2004 – Victoria, Australia
Cline Cellars Zinfandel 2004 – California
Les Faisses Syrah/Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 – Languedoc, France
Segu Carmenere 2005 – Maule Valley, Chile
Chateau Roustaing Vieilles Vignes 2005 – Bordeaux, France
Finca Eugenio Bustos Amancay Cabernet Sauvignon – Uco Valley, Argentina

Delahaie, Champagne, France
Piedemonte Moscatel, Late Harvested – Navarra, Spain
Muscat De Beaumes de Venise Vignerons – Beaumes de Venise, france
Vista Alergre Reserve Ruby Portugal

Menu Selections
Appetizer
Grilled long-stem Artichoke accompanied by Bell Pepper Triangles, Mozzarella Cheese, oven-dried Tomato and a Kalamata Olive

Starters
Please choose one of the following
Freshly mixed Mesclun Salad with sliced Mushrooms and Grape Tomatoes, offered with Blue Cheese dressing or Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Or
Hearty Butter Squash Soup with Pumpkin, Pear and Ginger

Assorted Breads and Butter

Main Course
Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Mushroom and Sage Cream Sauce, accompanied by Potato Gnocchi sautéed in Butter, Spinach topped with Red Onions and grilled Yellow Squash
Or
Celebrity Chef Michelle Bernstein’s Original Entrée
Breast of Chicken braised in Red Wine with Tomatoes, Olives and Capers, presented with Yukon gold mashed Potatoes and Pea Medley
Or
Eggplant Ravioli complemented by Pomodoro sauce, tossed with Radicchio, Corn, and Feta Cheese
Grilled Shrimp may be added to this Entrée
Or
Hearty Butter Squash Soup with Pumpkin, Pear and Ginger
Topped with Sour Cream and Chives

Fruit or Cheese
Sliced, fresh seasonal fruit (Melon, cantaloupe, and grapes)
Fine Cheeses selected to perfectly complement one another in flavor and texture, offered with Grapes (Swiss and Cheddar with Carr’s)

Dessert
All Natural Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae with your choice of Sauces, Whipped Cream and Chopped Nuts, garnished with a Pirouline Cookie

After dinner, I watched an episode of South Park and tried to sleep. I think I napped for an hour. Lights were turned back on around 1am NYC time for breakfast. The breakfast is a simple one-tray affair, which should be the case. Fruit plate has some nice papaya, grapefruit, pineapple and strawberry), and the choice of pastries include sesame seed bagels and croissants. The hot egg entrée is nice.

Breakfast
Fresh Fruit
Breakfast Bread with Butter, Cream Cheese and Preserves

Kellogg’s Cereal served with Milk
Scrambled Eggs with Cream Cheese, Tomatoes and Chives, accompanied by Turkey Canadian Bacon and roasted Potato wedges

03/07 BE US-EUROPE C2C (ATL-LGW ATL-MAN, ATL-EDI, ATL-BRU, ATL-DUB, JFK-LGW, JFK-SNN, JFK-DUB, JFK-BRU, JFK-MAN, CVG-LGW)
Basically all BE menus to Europe will be the same one, but other language-specific countries have different menus, which include translations.

Descent began at 6:34am UK time, and it was interesting to look out the window, as it was an unusual experience for me. I did not do transatlantic crossing much. We landed at R/W26L at 7:07am, and parked at gate 50 eight minutes later. Gatwick is a busy airports with lots BA 777s (there are so many BA 777s), and I also spotted my hometown airline, Oasis Hong Kong Boeing 747-400s.

March 10, 2007
BA 2914 LGW-MAN Lv1135 Arr1235 Boeing 737-300 G-LGTG
Photo link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5btv6

Immigration line was long, as expected, and just gotten worst as more US flights arrived. The immigration officer was quite detailed in the questioning process and I felt a bit uncomfortable because she really invaded some of the privacy but I guess that is the reality of traveling today. I headed up to the departure lounge soon, as I have already OLCI and selected my seat. I just printed out my boarding pass and proceed to check in my bag. The new UK security rules seem to be okay. I was expecting worst, but the whole experience was pleasant. My carryon bag had no problem fitting the size box, and the bag drop line was simple. The only thing that annoys me is that my OW Emerald status is not recognized at the boarding pass or under the AA number, unlike CX’s boarding passes, which recognize your OW status immediately. Then I headed directly to the security line, as I expect chaos. Well the wait was long and the whole process will take thirty minutes or longer. But the whole process is so much calmer than in the US. No yelling from TSA, and everyone was calm, listen to instruction and cultured enough. No one is giving anyone attitude and that should be the way security runs, and how passengers should behave. TSA should send someone over and learn about how to be efficient and strict about security, without being rude. Also passengers seem to be more patient and understanding.

I headed towards the first class lounge, which was small, and as I walked in, one of the passengers was literally giving the lounge agent a lecture on how pathetic this F lounge was and how small it was. That poor agent just nodded her head and listened. Well the lounge was rather unimpressive but you can ask for toasts and some hot items. I am not particularly hungry, as it is like the middle of the night in the US. I settled in a corner and paid for the 1 hours pass. I still did not understand why a world class airline cannot provide free wifi, not to mention it is BA. The crowd sort of dissipated around 10am, when all the DFW, IAH, and US flights started to board. My flight to Manchester was showing on time, so I left the lounge and headed over to the UK area. Of course, my biggest complaint about the whole experience was the ground experience. Gate agents really don’t show up to the gate till five minutes before boarding, but I don’t mind if there are enough TV monitors or if the gate monitors can show the flight number in advance. I headed towards gate 57F, but there was no indication that this is the gate for the Manchester flight. As the departure time came, there was no gate agent and nobody was announcing anything. When I headed towards BA desk, they just told me that the gate was 57F, but not running late. Of course, I was walking around and finally peaked into one of the “internal” use flight monitors and discovered that we were first at a BUS gate, and our flight was delayed for an hour. There should be an announcement or some kind of display. I never get the UK system, except that it is horrific.

Finally at noon, someone showed up the gate and then told us that the flight was delayed due to mechanical reason, but the plane would be ready soon. They should have made that announcement around the original departure time, so we know what is going on. At 12:31pm, we started to board and our flight was parked over at the International pier at 113. We boarded this Boeing 737-300 soon, and it was a 100% full flight. Door was closed at 12:55pm, but we did not push back till ten minutes later due to traffic. Some passenger in the back just yelled about if our plane was going anywhere, but no F/A seemed to care, and thankfully, we pushed back a minute later. With the busy traffic, we finally took off from R/W26L at 1:29pm. Flying time was a quick thirty-eight minutes with a 24,000feet cruising attitude.

In-flight service was a beverage with a pack of Sky Bites Gold (seeds, crunchy bites, and raisins), and descent soon began at 1:46pm. We landed on R/W24R at 2:07pm, and parked at gate 42. It is a decent experience except the delay and poor ground communication. They obviously know that there is a mechanical problem and should be reported it at the screen and in the lounges, so I will stay put before venturing out.

March 11, 2007
LS 905 MAN-LGW Lv1800 Arr1910 Boeing 737-300 G-CELF “Jet Loves Valencia”
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5btwC
I took Jet 2 on the way back to Gatwick, and yes it is my first jet2 flight and my first European LCC flight. Menzies handled the ground services for jet2 and the check-in was quick and efficient. The agent was smiling, so not too bad for a LCC.

The flight was an inbound from Malaga, and only arriving a few minutes late, so I expect an on time departure. Gate 7 is a stair gate, and with a really light load, nobody was in a rush. Turnaround was really quick, and boarding soon commenced at 5:41pm, and nine minutes later, door was closed, and I was at 2A, as well as another lady at 2C, and the whole front section was empty. I sort of hope that lady would move to 2D or another row, but did not. The flight was short enough, so it was a hassle to move. But it meant I could not take many good pictures. Anyway it is a night flight.

We pushed back at 5:57pm and headed towards R/W24L soon after, and took off at 6:10pm. Flying time was forty-four minutes with a 19,000feet cruising attitude. Service was all BOB, and I got an OJ for 80 pence. Everyone was friendly, but the seats were really tight and I have never been to such a tight seat on a similar a/c. Even WN offers a bit more room, and I guess that is European LCC, and the pitch is 30” for sure. The seats are also in a more upright position than I like, and thankfully it was a short flight. The weather was beautiful and we had a nice scenic flight over to London. The F/As were very easy going and did not mind children running around the galley. Decent began at 6:28pm and we landed on R/W26L at 6:54pm, and arrived at gate 4 a few minutes later. Bags came out quickly and in all, it is a comparable flight with BA, but of course, BA offers free beverages, a nicer a/c, and for me/elite flyers, lounge access. But I will definitely stick with BA and hopefully VLM next time.

March 12, 2007
DL 2 LGW-JFK Lv1100Arr1510 Boeing 767-300ER N1612T/1612 with old Biz Elite Spirit of Delta livery
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5btwg

Check in at LGW for DL was a breeze. I was “security-checked” by a younger and hotter version of “Jamie Oliver,” who was really cute. Then I approached one of the empty lines, with boarding pass printed, as well bags tagged. Everything was orderly, simple, and efficient, the way a premium experience should be. Fast track labels were attached, which saved a good chunk of time. I ventured out to the shops a bit before heading to the Crown Room, which was okay. Breakfast pastries, yogurts, and cereals are available, as well as the normal snacks. Everything is self-service, so no need to worry about tips for a diet coke. There are ample sitting rooms, but no free wifi again.

DL had quite an impressive operation here at LGW. At 11am, there was one flight at ATL (N179DN), a flight to CVG (N195DN), and our flight, and then an hour later, the second ATL flight (N1605) will depart. There was a secondary security check at the gate, and my bags were searched again. Boarding began right on time at 10am, which was very early. I like it so I can take a few cabin pictures. The purser, Greg, immediately welcomed passengers, passed out menus and amenity kits (a different color one but same contents; grey on the outbound and red and black on return), and took the entrée orders. The load was 22J and 100Y, which was light, but it was still early Spring season. I enjoyed an empty seat next to me. I saw the same NRSA groups, but they were subtler, as they saw no friends, which should be the correct behaviors of NRSA. Right? Discrete and melt into the crowd! The F/As were a bit softer on the way back, despite they flipped over a tray during the flight. The banging was minimal, and all of them are polite and professional. Less stressed than the outbound flight!

Door was closed early at 10:45am, and we pushed back two minutes later. We took off from R/W26L at 11am following the DL’s flight to Cincinnati. The routing took us over Southampton, Exeter, before reaching 34,000feet, and the passing the city of Cork in Ireland and then straight out to the Atlantic Ocean. We moved up first to 36,000feet, and then 38,000feet before crossing just along the shore of New Foundland and Halifax, and then crossing into Cape Cod, South of Providence, Mystic Seaport and then Islip, and then JFK. Flying time was seven hours and forty-three minutes.

The lunch was nice and finally a better rosemary shrimp appetizer. The bread selection includes nice Focaccia rolls, pretzel rolls, and multigrain rolls. The chicken orzo soup is nice, as well as the Mushroom Ravioli. But the ice cream sundaes were not loaded today, so I was disappointed. Here is the menu transcript:
Wine list is the same as DL 1.
Menu Selections
Appetizer
Grilled Rosemary Shrimp accompanied by Daikon and Sweet Pepper Slaw

Starters
Fresh Mesclun Lettuce Mix with Cucumber Slices, Tomato Wedges and toasted Pine Nuts, offered with Garlic and Sour Cream dressing or Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Or
Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Orzo featuring Zucchini, Carrots and Red Peppers

Assorted Breads and Butter
Focaccia Rolls, Multigrain rolls, and Pretzel Rolls

Main Course
Celebrity Chef Michelle Bernstein’s Original Entrée
Grilled Tenderloin of Beef with Chimichurri Sauce, accompanied by Corn Polenta with Blue Cheese and sautéed Mushrooms
Or
Seared Turbot with Lobster Dill Sauce, accompanied by Lemon Basmati Rice and Asparagus with grilled Red Bell Peppers
Or
Mushroom Ravioli enhanced by Porcini Mushroom Sauce, tossed with Argula, diced Tomatoes, Shiitake Mushrooms and chopped Walnuts
Roasted Chicken Breast may be added to this Entrée
Or
Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Orzo featuring Zucchini, Carrots and Red Peppers, garnished with shredded Parmesan Cheese

Fruit or Cheese
Sliced, fresh seasonal fruit
Fine Cheeses selected to perfectly complement one another in flavor and texture, offered with Grapes

Dessert
Premium Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae with your choice of Sauces, Whipped Cream and Chopped Nuts, garnished with a Pirouline Cookie

The entertainment selection was much weaker on this older cabin, and everything runs on cycles and the worst, the controller was not working properly at both seats, and it is impossible to play the video games, as the controller cannot react accordingly. I went to sleep again, and I know the F/As came around with a snack basket.

Continuous Snacks
At the conclusion of the first meal service, a variety of snacks will be available for your enjoyment.

Around 1:29pm NYC time, the second service started, and it was another one-tray affair, and I had the chicken salad, which was okay.

Afternoon Refreshment
Please choose one of the follwing
Hot Margherita Pizza with Pesto Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese, accompanied by a Garden Salad with Cucumber, Cherry Tomatoes and Olives, served with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Or
Asian-style Chicken Salad featuring roasted Chicken Breast with toasted sesame seeds, snow peas, and Oranges, offered with Sesame Ginger Dressing, Breadsticks and fresh Fruit

Warmed Cookies

03/07 BE EUROPE-US C2C (LGW-ATL, LGW-CVG, MAN-ATL, MAN-JFK, BRU-ATL, BRU-JFK, DUB-ATL, DUB-JFK, SNN-ATL, SNN-JFK)

Descent soon began at 2:16pm and it was a beautiful day in New York. After passing Islip, we made a straight approach towards R/W22L, and landed at 2:43pm. We parked at gate 4 four minutes later. The immigration hall was pretty busy, but not for US citizens. The bags came out within reasonable frame of time and priority tags did work in this case.

So what is my verdict?
Compared to MAXjet, DL scores better in terms of ability to get meaningful mileage points and a better meal spread and an amenity kit was passed out. Also I feel the DL seats reclined a bit more and provide a few extra inches of legroom. The entertainment system is also better on the updated DL aircraft. An AVOD and a real entertainment system are better than a Dig E player regardless. However, DL scores lower in terms of flight attendant service (Maxjet is more professional and less rough), ground service (definitely a third class experience at JFK), lounge (free wifi and meaningful food spread), and good arrival service (DL does not have one).

For $999, it is more than reasonable, but I doubt I am willing to pay $2000 “I” fare for the same trip. With many options out there, DL really needs to work on improving the product further. If Continental offers a similar fare, I will rather fly CO and other airlines. Nevertheless, I feel the product is better than AA or UA’s business class. I have yet to fly the new generation of AA seats, but I feel that DL is big stronger in the meal and seat prospect, but AA and UA provide a better ground experience and similar lounge experiences.

Thanks for reading this series of reports!

Carfield
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:43 pm

Good report! I've heard that initially there were problems with the new IFE systems - glad to know they have been fixed. The seats on the 763ERs are very narrow - 18.5 inches which poses a problem for those who are "wide."

FYI, DL does have an arrival facility at LGW - it's located in the Sofitel Hotel attached to North Terminal. Hot showers and continental breakfast are offered to Businesslite and DL Platinum paxs in Y. No need for an invitation - a boarding stub will do. No land side arrival service at JFK, however, if you are connecting you can access the Businesselite lounge which does have showers - unlike the policies of some lounges in Asia and Europe which point out they are "departure" lounges for outbound premium/elite paxs only.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Again, nice report - couldn't agree more - for 1-2k TATL DL is fine but when it is 5-7k, forget it
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:22 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thanks for the entertaining and informative report.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Nice TR Carfield! Fortuitous that I'm taking DL from MAN-ATL and return leaving day after tomorrow; first time in Biz Elite.

Anybody know what arrival facilities are available when I arrive in MAN?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Nice TR Carfield! Fortuitous that I'm taking DL from MAN-ATL and return leaving day after tomorrow; first time in Biz Elite.

Anybody know what arrival facilities are available when I arrive in MAN?
Sorry, old chap, no arrivals facilities at MAN for those traveling in DL BE. In fact, LGW is the only airport where DL has dedicated arrivals facilities.

If you would like a shower to freshen up after flying MAN-ATL, go to the DL CRC in Terminal E (upstairs from customs and immigration). There are three shower suites available. Just present your DL BE boarding stub for entry. All CRCs are accessible on same-day connecting flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.